Talk to me about transmission undercutting..

greg3852

Registered
So I looked into this, and it seems they do 2nd gear mainly. Some do 2nd and 6th. Seems to cost around $200? Currently I do not have any issues of any kind with 2nd or the tranny. While I have the engine apart would I be stupid not to do it?

I'd use the manual to guide me, but it seems like I'd need to pull the clutch, oil pan, and then take off the bottom of the case. Seems simple enough..

There are few other things to remove before you can split the cases. If you are already doing this I would certainly consider sending in the transmission to be cut on a Gen1. They are known for 2nd gear failure. Gen2 seems pretty solid. From memory some of the gears are undercut and others not, mostly the lower ones not. I know I lost 2nd in my 2005 at 1800 miles. Suzuki paid to fix that and I shipped the gears out to be undercut on my dime. A year later 1st gear went out so I did the work myself, sending the gearset out to the same place.

I would recommend sending the whole trans out to be cut. I think it is typically around $450 to get it all done then you are better than new on all gears.

Back