Dead battery?

texzukguy

Registered
I went out to go to work yesterday, and my 05 wouldnt start. Turn the key on and get no lights or nothing. Today I jump started it and tried taking off on it. Got a mile down the road and it died. DEAD. So after pushing it a mile back to the apartment, I jumped it again, and just was going to idle it to my garage, made it 50 ft and it died. Is this a dead battery? Will it not stay running off of the alternator/generator?

I went out to go to work yesterday, and my 05 wouldnt start. Turn the key on and get no lights or nothing. Today I jump started it and tried taking off on it. Got a mile down the road and it died. DEAD. So after pushing it a mile back to the apartment, I jumped it again, and just was going to idle it to my garage, made it 50 ft and it died. Is this a dead battery? Will it not stay running off of the alternator/generator?

I don't know about bikes but you can damage a regulator or alternator trying to make it charge a bad battery. Not a tech though, I would have put it on a charger the modern ones check to see if the battery is still good. If its bad then replace put a voltmeter to that bad boy while it's running see if the charging system is ok...

Like I said no techy here I am sure the pro's will chime in with real or better advice. good luck.

Here is the acid (pun not intended) for a battery:

Batt Voltage.jpg

agreed ...gets tireing always going over to the neighbors to borrow his that he dont know how to use and just sits in his closet collecting dust but he owes me for all the green tomatoes i give him..thing

Stock battery in an '05? Replace it. If that doesn't fix your problem, then look further. The battery is closing in on end-of-life, anyway.

its the battery, my 05 still has the stock in it,i imagine i will have to be replacing it soon though, I had a friend have this happen to him... it was the battery!

Forgot to mention that this battery was new last summer. But I leave it parked outside all the time (apartment) in Texas heat. Was told that will kill a battery.

voltmeter, diagnosing over the net is hard enough, but even in real life you would need a voltmeter to really know. get a multimeter which measures resistance and stuff too if you would like to start doing some of your own work.

otherwise pull it and take it to a walmart or your local battery store, they can load test it for you. battery tender jr's are like 30 bucks online i think.

harbor frieght sells them for 9$

voltmeter not battery the cheapy is good enough for reading voltage...wouldnt use it for anything else

+ 1 take the old battery and have it load tested at your local Wal, AutoZ, Advan, Pep ... if it's bad they might have a replacment battery in stock for you.

have the battery checked....

then check your terminals are tight and not corroded

and no your bike can not run without a battery

If the battery is in pristine shape....with the bike running at full throttle if you drop the negative terminal off the battery, the bike will stall. The electrical system is closed loop.

I have had batteries last ten years and others dead in 2 months. They last as long as they last.

I tell you what I have a brand new oem battery that I cant use because I have a 1397. I think they are like $95, I would ship it to you for $85 tyd.

Back