Well, I’m F$&@ed. Over tightened oil drain plug

I stripped the oil drain plug on my 2002... I just replaced the pan... I didn't wanna run the risk of any metal shavings anywhere.... it was a PITA... AS USUAL... exhaust had to come off.... a million bolts... smh… I think im just impatient though, my down time is getting more and more valuable to me as I get older.... I USED TO enjoy wrenching on my bike..... nowadays I would rather have a tooth extracted without novicane than work on the bike, coupled with the fact that it looks like a spaceship to me.

If you have a Gen 2, and pull the pan, there is a seal washer on one of the pan bolts. Make sure you put it back on and in the same hole or it will leak.

I used a 1/2" oversized self tapping drain plug.
Like stated before, I started it and then backed it out to clean off the chips and then repeated.
When all the way through I then used a vacuum to suck any tiny chip that might have gotten
just inside the pan. Then I sealed it with the red stuff. I reseal it at every oil change too.
So far never had a problem and that was over 13 years ago.
Mine stripped before it ever made contact with the pan and yes it was put in straight.

I have no idea between my Gixxer and Busa how many oil changes have been done. But I ALWAYS use a torque wrench. And always recomend using a torque wrench when you're going onto aluminum. It is just to easy to hurt the threads.

maybe use a helicoil. then you'll have steel threads, so you won't have to worry about stripping the threads again.

200.gif

Back