Fully charged to dead in 20 mins.

billyerds01

Registered
Battery charged fully. Rode for about 20 mins. pulled over to make a phone call, bike wouldn't start after. Battery was almost totally dead. Had someone come and jump me. Got 1/4 mile ..while riding bike died out again. Pushed bike to side of road and charged bike with jumper cables to running car battery for 10-12 minutes. That g???ot me the rest of the way home, about 5 miles. Seems as though the bike is running only off the charge of the battery. Can somone please tell me what it may be. ???

First thing to do is test the battery and then take it from there. If the battery is good, then test that the electric system is putting out juice.

Alternator... Bike will run fine on a low or failing battery as long as the alternator is good... If the alternator is good, check all leads (Continuity)to the battery. Should be a pretty easy fix.

Try this:

Charge%20Troubleshooting.JPG

Just because the battery is new doesn't mean it isn't bad.

It is not unheard of to have a new battery die quickly. Could be one of those batteries where it was not put together well and you lost a cell.

It is not unheard of to have a new battery die quickly. Could be one of those batteries where it was not put together well and you lost a cell.

had a case at work with an electronic power steering motor , fitted three new ones , all were duff , 4th worked :thumbsup:
you can soon start to doubt your self

That is true.
New or not here is the test if it is good:

Batt Voltage.jpg

SO true...I bought an Interstate battery a few years back and within a month it was dead, would not charge for anything....dealer replaced it of course. But the stator may not be charging if your bike is dying while running.

Back