Does your bike run hotter on full synthetic oil?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
First ride last night since changing to full synthetic oil. I went with Castrol 10w50. It was only a dollar more than the regular stuff I get and on sale. I figured since my bike has been so good to me I'd return the favor. Was about 75 or so and at night so it wasn't even that hot but I noticed at a red light temp needle was right on the line. It's usually about a toothpicks width below it. The fans also kicked on which never happens? Just curious if anybody's bike ran a lil hotter when they changed over to full synthetic? I was using Castrol 20w50 semi synthetic.

This is what I used
505d52a0.jpg

I usually ran the 20w50 Castrol semi synthetic. Always ran 20w50 in my bikes here. SoFla is hard on oils.
It's either hot or super hot here so I've always used a thicker grade.

9f7f24e7.jpg

On my air cooled bikes I have verified 30 degrees F lower using a IR thermo gun, ride route come home drop dino oil changed to full synthetic 20/50 (not blended), ride same route read 30 degrees cooler. did this at 2 in afternoon ambient temp was same for both checks. I am not sure you will get huge differences in this liquid cooled motor as the fan kicks on more often to cool it to a pretty constant temp, if my air cooled motors aint melting commuting to Coral Gables from Miramar I am not worrying about the Busa motor. You are right about using 20/50 here, I do too, the 10/40 would be good enough though.

I usually ran the 20w50 Castrol semi synthetic. Always ran 20w50 in my bikes here. SoFla is hard on oils.
It's either hot or super hot here so I've always used a thicker grade.

9f7f24e7.jpg

I dont believe the oil would make it run hotter. i Honestly believe that 10w40 would do year round. the only thing i dont like about anything higher than 10w is the start up wear. If they made a good 0w40 motorcycle oil that could withstand shear i would run that. Most wear in and engine is contributed to start up when engine is cold and running the engine hard before the oil reaches optimum temperature

I run Full Syn no problems on a 08 Mobile 1 but if I sit long enough at a light my fans will kick in too and my temp stays at half when sitting still and below half when moving.

I just switched from dino oil to full synthetic Mobil One. It runs just a hair cooler than before.

It seems mine runs cooler as well with the Amsoil 10w 40w. Mine stays right at the half or below. Have you changed the coolant in your yet? Yours seems to be running a little on the hot side to me

Suzuki manual states "Suzuki recommends the use of SAE 10W-40 engine oil. If SAE 10W-40 engine oil is not available, select an alternative according to the chart. Suzuki never recommends Castrol to men since it almost sounds like castrate! ( I added that last sentence) :laugh:
IMO I would rather run Suzuki 10W-40 then Castrol 20W-50 leave the heavy weight oils to the air colled Hardley guys.:thumbsup:

20W-50 14f-104f
15W-40 15W-50 10f-104f
10W-40, 10W-50 -4f - 104f
10W-30 -4f -86f

I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40. Mine always ran cool when it was stock. Now it's a different story, need a muzzy blade and a 2nd fan for the 1397. :laugh:

She's probably angry with me cuz I changed her favorite flavor :laugh:
Just don't remember it ever being on the line at night?
I'll just run this for a while and go back to what she was happy with.

She's probably angry with me cuz I changed her favorite flavor :laugh:
Just don't remember it ever being on the line at night?
I'll just run this for a while and go back to what she was happy with.

I wouldnt go and drain the oil out at this moment, but I wouldn't try and set any high mileage records with that oil in. Stick with the 10W-40.. Your most likely losing a few horses also running the maple syrup harley oil. :laugh:

I won't drain it till its got 3k on it at least. I'm getting my monies worth out of it for sure.
I guess it's same as how some oils seem to make it shift smoother, maybe my bike doesn't prefer this flavor?
One ride is hardly proof. I was just curious if any others experienced same and it seems many have only the other way? Their bikes got cooler?

sometimes switching from regular to synthetic it likes to be weird.. when switching i let the regular oil drain over night fill with cheap synthetic let it run with a super cheap filter on it for a few mins then drink it pull the filter again and put in a good filter and fill with synthetic again. This way you flush out all the regular oil and get it out of the oil cooler

card16969 said:
sometimes switching from regular to synthetic it likes to be weird.. when switching i let the regular oil drain over night fill with cheap synthetic let it run with a super cheap filter on it for a few mins then drink it pull the filter again and put in a good filter and fill with synthetic again. This way you flush out all the regular oil and get it out of the oil cooler

There must be easier ways of disposing the oil than to drink it isn't there? :dunno:

:laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back