Transmission questions

Kassofcmb

Registered
Well it's official, I have the dreaded 2nd gear issue. I was going to have Daniel from Cloud Nine do the work but I just can't afford it like I thought (sorry bud) so I am going to just have to do it myself.

That said, can anyone tell me after I get the engine off the bike, how do I get to the transmission? I have a shop manual but after skimming over it I still don'f fully understand (under oil pan or what? Yeah I know... I'm a newb)

Wow, if your a newbie to that kind of work, you need to get ahold of someone who has done this stuff before. Good Luck!

I would talk to Daniel and see what kind of deal he will work out with you. It's not a task for the non-mechanically inclined, and if you screw it up (don't line up the oil holes in the output shaft for example) things can go very bad in a hurry......

Well Like I said I was just skimming it. But the way it reads in the engine break down is that you have to remove the head to get to transmission and that just sounds wrong to me. Who knows I may have been reading the wrong chapter (that book is a very dry read) and that is why I ask the question. Don't worry I assume all responsibility for my impending mistakes.

I am about to tackle it as well. I have a used tranny I am about to send off for cutting.

There are a few threads on the tear down, but the best one lost the pics. From what I remember from the thread is you do not have to take off the head...but the manual says you do.

Well my wife says if I wait till May we can afford Cloud Nine, does she even understand how far away MAY is We've had 3 sunny days so far!

I work on bikes and actually went to school for it. I highly discourage you on doing it yourself. There's a lot of things that the manual does'nt tell you. Let a pro or a veteran "bike" mechanic help you.

I can tell you it is possible to successfully do it on your own with the factory manual and your having never worked on a motorcycle engine before because I have done so. But if you have not been rebuilding car engines, go cart engines since the age of 14 and having a career that requires you to repair multi-million dollar industrial machinery I would not recommend trying it.

To get to the transmission on a Hayabusa you have to dismantle the complete engine. If you know what you are doing it would take 4-6 hours, provided the engine was out of the bike already.

You will not regret spending the money by having a competent mechanic do it for you.

Well Like I said I was just skimming it. But the way it reads in the engine break down is that you have to remove the head to get to transmission and that just sounds wrong to me. Who knows I may have been reading the wrong chapter (that book is a very dry read) and that is why I ask the question. Don't worry I assume all responsibility for my impending mistakes.

Once you have the motor out of the bike,, YOU DO NOT NEED TOO BREAK DOWN THE TOP END!
Flip the motor over and just split the lower end!

Oh, I don't know what problem you have with second, but while Daniel is in there put the EVO shift kit in. MUCH cheaper while he has the tools in his hand......and the bike apart.

I agree..

If you couldn't figure it out from the manual. Pay to get it done..

Sorry bro..

+1000 Get a trained tech, what you think you are saving could end up costing you big time later on down the road, an I am not talking just about mechanical problems I am talking about your life. Mechanical problems hit you in a car big deal pull over to the side an wait for the wrecker. Mechanical failures riding down the roadway on your bike can kill you. I had a friend have his tranny lock up on him riding down the road on his GPZ an even at 40 mph he stained the seat an his own sister almost ran him over cause she was in the car behind him.

I can understand the lack funds problem saving your change an getting a pro on this maybe a good idea.. Best of luck which ever way you go.:beerchug:

seems some pop out of second under hard accelleration. Typically noticed in GEN1...especially 2005-2006 models? Some say there are no problems.

This only a theory though:laugh:

That is usually what happens when you have the second gear problem on a gen I. It has happened to me a couple of times, but it seems to me that it was from me not putting it all the way into second gear.

Back