Fixing the transmission

gsxr051

Registered
I have taken the engine out of my busa and getting ready to take the bottom end out to fix 2nd gear.
Do i just flip the engine upside down and leave it like that or is there a certain way the engine needs to be in order to do this.
Another thing, does anyone have any last minute things i need to do or watch out for? I know the only thing that i need to watch out for on putting the engine back together is to make sure the crank balancer is aligned up and the shift forks in the proper place.
Any tips or comments will be great.

welcome.gif
Try checking in maintanance/do-it yourself part of the forum, there is a good post by Loboboy that details everything

PM GMBusa. He just finished this for two bikes. (one happens to be mine). He did a very good job. Hit him up....

From the three transmissions I looked at this weekend, I'd invest in a set of billet shift shafts. One trans (400 miles) had perfect forks, perfect gears and a bent rod. The other two bent forks, bent rods, and just a tad of damage to the rods. Mine (10K over 300 passes) had perfect gears, and the forks look fine, I need to get a better look at the forks and the rods.

I just built a stand that will allow me to have the motor upside down and ill be able to work on it at the same time without worring about the motor falling over.
Ill know by saturday or sunday what the inside looks like.
Here is a picture of how the motor looks with the stand.
I still need to buy an 8" bolt for the bottome part of the engine, then i can get started.

DSC02334.JPG

I just built a stand that will allow me to have the motor upside down and ill be able to work on it at the same time without worring about the motor falling over.
I still need to buy an 8" bolt for the bottome part of the engine, then i can get started.

post-6-41351-DSC02334.JPG
I made one last spring that held the motor from the bottom so I could fix the top end. I might try and make one like yours when I go to get the tranny undercut.
thumb_up.gif

DSC03126.jpg

super.gif
PM -->
gsxr051 @ Feb. 07 2008 said:
1288527[/ATTACH] PM]

post-6-41351-dsc02334.jpg
I made one last spring that held the motor from the bottom so I could fix the top end. I might try and make one like yours when I go to get the tranny undercut.
thumb_up.gif

DSC03126.jpg
Nice job on both, great idea too

super.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I got your PM just haven't had time to respond. I made a makeshift stand to hold the engine in the upright position but when I need to remove the lower engine case I just flipped it over on the bench and let it rest on the cylinder head and the rear engine mount truss. It sets the motor in the prefect position to do all of the work. Just make sure you remove all of the bolts from the top side before you flip it over. You might get some help to lift it onto a bench, I think I dropped a nut or 2 when I did mine by myself.

Hey I got your PM just haven't had time to respond. I made a makeshift stand to hold the engine in the upright position but when I need to remove the lower engine case I just flipped it over on the bench and let it rest on the cylinder head and the rear engine mount truss. It sets the motor in the prefect position to do all of the work. Just make sure you remove all of the bolts from the top side before you flip it over. You might get some help to lift it onto a bench, I think I dropped a nut or 2 when I did mine by myself.
I was going to rest the motor on the cylinder heads but to just make sure i wont end up damaging something else I thought it would be best to make something up. It only took me about 30 minutes to make the stand so it will be worth it.

Good job on the holder
bowdown.gif
next one I do I will bust out the welder.

super.gif
PM -->
gsxr051 @ Feb. 07 2008 said:
1288795[/ATTACH] PM]
Good job on the holder
bowdown.gif
 next one I do I will bust out the welder.
It will sure make it easy to work on thats for sure.

super.gif

Ok here is an update. I got engine apart and first thing i noticed is the gears are fine IMO.
The shift forks on the other hand are toast. Here are some pictures.

DSC02341.JPG

I didnt notice it being bent. Maybe the angle of the picture?? Ill go look and see.
So from what it looks basically the shift shaft and shift fork are all toast and causing 2nd to slip?

Look at the engagement dogs on the gears. there on the side of the gear. The gear itself will look fine as it is always engaged. The side where they mate will wear out look carefully and replace anything you question,it will be worth it in the end. You have to take the shafts out of the case and take them apart to tell how much damage has been done.Do not put anything back together if you are looking at it and it is questionable,and always replace the circlips.

Back