oil drain pan/plug issues

(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 18 2007,16:47)
(Glyn @ Sep. 18 2007,11:06)
(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 18 2007,11:43) Gyln you from Long Island?
Yes Gunny, I am.
I had to google Lawn Guyland
laugh.gif
There's some sort of rumor going around that we tawk funny
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

The washer on the drain plug is not ment to be reused... it is supposed to be replaced everytime you remove the plug. It is called a crush washer... it can only be crushed once.

+1 for threadsert over Helicoil. Over size plugs work well too.

I am curious if this was the "First" time in 20K miles you had the plug out...holy cow man... may as well just go another 20
smile.gif

Here is what mine looked like back in July. I was losing oil like a cancer patient losing weight. I changed my oil and kept smelling that fresh oil smell every time I stopped. My oil pan drain hole stripped out.

IMG_1886.jpg

Here is what mine looked like back in July. I was losing oil like a cancer patient losing weight. I changed my oil and kept smelling that fresh oil smell every time I stopped. My oil pan drain hole stripped out.

IMG_1886.jpg

Here is what it looked like after a 14mm x 1.5 drain plug kit directly from Timesert was installed by local machine shop for $30. I dropped the oil pan my self. All took about a 3 to 4 hours minus shop time. Was able to use stock drain plug with not leaks so far. Better than $110 stock replace or $300 aftermarket. I'm happy with it.

IMG_1892.jpg

You are all wrong. Everybody overlooked the simplest, cheapest, and most readily available solution. Quick, easy, and even disposable!

bxp38003.jpg

Come on, lighten up. A serious topic always needs a little light-hearted humor!

I did the oversized plug in my 99 2 yrs ago. Worked fine the next couple of changes then...(and I was not over torquing) noticed a leak. Tightened a little more, bigger leak, loosened and it got better. Long story short, cracked oil pan. Will not use the over sized again. My go to guy fixed by welding up and placing new threads in there some how. worked fine and no more troubles. Just my opinion. Do not want to crack the pan...Bad day it was for all concerned........

okay.....some of you mentioned heli coil....

I've done some reading...there is a controversy over helicoils and their effectiveness.....a few sites suggest using a "timesert" instead ...that they are more reliable and not prone to coming loose or leaking....

any experts in this area.....btw this is scaring me enough to just go with a news oil drain pan.....then I won't worry about it.  with one of these fix it gadgets....everytime I crank the throttle I will wonder if my oil will be springing a leak.....

any more input....?
They're right. Timeserts work MUCH better than helicoils. The 00-05 cadillac devils tend to blow head gaskets. During the replacement proccess you have to install new threads in the block due to the head lifting. At first GM was saying to use helicoils, but they kept bustin loose while the customer was ridin down the road after the repair. Now they say to use timeserts and they work MUCH better. They don't bust loose after installing them. If you go that route, I would deff. use a timesert rather than helicoil.

If it's holding for now then I think you're worrying a little too much about it. It should hold for the season and then fix it this winter. Tmesert or new pan is up to you but if it was mine I wouldn't try to do it with the pan on because of the risk of getting the chips in the motor. So, if the pan is coming off anyways then I would spend the extra few bucks and put the new pan, pan gasket, drain plug and washer on it and be done. JMO

Back