Does your bike run hotter on full synthetic oil?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
First ride last night since changing to full synthetic oil. I went with Castrol 10w50. It was only a dollar more than the regular stuff I get and on sale. I figured since my bike has been so good to me I'd return the favor. Was about 75 or so and at night so it wasn't even that hot but I noticed at a red light temp needle was right on the line. It's usually about a toothpicks width below it. The fans also kicked on which never happens? Just curious if anybody's bike ran a lil hotter when they changed over to full synthetic? I was using Castrol 20w50 semi synthetic.

This is what I used
505d52a0.jpg

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I usually ran the 20w50 Castrol semi synthetic. Always ran 20w50 in my bikes here. SoFla is hard on oils.
It's either hot or super hot here so I've always used a thicker grade.

9f7f24e7.jpg

masterblaster

Registered
On my air cooled bikes I have verified 30 degrees F lower using a IR thermo gun, ride route come home drop dino oil changed to full synthetic 20/50 (not blended), ride same route read 30 degrees cooler. did this at 2 in afternoon ambient temp was same for both checks. I am not sure you will get huge differences in this liquid cooled motor as the fan kicks on more often to cool it to a pretty constant temp, if my air cooled motors aint melting commuting to Coral Gables from Miramar I am not worrying about the Busa motor. You are right about using 20/50 here, I do too, the 10/40 would be good enough though.

bigjack7679

Registered
I usually ran the 20w50 Castrol semi synthetic. Always ran 20w50 in my bikes here. SoFla is hard on oils.
It's either hot or super hot here so I've always used a thicker grade.

9f7f24e7.jpg
I dont believe the oil would make it run hotter. i Honestly believe that 10w40 would do year round. the only thing i dont like about anything higher than 10w is the start up wear. If they made a good 0w40 motorcycle oil that could withstand shear i would run that. Most wear in and engine is contributed to start up when engine is cold and running the engine hard before the oil reaches optimum temperature

ResidentEvil

Registered
I run Full Syn no problems on a 08 Mobile 1 but if I sit long enough at a light my fans will kick in too and my temp stays at half when sitting still and below half when moving.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
I just switched from dino oil to full synthetic Mobil One. It runs just a hair cooler than before.

mr8ball

Registered
It seems mine runs cooler as well with the Amsoil 10w 40w. Mine stays right at the half or below. Have you changed the coolant in your yet? Yours seems to be running a little on the hot side to me

Suzuki manual states "Suzuki recommends the use of SAE 10W-40 engine oil. If SAE 10W-40 engine oil is not available, select an alternative according to the chart. Suzuki never recommends Castrol to men since it almost sounds like castrate! ( I added that last sentence) :laugh:
IMO I would rather run Suzuki 10W-40 then Castrol 20W-50 leave the heavy weight oils to the air colled Hardley guys.:thumbsup:

20W-50 14f-104f
15W-40 15W-50 10f-104f
10W-40, 10W-50 -4f - 104f
10W-30 -4f -86f

O Holy P

Registered
I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40. Mine always ran cool when it was stock. Now it's a different story, need a muzzy blade and a 2nd fan for the 1397. :laugh:

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
She's probably angry with me cuz I changed her favorite flavor :laugh:
Just don't remember it ever being on the line at night?
I'll just run this for a while and go back to what she was happy with.

She's probably angry with me cuz I changed her favorite flavor :laugh:
Just don't remember it ever being on the line at night?
I'll just run this for a while and go back to what she was happy with.
I wouldnt go and drain the oil out at this moment, but I wouldn't try and set any high mileage records with that oil in. Stick with the 10W-40.. Your most likely losing a few horses also running the maple syrup harley oil. :laugh:

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I won't drain it till its got 3k on it at least. I'm getting my monies worth out of it for sure.
I guess it's same as how some oils seem to make it shift smoother, maybe my bike doesn't prefer this flavor?
One ride is hardly proof. I was just curious if any others experienced same and it seems many have only the other way? Their bikes got cooler?

card16969

Registered
sometimes switching from regular to synthetic it likes to be weird.. when switching i let the regular oil drain over night fill with cheap synthetic let it run with a super cheap filter on it for a few mins then drink it pull the filter again and put in a good filter and fill with synthetic again. This way you flush out all the regular oil and get it out of the oil cooler

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
card16969 said:
sometimes switching from regular to synthetic it likes to be weird.. when switching i let the regular oil drain over night fill with cheap synthetic let it run with a super cheap filter on it for a few mins then drink it pull the filter again and put in a good filter and fill with synthetic again. This way you flush out all the regular oil and get it out of the oil cooler
There must be easier ways of disposing the oil than to drink it isn't there? :dunno:

:laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Trent How warm does your bike run? General Bike Related Topics 13
Busa429 Does anyone run Royal Purple syn oil in their bike General Bike Related Topics 0
Fate How The Hell Does A $8900 Bike Become Almost 11k? General Bike Related Topics 11
1 How was this bike lowered and does the chain need adjustment? General Bike Related Topics 11
Cjbowler Bike does not idle.... General Bike Related Topics 10
rubbersidedown Does anybody have first hand knowledge of this bike General Bike Related Topics 27
J why does my bike show im in 5th gear all the time ??? General Bike Related Topics 8
B Does anyone know a good shop that can dyno tune a bike So-Cal Gatherings 5
ky busa Gen2 owners does bike idle at very low rpms when engine is cold? General Bike Related Topics 10
ky busa at what rpm does the gen2 stop pulling in 6th gear (stock bike) General Bike Related Topics 42
J Does this bike generate a lot of heat or is it just me? Gen II Busa Information 42
sticky6 Crack in frame...how bad does it affect the bike? General Bike Related Topics 11
B Does anyone have a cigarette lighter on there bike? General Bike Related Topics 30
GNBRETT What does your bike weigh? General Bike Related Topics 24
R Tts rotrex street bike does 8.61/170mph Super Chargers 14
teezy How much hp on a bike does it take to gain 1mph in the quarter? 1/4 Mile 18
C bike does not turn over. Busa problems 12
Sp33D does riding with no exhaust hurt the bike Gen II Busa Information 8
Shaft Bike Cover That Does NOT Scratch! Gen II Busa Information 20
Speed King Does anybody recognize this bike? Random Thoughts 10
ham4864 why does my bike whistle(video inside)help General Bike Related Topics 66
T Does anyone have a GSXR front fender on there bike? Gen II Busa Information 21
B why does my engine shut off when i back the bike up General Bike Related Topics 9
Spitz 240 kit or bigger....How does this effect your bike? General Bike Related Topics 40
emtspitz What exactly does lowering your bike do? General Bike Related Topics 49
L bike does nothing Busa problems 10
cobravenom39 Does the busa share brakes with any other bike?? General Bike Related Topics 11
C Does your wife hate your bike?? General Bike Related Topics 65
F Does my bike look longer then stock? Appearance mods 18
D Does your bike have a name? General Bike Related Topics 54
S Why does a Fuel Injected Bike have a choke? General Bike Related Topics 14
IScream Does your bike talk to you? General Bike Related Topics 24
O STOCK (or slip-on) BUSA OWNERS - Does your bike surge at 15mph in 2nd? General Discussion 12
mike miller Does the iat pull timing or fuel Turbo 5
jellyrug Who does your DMV inspection? General Bike Related Topics 16
StreetShark Does anyone know how to disassemble these joints? Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 9
rubbersidedown Does anybody know this seat... Gen II Busa Information 11
J Does the clutch switch affect the speed/rpm's on a Gen II New Owners Forum 12
T Where does this go? General Bike Related Topics 16
rubbersidedown Who does good work these days embroidering seats? General Bike Related Topics 6
D Where Does This Bolt Go? Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 13
SeaMonkey Does a vacuum hose attach to flapper Busa problems 14
J Start button does nothing fuel pump not priming General Bike Related Topics 37
rubbersidedown Times is tuff...so a man gotta do...what a man does. Random Thoughts 34
J Where does this wire clip connect to? General Bike Related Topics 28
kml Changing preload on a linear rate spring does not make it stiffer. General Bike Related Topics 7
B Does my timing look ok Busa problems 14
groran1000 Throttlemeister does it work well? General Bike Related Topics 20
U Does riding like this on public roads insanity even with experience? General Bike Related Topics 13
Kiwi Rider Stockpiling New Tires . . . who does it? Tires 28