Dump vs Exhaust

HRJR

Donating Member
Registered
I am considering adding a turbo to my 06 LE. Never had a turbo bike before, never rode one, never rode next to one. I'm doing research to educate myself on the advantages and disadvantages of various turbo configurations.

My current questions:

1) How much louder is a dump pipe configuration verses a "full" exhaust configuration? I know a turbo will tend to quiet an exhaust but how does it compare to a full exhaust?

2) I like the sleeper look of a full exhaust, but I have read that running a full exhaust instead of a dump pipe will cost 15-20 HP. That seems like a lot of HP to lose for a quiet/stealthy look. Is it true that you lose that much HP when you run a full exhaust?

3) Are dump pipes illegal? Can you get pulled over running them?

That's it for now. I appreciate any insight you can offer.

1- MUCH louder

2- Yes you will lose 15-20 with a full exhaust on a turbo bike... but does it really matter when your adding 100+ hp to your bike to lose 20 if you want the "stealth" look to it... you wouldnt know 20hp was missing if it was all you were used to from the beginning. You could always change it down the road and get a dump pipe later...

3- cant answer that one but i'm sure if you pulled up to a cop that felt like enforcing a noise abatement law you could get ticketed for it... i've seen them do it in California. They have decible meters that can tell if your to loud or not.

can be illegal depending on where you are and what the noise laws are.... I've pulled with to a stoplight during the summer with my dump sticking in an officers face when his window was down and he didn't even turn and look.
super.gif

if you're coming to the bash you can hear my dump!

(fstbusa @ Apr. 11 2007,19:30) if you're coming to the bash you can hear my dump!
Unfortunately, work obligations (first and second job) won't allow any time away.

I would have loved to go to the bash (and get my ears ringing with that dump...
laugh.gif
)

Hey HR: if you with a little restraint the dump's the way to go. a full system on a turbo and you probably would not here the bike running. if your on your busa with a dump at a light next to your average Harley you would hardly here the busa I know cause I also have a Harley [better half wont ride the busa] also I like the way the bike looks in the back, nice and clean no pipes sticking out. hope this helps, good luck with your prodject. and most important BE SAFE@GO FAST

(Sloto200 @ Apr. 11 2007,18:12) 1- MUCH louder

I don't mind *some* extra noise, but I also don't want to get thrown out of my neighborhood either.  
tounge.gif
 I will need to look for some turbo'd dump pipe'd bikes in my area to see if it is too loud for my ears.  Haven't seen/heard any yet.
(Sloto200 @ Apr. 11 2007,18:12)
2- Yes you will lose 15-20 with a full exhaust on a turbo bike... but does it really matter when your adding 100+ hp to your bike to lose 20 if you want the "stealth" look to it... you wouldnt know 20hp was missing if it was all you were used to from the beginning.  You could always change it down the road and get a dump pipe later...
Well, I was only looking for a stage I kit running on pump gas.   Possibly running stock compression to start (6psi). Though, it seems that many people add the base plate and dished pistons to allow for more boost.  Most of the posts seem to show around 220-230HP with stock compression, pump gas, and no base plate.  At those HP levels, paying $600-$800 more for a full exhaust to get *less* performance seems distasteful.  For the same money I could go with a Carpenter 210 kit and probably spend the same amount of money with less potential maintenance issues.  I don't know.  If I'm going to spend some money I'd just like to get as much bang for the buck as I can.  I'm not sure the wife would go for a stage II kit.  
guns.gif

(Sloto200 @ Apr. 11 2007,18:12)
3- cant answer that one but i'm sure if you pulled up to a cop that felt like enforcing a noise abatement law you could get ticketed for it... i've seen them do it in California.  They have decible meters that can tell if your to loud or not.

I'm from CT.  Haven't heard anything either way.

Thanks for the help.

(Dave&Cindy @ Apr. 11 2007,20:18) Hey HR: if you with a little restraint the dump's the way to go. a full system on a turbo and you probably would not here the bike running. if your on your busa with a dump at a light next to your average Harley you would hardly here the busa I know cause I also have a Harley [better half wont ride the busa] also I like the way the bike looks in the back, nice and clean no pipes sticking out. hope this helps,     good luck with your prodject. and most important BE SAFE@GO FAST
I generally ride at normal (speed of traffic plus some) speeds. But, the urge does occur every ride so when I find a *safe* area to "engage" I do. Must feed the need.
race.gif

I've had loud bikes in the past. There's nothing like starting a bike with a race baffle at 5am to endear yourself to your neighbors.
crazy.gif

Thanks.

Hey!  Any of members running a turbo'd 'Busa with a dump in CT want to meet!  I'd like to hear your dump pipe.  Er, I hope that didn't sound too much like a weird personal ad...  
crazy.gif

The weather is supposed to be okay this weekend (tomorrow is bad).

Cost, weight, horsepower. Can you guess, I'm a dump pipe dude. Stealth........... whistle, whistle, pop. Oh that fooled everyone.
all_coholic.gif

(dadofthree @ Apr. 11 2007,20:37) Cost, weight, horsepower. Can you guess, I'm a dump pipe dude. Stealth........... whistle, whistle, pop. Oh that fooled everyone.  
all_coholic.gif
Well, stealth from a distance... parked.
laugh.gif

many states are clamping down on "aftermarket" exhaust. It USED to be, you could run any exhaust you wanted and as long as it was under X Db then you were fine. But since its very expensive and time consuming to use a Db sensor to catch illegal setups, states are starting to put rules on the book that if its not a stock exhaust, regardless of the noise level, you will get a ticket.

A open dump pipe would of course fall under that catagory, but so would an extremely quiet full system turbo (assuming they wanted to be jerks)

The hp loss is completely dependant on how much boost you're running, and how well/badly the full system is designed. I have built systems that were so freeflowing there was no notable difference betwen dump pipe and full system, but it requires more attention/compromises than most are willing to put up with. It also makes the full system louder than it would be otherwise, but still no where near as loud as a dump pipe.

I have dump pipes and will invest in full exhaust eventually. They can hear you coming a mile away when you are on it and I am not exaggerating...

Don't get hung up on the HP, it is not going to make that much of a difference and if its that big of a deal for you, you should look into a little more boost with an intercooler to make up for it.

The dump pipes sound like a race bike going down the strip and if that is what you want, I would go for it. If you really don't want the attention, stick to pipes.

I dont want to jack a thread, but I was curious as to if there as specific turbo kits for full exhaust? I've have an 06LE and have the full HMF dual high exit carbon exhaust system, and was also playing around with the idea of a turbo kit. I don't want to do any internal engine mods either, just plug and play on pump gas. Thanks..

(gstspeedster @ Apr. 12 2007,00:40) I dont want to jack a thread, but I was curious as to if there as specific turbo kits for full exhaust? I've have an 06LE and have the full HMF dual high exit carbon exhaust system, and was also playing around with the idea of a turbo kit. I don't want to do any internal engine mods either, just plug and play on pump gas. Thanks..
I'm just a newbie with turbos but the few kits that I have looked at so far (Ghetto and Velocity) had additional cost options to get an exhaust instead of using a dump pipe.

Unless I misunderstood your question to mean if you can use your *existing HMF setup* with a turbo. Since they have different mount points (HMF mounted to the engine and the turbo full exhaust mounted to the turbo housing) the answer would be no.

alot of kits have the option of full exhaust but very few are able to be used with an existing exhaust setup. Although some have modified theirs to work with a turbo.

(Cloud9 @ Apr. 11 2007,23:28) I have dump pipes and will invest in full exhaust eventually. They can hear you coming a mile away when you are on it and I am not exaggerating...

Don't get hung up on the HP, it is not going to make that much of a difference and if its that big of a deal for you, you should look into a little more boost with an intercooler to make up for it.

The dump pipes sound like a race bike going down the strip and if that is what you want, I would go for it. If you really don't want the attention, stick to pipes.
Decisions, decisions...  Well, I'd like to take the bike on some on longer trips this year (more than a 1/4 mile that is  
biggrin.gif
 ) and I'm not sure if the dump pipe will be too painful.  I suppose I could do as others have suggested and start with a dump and if it is too loud just buy the optional pipe for it.  Of course, then it would require a change to the map.

I'm trying to do this right (sic) (with finite funds).  Initially, I was thinking stage I with stock compression, 6psi, no water or intercooler, no engine changes.  Maybe, that "cheap way out" isn't going to work.

In the end I want a powerful, reliable, smooth running bike that I can take anyplace.

Hmm.. what was that expression again, "You get what you pay for."

You can get the RCC or Hahn stage 1 kits these days with the blow off merged into the main pipe running through a Micron muffler, all hidden inside the plastic .

Back