Dump vs Exhaust

(HRJR @ Apr. 11 2007,21:19)
(Cloud9 @ Apr. 11 2007,23:28) I have dump pipes and will invest in full exhaust eventually. They can hear you coming a mile away when you are on it and I am not exaggerating...

Don't get hung up on the HP, it is not going to make that much of a difference and if its that big of a deal for you, you should look into a little more boost with an intercooler to make up for it.

The dump pipes sound like a race bike going down the strip and if that is what you want, I would go for it. If you really don't want the attention, stick to pipes.
Decisions, decisions...  Well, I'd like to take the bike on some on longer trips this year (more than a 1/4 mile that is  
biggrin.gif
 ) and I'm not sure if the dump pipe will be too painful.  I suppose I could do as others have suggested and start with a dump and if it is too loud just buy the optional pipe for it.  Of course, then it would require a change to the map.

I'm trying to do this right (sic) (with finite funds).  Initially, I was thinking stage I with stock compression, 6psi, no water or intercooler, no engine changes.  Maybe, that "cheap way out" isn't going to work.

In the end I want a powerful, reliable, smooth running bike that I can take anyplace.

Hmm.. what was that expression again, "You get what you pay for."
I lowered my compression and if I could do it over, I would probably stick to stock compression because it is a little bit of a dog off boost under 4K...

If you stay conservative, you will "probably" be okay... Turbo is an expensive project especially when things go wrong... The more conservative you stay, the better off you will be with finite funds...

If you go big, make sure you get a good and I mean GOOD mechanic to set her up.

Cloud

(sutphen77 @ Apr. 12 2007,19:41) Mine dont seem to be alot louder then a loud pipe.  I dont like my boots smelling like fuel however
Smelling like fuel? Do you really mean that the dump pipe will stink up your riding boots (at least the right boot
laugh.gif
)? Running to rich? Or, is it just exhaust smell?

This is starting to remind me of the 2-stroke streetbike days. Go's like heck but you always end up smelling like premix.
crazy.gif

I did say I was a newbie with turbos.
wink.gif

(jjmetheny @ Apr. 13 2007,07:28) For a street bike I'd do the full exhaust, but if you go to the track a lot definitely go with the dumps.
Not planning on any track time. Just street riding.

(mountainmotor @ Apr. 12 2007,07:55) You can get the RCC or Hahn stage 1 kits these days with the blow off merged into the main pipe running through a Micron muffler, all hidden inside the plastic .
I'm definitely looking at keeping the naughty parts hidden.
smileyexhibit.gif

I'm not planning on any track time. I prefer the hidden look.

Guys, I really appreciate all of the feedback.

I just need to hear some dumps to help me make *that* particular decision.

Thanks again.
beerchug.gif

They are totally bareable under normal riding rpm's and low boost. It's only when you are on it under boost that they are ubnoxious. I don't think the dump is all that loud most of the time. Also remember, you have to cut your right fairing when you run a dump and the exhaust fumes will eventually burn the plastic around the dump and leave it sooty. I still would rather have the dump, cause even with the exhaust, everyone will still know you have a turbo.

(black954 @ Apr. 13 2007,23:47) They are totally bareable under normal riding rpm's and low boost. It's only when you are on it under boost that they are ubnoxious. I don't think the dump is all that loud most of the time. Also remember, you have to cut your right fairing when you run a dump and the exhaust fumes will eventually burn the plastic around the dump and leave it sooty. I still would rather have the dump, cause even with the exhaust, everyone will still know you have a turbo.
I didn't know that the plastic would be damaged by the dump pipe.

I've seen some photo's of dump pipes extending out a little more than usual. Maybe that would help prevent some of the chared plastic. I wonder if an application of some heat reflecting material on the inside of the fairing near the dump pipe would help the burned plastic problem.

Still learning something new each day. Thanks.

(black954 @ Apr. 13 2007,22:47) I still would rather have the dump, cause even with the exhaust, everyone will still know you have a turbo.
The only people that know I have a turbo were either told about it or it was shown to them in one way or another.

(jjmetheny @ Apr. 14 2007,07:10)
(black954 @ Apr. 13 2007,22:47) I still would rather have the dump, cause even with the exhaust, everyone will still know you have a turbo.
The only people that know I have a turbo were either told about it or it was shown to them in one way or another.
+1

the only way u can tell on my bike without a close inspection is the can were it says mcexpress turbos around the outlet

there will always be pros and cons about running either.... I chose a dump because I like the look and sound. We really don't have any cops who care about how loud these are. Most loud harley pipes are louder than my dump.

Just like cloud said though... when you get on it you can hear it a mile away and its wicked loud when one passes you at 160+

bah, most people don't know you have a turbo if you took it off the bike and hit them upside the head with it. Mines hanging out in the breeze for all to see, most people point to the intercooler and ask me if thats an oil cooler.

Trying to make bikes "sleepers" is admirable, but a big waste of time for 99% of people that don't know what they are looking at.

Hey HR; I'v had the turbo for about a year never ben looked at even crosseyed be a cop. now with the harley I got to watch it. go with the dump it looks cool and has more HP and if you clearance the plastic correctly it is not going to burn nothing

(Dave&Cindy @ Apr. 15 2007,17:38) Hey HR; I'v had the turbo for about a year never ben looked at even crosseyed be a cop. now with the harley I got to watch it. go with the dump it looks cool and has more HP and if you clearance the plastic correctly it is not going to burn nothing
As long as the dump isn't obnoxious at reasonable speeds/RPMs it shouldn't be too bad. Could always add the pipe later if it's too much. I would just have a little hole in the fairing where the dump exited.

(fstbusa @ Apr. 15 2007,10:21) there will always be pros and cons about running either.... I chose a dump because I like the look and sound.  We really don't have any cops who care about how loud these are.  Most loud harley pipes are louder than my dump.  

Just like cloud said though... when you get on it you can hear it a mile away and its wicked loud when one passes you at 160+
Another safety feature! Hey, if I'm passing someone at 160+ I definitely want them to hear me coming!
laugh.gif

(HRJR @ Apr. 15 2007,20:28)
(fstbusa @ Apr. 15 2007,10:21) there will always be pros and cons about running either.... I chose a dump because I like the look and sound. We really don't have any cops who care about how loud these are. Most loud harley pipes are louder than my dump.

Another safety feature! Hey, if I'm passing someone at 160+ I definitely want them to hear me coming!
laugh.gif
They won't, I scare the shid out of my riding buddies. They get the sonic boom as I pass by and disappear.
laugh.gif

Dump Pipes brother
super.gif

laugh.gif

(dadofthree @ Apr. 15 2007,20
zzwhip.gif
)
(HRJR @ Apr. 15 2007,20:28)
(fstbusa @ Apr. 15 2007,10:21) there will always be pros and cons about running either.... I chose a dump because I like the look and sound.  We really don't have any cops who care about how loud these are.  Most loud harley pipes are louder than my dump.  

Another safety feature!  Hey, if I'm passing someone at 160+ I definitely want them to hear me coming!  
laugh.gif
They won't, I scare the shid out of my riding buddies. They get the sonic boom as I pass by and disappear.  

Dump Pipes brother  
super.gif
race.gif

eek2.gif

Back