Spark Plug Coated with Engine Oil

Just trying to hold out hope and look for something simple here so....question....was the spark plug already loose when you took it out or was it tight? I ask because if it was extrememly loose, this could account for the "air escaping" sound you heard when cranking the engine and if valve cover was leaking could also explain how oil got into the cylinder as well as on the ground. Its a long shot but wouldnt that be nice? :cheerleader:

ok, the "air escaping sound" sounds like a whistling kettle. There is only 1 blow of it, with each crank of the engine. No "air escaping sound" is heard after the engine starts running.

I have thrown the spark plug away. Anyway, its just engine oil coated at the electrode, nothing much to tell from it.

My bike leaks engine oil now. No visible leaks from the visible parts of the engine.
Sparkplugs can tell amazing stories.. you need a good light and a magnifying glass but you can tell a lot about a motor.. :) (and most good spark plug reads go down the drain when a guy runs the thing back to the pits on the motor... :*(

You may want to make sure the cylinder is firing - do you have a spark - if you don't have blueish smoke exhust and you have wet electrodes maybe iginition problem (high tension electric distribution problem - you may be getting normal blow by with no fire to clean up the cyclinder. No ignition the the spark would probably be a mess. Plug could be bad too. Switch plugs and see what happens. Do the ole nail in the spark boot trick - see if you get a good blue spark.

If you got a good spark and the plug itself is good - you my want to get a real mechanic involved...

Leaking on the ground seperate problem probably seal somewhere

I went to the mechanic today. He took out the plug, saw the oil on it, and says its pretty normal...not that serious.

He told me that the reason for that oil could be a slightly worn piston ring. However, he also told me it would be very costly to replace that.

Anyway, he did a rev test. While on neutral, he reved my engine a couple of times till the red line. He mentioned that there would be noticible white smoke if there is a major leak. There isn't any white smoke on mine though.

Alright, am I being too paranoid here with the oil on my plugs? Afterall, there isn't white smoke. Oh, my engine is also able to reach the red line. If there is something wrong with the piston, it shouldn't be able to reach the red line because of loss of power. Am i right to say that?

Theres no way for any of us to tell, we cant see your plug. Why don't you take a picture of it and post it up.

And as far as the redline comments. You could get that thing to redline on 2 cylinders.

If the three other cylinders are fine and one has issues, it's not from normal wear and tear. There's something very wrong and it's going to continue to get worse.

When you have an internal coolant leak you look for white smoke.

Rev test? This "mechanic" reved the engine up to red line without a load on it? ???
I hope you didn't pay for his "professional" services.

pull the new plug and see how it looks. While you are in there, pull all 4 label them and keep track of which hole you took them from. Take pix and let the folks here see what you have going on. Lots of amazing talent here, some hardcore big name engine builders that can comment on your situation if they have enough to work with :beerchug:

If the three other cylinders are fine and one has issues, it's not from normal wear and tear. There's something very wrong and it's going to continue to get worse.

When you have an internal coolant leak you look for white smoke.

Rev test? This "mechanic" reved the engine up to red line without a load on it? ???
I hope you didn't pay for his "professional" services.
yea I saw that too.... wtf is a "rev test" ... I would take issue with "oil is normal on a plug" also..

FWIW IMO... if a guy is going to pull a motor down to ring a hole, you may as well do them all... does not make sense to spend all that time and money to do just one cylinder..

yea I saw that too.... wtf is a "rev test" ... I would take issue with "oil is normal on a plug" also..

FWIW IMO... if a guy is going to pull a motor down to ring a hole, you may as well do them all... does not make sense to spend all that time and money to do just one cylinder..
It definately sounds like somebodies hole is getting ringed ???

It definately sounds like somebodies hole is getting ringed ???

+1 And wtf is a rev test suppossed to prove???? And yes, you're engine would still reach the rev limit, regardless. Who is this so called "mechanic". Just want to make sure I steer clear of him.::9

Last edited:
its troublesome to remove the plugs again. Maybe I will do it during the coming holidays next month if I'm free.

I feel something might be wrong with the piston ring too, but its really not worth the money to fix it yet, if the problem is not severe. I might very well just sell off the bike instead of repairing it.

There is no such thing as a "Rev Test". The mechanic that did that, if it was a mechanic, needs to be fired before he ruins a customers engine.

i went to the mechanic today. :rofl:

He told me that the reason for that oil could be a slightly worn piston ring. However, he also told me it would be very costly to replace that.

Anyway, he did a rev test. While on neutral, he reved my engine a couple of times till the red line. He mentioned that there would be noticible white smoke if there is a major leak. There isn't any white smoke on mine though.

wth

cmon now randy we all know what the rev test is its when someone is getting the shaft because he dont know what is wrong either he just bought it, but needless to say if one of the plugs is that oil saturated its probably because of a bad ring set and i really hope that you dont sell your junk to someone else without disclosing there is something possibly wrong

How many miles are on your bike? only on 1 cylinder, sounds head related..

its troublesome to remove the plugs again. Maybe I will do it during the coming holidays next month if I'm free.

I feel something might be wrong with the piston ring too, but its really not worth the money to fix it yet, if the problem is not severe. I might very well just sell off the bike instead of repairing it.
Honestly it takes longer to lift the tank than it takes to pull the plugs...

You need to stop, find a "competent" tech and start over on this..

I can say that any guy claiming to be a tech that does a "rev" test is a hack trying to pull the wool over your eyes..

Not sure what part of the country you are in but I am most certain that good hands on advice is available.. (and this is a MUST before ANYONE takes that thing apart for repairs)..i

your guy reminds me of some bozo that sells a customer a bill of goods and then bends that same customer over the tool box and sticks it right up his tail pipe (along with a $$$ bill)... Get the hell out of that guys store...

After dozens of years in the shop biz, those guys just get under my skin trying to razzle dazzle a guy who knows no better and does not have the available knowledge to know better.. Believe it or not, it is easier to hose a guy that knows a "little bit" than a guy that knows nothing at all about a machine..

Rookies make a living off unsuspecting customers and guess who pays the bill for mistakes?

yea bro...you could start by letting us know where you're from(since you didnt put it in your profile) and maybe someone on here is from the same area and could point you toward someone thats not going to try to blow smoke up your :moon:

You have a 10 year old sport bike (a Busa to boot) and it leaks a little oil. That's odd. Not that it's normal, but it could be expected if it hasn't been taken care of by someone who knows what their doing (not the rev test mechanic).

Back