economy isn't so bad

Commuta_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
who said the economy wasn't bad? :poke:

Can you take a drop in pay of over $1000.00 per month without it effecting your life style/spending habits/etc?

I just got the call today from my boss. Another cut! Take it or walk... I thought it was coming so I armed myself by responding saying instead of cutting my rate which has a lasting long term effect how about we discuss furloughs instead. Since their argument is that they've got to reduce their operating costs either measure produces the same results. I'll take 3 days off each month so that your costs still fall within your new reduced budget. This benefits me in two ways. Since my rate would stay the same it would give me the chance to find another job inline with my current rate. It would also free me up on the extra days off to maybe do some freelance work to recover some income. Of course the bottom line is that theis isn't what they're after. Think about it... cut everyones pay by over 10% make them perform the same duties/responsibilities all at a much lower salary. Then when things so to say pickup you can just give them small little 2.5% raises for more than a few years and still keep your operating costs low. It would be easy enough to say, "good news things are getting better so we're goign to help you out with a raise". If you decide to leave your job and apply else where what do you think is going to be one of their first questions... "how much were you making". Having your rate/salary reduced benefits them because they can easily argue that they can't give you such a big increase over what your last rate/salary was. Seems like cutting rates helps the companies but the workers get all the suffering.

So It's time for me to start networking and see what's out there. Time to slow down my work abilites and perform at the level they're going to pay me. This cut sets me back by 7 years experience. I guess I'll use my experience and knowledge I've gained over those years some where else. Sure they can hire/contract with someone else at their new low rate. The skill level just wont be there any more.

Anybody hiring :laugh:

sorry bro for bad news, bad economy has not changed, it just not as much talk about it.

Dang man. That stinks. I'm in the boat with you it's hard to plug all these holes up when more keep popping up.

Sorry to hear my friend. Good that you had to foresight to see it coming.

The company I work for has aggressively found ways to erode pay and quality of life over the last five years. It's forced me to be more entrepreneureal, and focus most of my motivation elsewhere. Today I am not dependent on, or concerned with their survival...and that's a great position to be in.

thanks all. This is the second cut they've given me. The first one came 6 months ago.

As far as what i do, I'm an analyst. I've worked in moe than a few industries. I've done project implentation, system initigrations, business support, financial support, operations support, network support, and lots of other roles. I've been a consultant for over ten years and I'll just have to hop around some more.

Let's see pay the workers less, raise the costs of goods, raise taxes, reduce health care, and I'm expected to some how still stimulate the economy? I may not be able to race next year and vacations will be out of the question. That's about all that's left to cut back on. I don't drive to work on the nj parkway or turnpike so I don't have to pay tolls. My commute time has increased and my gas/maintenance costs bring the savings down to only about 200 per year. I'm still doing it even though it's costs on my comfort of life is reduced. To bad in the long term it could cost me additional health issues. But hey, that's so long term....

I may have to cancel my required business insurance to reduce some of my own over head and increase my risks for a law suite. I may have to cancel my health insurance for myself and my spouse (still cover the kids). I'll have to find out what impact this may have on my life insurance rates to see if it's cost effective...

To bad I can't just call my mortgage company and say, "hey you've got to take a cut in the interest rate or else I'm not gonna pay". :laugh: Mybe I can call the electric company, the grocery store, gasoline company, etc and make the same statement. :rofl:

sorry bro it'll get better keep your head up and stay positive because as soon as you get negative everything will come crashing down, I manage an industrial sales company, I have seen a signifigant cut in my pay check but i tell my employess every day to keep fighting for the buisness because as soon as the econmy turns around, everything we have done and worked for, or customers will remember that and our buisness will explode. I have a "Keys to make your buisness successful" posted in about 50 locations including the bathroom stalls and through out the store and the last thing is, "STAY POSITIVE- As soon as you become Negative your buisness will show negative results, keep your head up and get that job done". just because the economy SUCKS doesn't mean your attitude has to. KEEP YOUR HEADS UP EVERYONE IT WILL GET BETTER!!!!!:beerchug::thumbsup:

Last edited:
... Think about it... cut everyones pay by over 10% make them perform the same duties/responsibilities all at a much lower salary. Then when things so to say pickup you can just give them small little 2.5% raises for more than a few years and still keep your operating costs low. It would be easy enough to say, "good news things are getting better so we're goign to help you out with a raise".

This is pretty much what's happened with gas prices. They raised 'em up on a couple of factors, but when those factors settled down the prices didn't follow in kind. Up 200%, down 150% and everybody breathes a sigh of relief for the 150% reduction when prices are still up 50% from base line.

Layoffs abound. Just survived another round myself, but the blade only missed me by inches as it took a direct co-worker.

Best of luck with finding a better situation.

May we all come out of this better, somehow, in the long run.

I'm still positive for myself. I'm more pissed than concerned. It's the folks that got cut all together that have it the roughest. I really feel for them. My situation isn't as bad as theirs but it sure isn't good.

:cheerleader: Maxton LSR is this coming weekend and that's where my focus is :cheerleader: to bad there's no way to make some money doing it. Hmmm maybe taking bets... I'll bet 200.00 that I'll go faster than the last event I went to. Anybody wanna take the bet :whistle::laugh:

Back