Goodbye Dish TV

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I have had them for 16years.... When it came time for me to watch football today I got a message that they were not going to pay the rate increase to Fox for programming and so Fox cut them off, in turn I don't have the OU football game... I never hear Dish complaining when they raise my rates for programming....

Hellooooooo Direct TV

Last winter DirecTV dropped Versus, which is the carrier of the Tour De France and the rest of the televised bicycle races. But they "settled" their differences in time to broadcast most of the spring classics, the Giro and Le Tour. I think I remember them also dropping Fox sometime a few years back too. Then bringing it back a few months later. Always something.
I've thought of going with our local cable company more than once. Slightly cheaper, no contract, no dropped channel hassles, but don't quite have the full channel line-up that the dish people do.

I just ordered Direct TV. Dish can :moon:
Plus the tool online lied to me. Told me the game was blacked out in our area.
I was going to switch anyway, this just pushed me over the edge. Worked all day and come home to football and find out they shut it off.
:tantrum:

I've had DirecTV for 6 yrs...they have their own issues as well. I've always gotten the Sunday Ticket, so they're the only option.
DirecTV because they would have simply paid Fox's price and passed it on to you, the consumer in your monthly bill.

When you send the reciever box back make SURE its not full of bugs and insects. My buddy sent his in a few months age and they claimed it was full of bugs and needed to be destroyed and he was charged the price of the box. Bugs, of all things.....

There's no good alternative...they are all bad; satellite, cable, U-verse, FiOS...they all have their drawbacks. FOX was wanting a 50% increase for Dish to continue carrying some of their sports networks; so they (FOX) cut programming to Dish. Shoot - Time Warner doesn't have NFL Network because they refuse to pay the rates that the NFL wants...it's a give an take...lesser of the evils.

Heck - Michelle's DirecTV dish broke...she called them and paid for a new dish...catch is...it has to be professionally installed. Well, there's only ONE spot on the property were the dish can go...and it has to be AT LEAST 10 feet in the air..on a pole. The installers won't provide and/or set the pole. So we're going to have to do it. And it gets better...once we do it, they won't guarantee that they will climb that high to install it...and they won't leave us the dish!

So...they all suck

Don't get me wrong they all have issues... Fox covers all the football games in my region... This isnt the only thing that has occurred with Dish just the straw and perverbial camel...

As I look into it I think its cheaper to be a new customer on Direct then to be a long term customer with Dish....

After 9 years with Dish we switched to Directv 3 years ago. Dish has offered some really good packages many times to get me to come back. Not gonna happen. They tried to screw me out of $300 when upgrading to HD. It's a principle kinda thing. I would only have PBS before going back.:rant:

they all suck, I'm currently evaluating direct tv vs local cable. 1yr promo pricing is going at the end of the month, cable company wants 50/month more :banghead: seems keeping internet/phone and just getting direct tv is the better path but who knows.... all sucks donkey, why cant netflix stream more of my shows :whistle:

As I look into it I think its cheaper to be a new customer on Direct then to be a long term customer with Dish....

Something else I've never understood. You see it with cell phone companies too.
New customer, you get it for free.. Loyal customer for many years, sorry Bubba, you got nothing coming.
I left Dish when it quit working and I called for service help. "60.00 per hour" the gal says. When I said WTF?, she tells me "you've had the stuff for several years, did you expect it to last forever? (totally hateful and arrogant attitude)"
Called back a couple of days later and told them to shut it off, story changed immediatly (same gal even).. "Sir, you've had that stuff for years, and it's undoubtably wore out by now, we'd be happy to fix it for free if you'll stay".
Noo thanks.. shut it off.:laugh:

Something else I've never understood. You see it with cell phone companies too.
New customer, you get it for free.. Loyal customer for many years, sorry Bubba, you got nothing coming.
I left Dish when it quit working and I called for service help. "60.00 per hour" the gal says. When I said WTF?, she tells me "you've had the stuff for several years, did you expect it to last forever? (totally hateful and arrogant attitude)"
Called back a couple of days later and told them to shut it off, story changed immediatly (same gal even).. "Sir, you've had that stuff for years, and it's undoubtably wore out by now, we'd be happy to fix it for free if you'll stay".
Noo thanks.. shut it off.:laugh:

Yeah I shut off my Sprint Data plan this week based on principal... They tried to charge me 5.00 more because I refused to have direct deposit... I asked the customer service person what the charge was for, he said it was to cover all the late payments and the fraud. I asked him if I had ever been late on a payment or ever tried to fradulantly hurt Sprint. The employee came back with a quick "No sir" then I said I refuse to pay the fee and as a matter of fact cancel my plan. He came back with "Well sir there is a penalty for leaving the plan early (I had already calculated it ) and I fired back yep 50.00, that means 10 months worth of those added fees.. So cancel my account, then came the begging, sir we can credit your account, we will stop the billing... At that point I told him that if he had the ability to credit the 5.00 and to keep it from coming on my account then they never should have done it in the first place. They get what they can from those who don't look at their bills or question what the charge is, give the money back to those that do.....

I cancelled it..... Dish will be the same way......

cap

I've had DirecTV for 12 years. I stay with them because they have outstanding customer support. They've handled every problem I've had to my satisfaction.

I had Direct TV and canceled 4 -5 months after. I told them I would gladly pay the penalty for breaking the contract, but I wanted all of their equipment out and gone immediately. :laugh:

Every time it rained or there was bad weather I lost the signal :moon:

I agree they all suck which is why I have no Cable, or Satellite. I didn't even get the digital antenna. :laugh:

Last edited:
So this should tell you how close we work with Google.... I started this thread at 6:34 tonight, that was roughly 4 1/2 hours ago..... I was looking for information a few minutes ago on the dish tv and sooner football problem and look what I found listed on the first search page... Not bad to have your threads show up on the top in just a few hours...

ou.jpg

ou.jpg

It is that way with all of them. They will spend more money getting new customers and crap on the existing customers. Direct TV is the same way. I had Direct from 1995 until 2009. I upgrade equipment 3-4 times. A new customer would get new equipment for signing a 1 year contract. I would see only a small discount after being a 15 year customer. I still think they are better than Dish. I've got cox cable and got rid of the A-S DVR and bought a TIVO premier unit. I'm saving over D-TV cost but D-TV was a better product.

It is that way with all of them. They will spend more money getting new customers and crap on the existing customers. Direct TV is the same way. I had Direct from 1995 until 2009. I upgrade equipment 3-4 times. A new customer would get new equipment for signing a 1 year contract. I would see only a small discount after being a 15 year customer. I still think they are better than Dish. I've got cox cable and got rid of the A-S DVR and bought a TIVO premier unit. I'm saving over D-TV cost but D-TV was a better product.

Good, your making me feel better :)

Back