Dump vs Exhaust

the only thing about being hard on the plastics is you have to cut them to install it
sad.gif

But they look so badazz and I'm sure they make the rear of the bike look so much better too

Just some of my own input on your situation (I'm a newbie too) I have a HAHN kit and it has the dump pipe that bends under the pan (not out the side where you have to cut your plastic) sounds great just like that, but I like to ride sometimes long distances with other people. Yep you guessed it I usually have a head ache and they are bitchin at me
laugh.gif

But since the dump pipe is bent that way it's set up for full exhaust, just mounted the mid pipe and bought a Micron and all done. Neighbors love it, friends don't mind riding next to me and no head ache. But just one bolt and a couple clamps and it's ready for the track.

PICT9026.JPG

(dnjinoz @ Apr. 16 2007,18:01) Just some of my own input on your situation (I'm a newbie too) I have a HAHN kit and it has the dump pipe that bends under the pan (not out the side where you have to cut your plastic) sounds great just like that, but I like to ride sometimes long distances with other people. Yep you guessed it I usually have a head ache and they are bitchin at me
laugh.gif

But since the dump pipe is bent that way it's set up for full exhaust, just mounted the mid pipe and bought a Micron and all done. Neighbors love it, friends don't mind riding next to me and no head ache. But just one bolt and a couple clamps and it's ready for the track.
That's cool. The best of both worlds!

I noticed the wrap on the dump pipe. Do most people wrap their dumps? Does it help the exhaust flow? I assume it's there to keep the lower plastics safe.

So, in summary:

Dump pipes - Advantages - More power (less loss) than full exhaust
- Looks cooler
- Cheaper than full exhaust

- Disadvantages - Much louder (especially WOT)
- Need to cut plastics (not all installs)
- Exhaust/fuel smell?
- More noticeable to police
- Might be illegal
- Might burn plastics near exit hole

Full Exhaust - Advantages - Quieter (less angry neighbors)
- No need to cut plastics
- Stealth look

- Disadvantages - Lose 20 HP
- Cost $500 - $800 more than dump pipe
- More weight

Thanks again for the info guys/gals!
beerchug.gif

The heat wrap was a good idea until I got an oil leak from where you have to tap into the oil pan, then all it did was hold oil in it and burn it off. The little lady of the house hates it when you make the whole thing smell like burning oil
zzwhip.gif

It costs 500-800 more to get full exhaust?
I bought my kit used but it came with the mid-pipe in the kit. All I needed to finish it up was the muffler.

(dadofthree @ Apr. 16 2007,17:04) Good input, I've only heard them on video, so I don't know.
Please tell me you haven't been recommending something that your only experience with is from a video on the internet?

Question for you all , on my setup, I have to have a dump pipe, out of the wastegate, and also a full system, what gives?

argue.gif

(kawiboy11 @ Apr. 16 2007,20:39) Question for you all , on my setup, I have to have a dump pipe, out of the wastegate, and also a full system, what gives?

argue.gif
When I had a full system on my RCC kit my wastegate pipe dumped into my full system.

Here is a pic (not a good one though) to show it.
DSC00318.jpg

(dnjinoz @ Apr. 16 2007,22:02) The heat wrap was a good idea until I got an oil leak from where you have to tap into the oil pan, then all it did was hold oil in it and burn it off. The little lady of the house hates it when you make the whole thing smell like burning oil
zzwhip.gif

It costs 500-800 more to get full exhaust?
I bought my kit used but it came with the mid-pipe in the kit. All I needed to finish it up was the muffler.
Burning oil can definitely take away from a ride.

As far as the full exhaust cost. This is where I got my info:

The Velocity Racing -
Stage I kit - Full exhaust with Micron canister - $550
Stage II kit - Full exhaust with Micron canister - $750

Ghetto -
Stage I kit - Full pipe with carbon fiber can - $595

RCC -
Stage I kit - Full pipe with carbon can - $475

Yeah, the $800 is on the high side (when I posted the numbers they were from memory). The $750 full exhaust was for a stage II kit (not a stage I kit as I had originally described).

(jjmetheny @ Apr. 16 2007,22:10)
(dadofthree @ Apr. 16 2007,17:04) Good input, I've only heard them on video, so I don't know.
Please tell me you haven't been recommending something that your only experience with is from a video on the internet?
Yes, I've seen the pics and heard the videos. Hope I didn't commit a sin in stating what I liked. And the only reason I'm writing this is because I clearly stated so.

(dadofthree @ Apr. 17 2007,09:44)
Yes, I've seen the pics and heard the videos. Hope I didn't commit a sin in stating what I liked. And the only reason I'm writing this is because I clearly stated so.
A sin? no, I just found it humorous that someone would post multiple times recommending something, then come back later and say they have no personal experience with what they've been recommending. A sin? no. Funny? yes.

For the question about the fully system and the dumped waste gate. I do not have a turbo busa, just a warning. But I do have a turbo mod motor mustang
wink.gif

The setup you have is a vented waste gate, it's got it's cons and good points. Good points include very little chance of boost creep (I run 28 psi I don’t know if you have this problem on a busa at 15psi and below). Faster responding off the throttle, less back pressure. Cons include it is louder, it can smell like un-burnt hydrocarbon, it gets hot if it's not pointed away from the bike it will melt stuff. I had mine melt right through a thin CNC'd aluminum bracket I was using to hold my oil feed line. It's also not street legal in most states. It's only going to be louder when the waste gate is open bleeding boost to clarify. At a light it will be the same db as a full system that re-circulates the waste gate. I prefer the dump only because it's cleaner and you are almost guaranteed no boost creep.

(NickGT @ Apr. 24 2007,05:00) For the question about the fully system and the dumped waste gate.  I do not have a turbo busa, just a warning.  But I do have a turbo mod motor mustang  
wink.gif

The setup you have is a vented waste gate, it's got it's cons and good points.  Good points include very little chance of boost creep (I run 28 psi I don’t know if you have this problem on a busa at 15psi and below).  Faster responding off the throttle, less back pressure.  Cons include it is louder, it can smell like un-burnt hydrocarbon, it gets hot if it's not pointed away from the bike it will melt stuff.  I had mine melt right through a thin CNC'd aluminum bracket I was using to hold my oil feed line.  It's also not street legal in most states.  It's only going to be louder when the waste gate is open bleeding boost to clarify.  At a light it will be the same db as a full system that re-circulates the waste gate.  I prefer the dump only because it's cleaner and you are almost guaranteed no boost creep.
interesting on the boost creep...

(jjmetheny @ Apr. 17 2007,19:09)
(dadofthree @ Apr. 17 2007,09:44)
A sin? no, I just found it humorous that someone would post multiple times recommending something, then come back later and say they have no personal experience with what they've been recommending. A sin? no. Funny? yes.
I've been contemplating a turbo since buying the bike. I have followed turbo related threads and yes watched many videos of turbos as well as other exhaust options. I like the sound of my factory exhaust and have had friends say that the bike sounds real good. With my helmet on and wind noise I don't have a clue what my bike sounds like to others. But, anyway glad I amused someone. Hopefully at the Bash I'll get to hear a few Turbos.

dump pipes and internal wastegates pretty much always have some boost creep. (or external waste gates plumbed into the internal waste gate hole)

For that matter, if the full exhaust is free flowing enough, it'll have boost creep with an internal wastegate also. (some think its nearly impossible, but you can tell that to one of my bikes if you like
biggrin.gif
)

Your best bet against boost creep is to dump the exhaust and the wastegate exhaust. Always and I mean ALWAYS use an externally gated turbo. I know it takes more room but that will elminate 99% of the creep problems people have.

go with the dump pipes. i hav an '02 with a turbo w/dump pipes and would never put a full exhaust on her.i wanna hear all the spooling and bov noise a turbo has to offer!!! screw the neighbors its your bike not theirs!!lol lol

Back