Spark Plug Coated with Engine Oil

suzuka1980

Registered
I changed my plugs today. one of them had engine oil coated over it.

Obviously there must be some leak for engine oil to be able to enter the cylinder. I believe its some gasket or O-ring.

Where is the leak coming from? does anybody have experience on this? Is it an easy fix or do I need a qualified mechanic?

My first guess would be it's leaking past the piston rings. A compression test should tell you what's going on?

And the answer to the fix is: No, it's not going to be an easy cheap fix :unhappy:

what is a leak down test?

Approximately how much will it cost me to get it repaired then?

Does such a leak actually cause engine oil to drip onto the ground? That's because i see spots of oil on the ground whevever i park my bike.

you have to seperate issues. I just saw a post that APE is selling a leakdown test tool. It's a very simple process to do a leakdown. Granted it's a little more involved than a compression test but a leakdown should tell you from where it's leaking, valve guide, rings, etc you'll hear the air escaping from different areas based on what's leaking.

As far as the repair costs it depends what's leaking.

The easiest way to do it since your not a guy who wrenches on your bike, is to take it to a shop and have them determine what is wrong and how much it is to fix it. Be prepared for sticker shock, as there is no cheap easy fix for oil on the spark plug. Good Luck and let us know how this turns out.

First, lets find out where the iol is. Is it on the ceramic part? Or, is it on the electrode part? If it is on the ceramic portion, the leak is outside of the cylinder. Possibly a valve cover gasket. If it is on the electrode, then more investigation is needed for an internal problem.

first, lets find out where the iol is. Is it on the ceramic part? Or, is it on the electrode part? If it is on the ceramic portion, the leak is outside of the cylinder. Possibly a valve cover gasket. If it is on the electrode, then more investigation is needed for an internal problem.

+1 +1 +1

if there was enough oil to wet the electrode, this thing would look like a mosquito fogger going down the road....

Last edited:
Oil is found on the electrode part of the spark plug. Its somewhere inside the cylinder that is leaking.

Also Commuta_Busa mentioned something about air escaping sound. Damn...i hear air escaping sounds when i start up my bike everytime.

It is only audible when I am starting the bike. Well, once it is running, the sound cannot be heard anymore, which i guess is normal because the air would be escaping at a constant rate already, no longer a gust of it.

OMG! will this cost me something like $500 to repair??

Oil is found on the electrode part of the spark plug. Its somewhere inside the cylinder that is leaking.

Also Commuta_Busa mentioned something about air escaping sound. Damn...i hear air escaping sounds when i start up my bike everytime.

It is only audible when I am starting the bike. Well, once it is running, the sound cannot be heard anymore, which i guess is normal because the air would be escaping at a constant rate already, no longer a gust of it.

Not Good but like Bogus said, That thing should really be smoking out the exhaust. You may want to get a qualified person to check it. You really need to know if it's an upper end problem or if it's rings or a piston. Good Luck.

Good luck man. I would think 500 dollars would be getting off cheap if you had to pay a mechanic to do the work and depending exactly where the problem is.

have a pro do the leakdown test because you need to have the piston near top dead center where there is more wear in the cylinder. Standard compression tests don't always tell the true story especially when the piston is at it's lowest point because that's where the least wear would be assuming its cyclinder wear, not piston ring damage

I would want to see this spark plug.. the engine should be smoking and not sure how you would hear "air" leaking while cranking the motor over.. you might hear a low hole but even if a valve was stuck open, not sure you would "hear air escaping"

Does the bike smoke
does it run on all 4

Sounds bad...don't mean to alarm you, but in the extreme this could mean you need an engine overhaul. Perhaps north of $1,000??/ I dunno; never done one on a bike.
Alternatively, you could buy a replacement engine from a wreck, to swap out for the oiler in yours.

How many miles do you have? Does this bike have a turbo or nitrous oxide kit in its history? The 'Busa engines are known to be very durable in normally aspirated form, but not so much so if forced induction is applied.

Is this oiling a recent tendency? Has it been driven hard, maybe to excess, on a consistent basis?

I think looking to the history of the bike could provide you with more clues as to the root cause of your problem.

CW

ok, the "air escaping sound" sounds like a whistling kettle. There is only 1 blow of it, with each crank of the engine. No "air escaping sound" is heard after the engine starts running.

I have thrown the spark plug away. Anyway, its just engine oil coated at the electrode, nothing much to tell from it.

My bike leaks engine oil now. No visible leaks from the visible parts of the engine.

:thumbsup:your bike should have a noticeable stumble in it with that plug being coated with oil...maybe this is why you checked the plugs??? anyway I would have a good mechanic look at it, by the way where are you at so others might be able to point you in a good direction for help...

Back