Dump Pipe...

Dump Pipe... - should it stay or should it GO?

• Keep Dump Pipe

Votes: 121 93.1%
  • Install "traditional" exhaust (Micron)

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Other idea/suggestion

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Doc_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
As you guys know, my bike has a dump pipe installed instead of a "normal" exhaust. The shop put a turbo busa engine on a sand rail and now has the OEM Turbo exhaust (Micron) for sale at $300. I think I will buy it no matter what, but, if I go with the Micro, I will have a narley hole in the side of my fairing for nothing... WHAT SAY YE?

DUMP PIPE PROs
-the dump pipe looks MEAN (mucho poser points)
-more power and faster to boost
-ultra light weight
-hole is already cut

DUMP PIPE CONs
-LOUD, VERY LOUD, and I feel the police will agree
-bike backfires and pops a lot
-seems harder to tune for lower RPMs (see above)

turbo4.jpg

If the sound is to loud for you change it. Just make sure you run a pipe and can with 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 pipe. Go up in size not down, that will help. Also the dump pipe you have is up front so it will sound even lounder because it is near your ear. Most are located as yours is. i choose to extend mine a little further. You have plenty of HP no matter what you do, so if you are not comfortable with the sound change it. The diffeence is about 10-15hp and some of that you cna get back with tuning.

If the overheating incident is related to tuning with a pipe, then running without a pipe, then I change my vote to get rid of the dump, and go back to standard pipe/can. would hate to see that bike go bad just for looks.

Dump pipe should not have an effect on the heating, unless it is short, it actually should get some heat out. Mostly noice or no noice senario.

N.E. doc mentioned on the 'overheating' thread, it was tuned with a pipe/can combo, and with the dump pipe, it runs leaner at low rpms, and may cause extra engine heat... makes sense to me. rock.gif

I just got it back Saturday and they did not think the dump pipe was responcible for the heat. It seems the builder had the fan wired for MANUAL ONLY! They rewired it back to stock so it should come on with the thermostat.

However, the dump pipe DID change the mapping. They did some mods, but it will require dyno tuning to get it perfect. The shop I took it to builds a lot of turbo busa sandrails. These things are AWESOME! Anyway, they do not use the micron exhaust that comes with the kit, so I bought the entire micron exhaust from them for $300 and it has never been used. Not sure if I will ever use it, but that price seemed to too good to pass up. Check out Scott's shop, he is AWESOME! He also built VegasDude's turbo Busa.

http://headsup.dragbikecentral.com/

I just got it back Saturday and they did not think the dump pipe was responcible for the heat.  It seems the builder had the fan wired for MANUAL ONLY!  They rewired it back to stock so it should come on with the thermostat.

However, the dump pipe DID change the mapping.  They did some mods, but it will require dyno tuning to get it perfect.  The shop I took it to builds a lot of turbo busa sandrails.  These things are AWESOME!  Anyway, they do not use the micron exhaust that comes with the kit, so I bought the entire micron exhaust from them for $300 and it has never been used.  Not sure if I will ever use it, but that price seemed to too good to pass up.  Check out Scott's shop, he is AWESOME!  He also built VegasDude's turbo Busa.

Happy to hear about the switch, when you said manual shut off, I thought that may be what it was.  Good to hear that you have guys that can give you a map for the Turbo.  Just specify what you are looking for and how hard you ride.

I just got it back Saturday and they did not think the dump pipe was responcible for the heat.  It seems the builder had the fan wired for MANUAL ONLY!  They rewired it back to stock so it should come on with the thermostat.

However, the dump pipe DID change the mapping.  They did some mods, but it will require dyno tuning to get it perfect.  The shop I took it to builds a lot of turbo busa sandrails.  These things are AWESOME!  Anyway, they do not use the micron exhaust that comes with the kit, so I bought the entire micron exhaust from them for $300 and it has never been used.  Not sure if I will ever use it, but that price seemed to too good to pass up.  Check out Scott's shop, he is AWESOME!  He also built VegasDude's turbo Busa.

Happy to hear about the swithcg, when you said manual, I thought that may be what it was.  Good to hear tht yu have guys that can give you a map for the Turbo.  Just specify wht you are looking for and how you ride.
Huuuuuh? Too much NOS NE? Hehehehehehe

Happy to hear about the swithcg, when you said manual, I thought that may be what it was.  Good to hear tht yu have guys that can give you a map for the Turbo.  Just specify wht you are looking for and how you ride.
Huuuuuh?  Too much NOS NE?   Hehehehehehe
Yes going back and reading what i put down i think that only 2 fingers were working. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

N.E. doc mentioned on the 'overheating' thread, it was tuned with a pipe/can combo, and with the dump pipe, it runs leaner at low rpms, and may cause extra engine heat... makes sense to me.   :super:
It should run lean at low rpms. As a matter of fact very lean when compared to the turbo kicking in which you need to run rich up around the 13 mark. What you have to watch is when it slides up from mid range to high range and dows not come up rich qucik enough.

Exhaust system will work very nice and looks very stealthy, just make sure the pipes do not come down in diameter should be at least 2 1/2

I would say set it with your cans first. Get the stealth fun. Little harder to get right but make sure the pipe dia. is 2 1/2 to the cans. Then go to dump if you even want more hp later. If you choose on the dump pipe that is OK also. I am not a big fan of the straight out the side, I think it leave to much heat in the engine area, but a lot of guys are using them.

Glad you put the cans on for a while.  You will ahve some stealth fun... <marquee>:D</marquee>

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067221490 -->

Doc,
I am still silver/grey, this is a buddy's '03 ltd. I hope to have MY mighty 'Busa back in my hands mid Nov.

Back