Well, I’m F$&@ed. Over tightened oil drain plug

It gets to a slightly tight point then gets loose again. Should have used a tourque wrench like instructions say.

Obviously do not ride it. The bolt will make its way out with the vibrations of the bike (don't ask me how I know) Like C10 said just replace the oil pan or have the threads repaired. Get in touch with some of the people on this thread: Let those unused parts GO! | Parts and Modifications
People giving away enough parts to make a bike one piece at a time.
Replace pan or go to auto store look for larger thread bolt that self threads just center & tighten carefully in damaged aluminum hole so as not to over tighten a 2nd time. Cheap fix few minutes of your time.

Facebook. $40

0B3BFAD7-79BB-432F-8558-03CE10F7E001.png

Tap it for a pipe thread. I forget if it's 3/8 NPT, but that comes to mind. A guy I know called me in panic one night freaking out as there was local race the next day and he Bozo'ed his oil change.

I ran a pipe tap through it slathered with grease to catch all the shavings. I would periodically pull it out, clean it and slather with grease again. I did that until it was fully tapped. A brass pipe plug with Teflon tape worked for the next 8 years.

Replace pan or go to auto store look for larger thread bolt that self threads just center & tighten carefully in damaged aluminum hole so as not to over tighten a 2nd time. Cheap fix few minutes of your time.
I did this about 7 or 8 years ago. With a rubber drain plug after a shop overtightened mine. Will prob do drain pan eventually so I can get a PSR plug

Got drain plug too tight. Oil isn’t leaking but, plug won’t get very tight. How to proceed?

There is an over size plug available. M14-1.50. Auto Zone, Napa, most of those places will have it. They also sell torque wrenches. Probably better get one...
I would also buy the matching tap. You will make better threads with the tap then trying to make new threads with the new plug. After making the new threads you should use a shop vac and put it right on the hole to suck out any shavings that didn't stick to the tap. Just take care to get the tap started straight. If you have not used a tap before. Don't try to go all the way at once. Go in till it gets a bit hard to turn. Then back it out and either brush or vaccume the shaving off. Then go back in. A little oil on the tape will help you get smoother threads. Sounds like a big deal. But it's not. And it's a good permanent fix.

yes you can drill and tap to next larger size bolt or plug. should be easy with aluminum. go to harbor freight, all stuff to do it will be cheap, taps and all. I think they even have copper washer asst. too. I would pull that pan. will be easier and more precise and you can get ALL the shavings.

yes you can drill and tap to next larger size bolt or plug. should be easy with aluminum. go to harbor freight, all stuff to do it will be cheap, taps and all. I think they even have copper washer asst. too. I would pull that pan. will be easier and more precise and you can get ALL the shavings.
As comparatively cheap as the pan gasket is, it just seems like a classic case of "False economy" not to pull the pan!

Back