Need help in this decision process(stripped oil drain plug)

How would you repair this?

• flush with oil and use boat plug

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • replace oil pan

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • flush with oil and insert coil

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

screamin kanji

Donating Member
Registered
Changed my oil today and as I removed drain plug I noticed threads were stripped. So I look to my proffessional pals on the Org. to help me decide on how to proceed with the repair. I can: 1. flush oil system with oil to remove any stray metal shavings and use a rubber boat plug (from boat shop, I heard this will work). or 2. replace oil pan or 3. flush oil pan with oil(to remove metal shavings) install coil insert for drain plug.

Of course the best fix would be to replace your oil pan. I think a insert is worth a try. I would never consider a boat plug.
I just got done doing my first oil change and have to say that 16.5 ft lb does not `feel` very tight, and I also wondered if that plug gasket is replaceable???
No leaks though so I guess I`m ok.
Good luck with your repair, whichever way you decide.

Of course the best fix would be to replace your oil pan. I think a insert is worth a try. I would never consider a boat plug.
I just got done doing my first oil change and have to say that 16.5 ft lb does not `feel` very tight, and I also wondered if that plug gasket is replaceable???
No leaks though so I guess I`m ok.
Good luck with your repair, whichever way you decide.

Yes the crush washer is replaceable but there is no need unless it is damaged. 5 years and 2 Busas neither has ever been replaced.

via Tapatalk

Number 3 is good cheap fix.

I'd be more inclined to get a new oil pan but that's just me. I don't like quick remedies as they aren't for sure fixes. IMO

load the tap with grease it will catch the shavings. then flush the pan. all good. thats how we used to do the oil return on a supercharged 5.0 back in the day. (try knocking a hole in a prefectly good v-8 oil pan with a punch) no problems.

^^easy fix^^

If you go the quick-fix route, just safety wire it, and no more worries.
Just check for a slow drip leak for the first x-amount of miles, till you are comfortable with the repair.

Changed my oil today and as I removed drain plug I noticed threads were stripped. So I look to my proffessional pals on the Org. to help me decide on how to proceed with the repair. I can: 1. flush oil system with oil to remove any stray metal shavings and use a rubber boat plug (from boat shop, I heard this will work). or 2. replace oil pan or 3. flush oil pan with oil(to remove metal shavings) install coil insert for drain plug.
If you never use a torque wrench for anything else, USE ONE for your drain plug. Oily threads make it SUPER easy to strip the bolt :banghead:

The previous owner of my last Bike, a '82 Honda night hawk, stripped my threads. Found the next bigger size oil drain plug and re-tapped it.

I would steer clear of a boat drain plug, not sure how well the rubber would hold up to the heat.

I have never had trouble with my heli- coils.

tapatalk - on my HTC ERIS rooted with cyanogen mod 7

Back