Dead Battery. Battery tender enough to do anything?

mysql

Registered
I have one of those cheap Battery Tender Junior 12V that you can get for $20-25.

I recently forgot to turn off the bike (kickstand down, walked away without noticing the headlights were on). Battery is completely dead.

The battery tender when connected, blinks like the bike isn't plugged in.

I read online that someone was complaining about the battery tender being useless for situations where the battery isn't already charged. Is that true? And if that is true, what are my options? I guess I can jump start it with my car... would a 20 mile ride be enough for it to start up on its own afterward?

depends...sometimes killing them like that actually kills the batt completely. tenders are worthless for dead batts.

Your car battery is more than ample to jump start the bike. I would get it started let it run for a bit then ride it to a batteries plus, NAPA Auto, Checker, O'Reillys what ever your local parts store is and have them test the battery for you.

If only a year old - should be under warranty.

I have had batteries die and I called them up and they had me send them the top of the battery, then they sent me a new one.

I agree that the battery tender won't work on a dead battery.
Try to return it if you can. Letting a battery go dead is never good for them.
If you can't return it under warranty then just bite the bullet and replace it.
Painful lessens tend to stick with you longer - so you won't leave the bike on again. :laugh:

bought the battery on amazon.com, so shipping it back would be $$$

What make of battery is it?

Maybe call the Manufacturer. Amazon is the middle man.
Like I said, I only sent them the top cover of the battery - didn't have to ship them the whole heavy battery.
Regular envelope with maybe 2 stamps. From the time I mailed it - it took about a week for the new battery to arrive.

Worth a shot.

I have one and let my riding mower sit for three or four months. Battery completely dead , it cranked the next day after putting the tender on. If the battery is damaged , NO

I have one and let my riding mower sit for three or four months. Battery completely dead , it cranked the next day after putting the tender on. If the battery is damaged , NO

If the OP had a model other than the Jr. it may work.

You have a good point though dadofthree in that he has nothing to lose by trying it.

Same thing happen to me once at work. I got a jump off from a coworker. Took the 20 min ride home.

Once I put it on the tender, it did the same as yours. So I left it on charge for 12-16 hours and she was good to go

Your battery is very likely to be OK. Get the cheapest 12V charger, like the one from Harbor Freight. Not the Maintainer, but the charger. Connect, keep it overnight, and the battery is likely to be back to normal.

Follow this link. The picture is at the bottom of the page:

motorcycledynamics.info/batteries

I have seen the tender take two to three days to charge a completely dead battery. It has even worked on cindys camaro with a stone dead battery. As long as the battery is not faulty it will charge it. It just may take more time then expected.

I have a JR and have never had any luck with it if I start with a lower than full charge. I now use the Optimate3 and it is great. The JR will keep a fully charged battery up but I have found it is useless to top up anything.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up and it appears that despite the claims of being a charger, it doesn't appear that the optimate3 will charge a dead battery:

Amazon.com: Jeff H's review of OptiMate 3+ battery saving charger-maintainer

I've kept my battery on the battery tender and it went from flashing red (no battery connected) to solid red (charging). The bike dash lights up for a split second now when I turn the key, but it immediately turns off. Given that it's been linked for 3 days, I am starting to think that it likely won't solve the issue for me. When I get some time, I'll try jump starting it with my car, and then riding for 30 minutes... see what happens then.

A few things to consider.

You shouldn't have to start your car to jump your motorcycle, if you do the battery is DOA for sure, just replace it if that was the case.

If it does start, and you ride it, it may stall at an idle as I'm not sure if the generator can supply enough (with a dead battery) to keep it running.
I would ride close to home and only shut it off in your driveway if you have a choice. If it does restart in your driveway then put the charger on it.

Once a battery dies it will never be the same as a good battery that never discharged all the way.

You can do what you want - if you want to eliminate the hassle just go get another battery and
count it as a lesson learned. Then enjoy a battery free issue riding season. It's your choice. Been there done that so
just passing on a lesson learned to save you the hassle I have been through.

I bought a AGM battery with a 2 year warranty. Search for them. I bought from an online dealer that handled them.
They took care of the warranty work and it was pretty painless.

Here's my battery:

Amazon.com: 12 Volt 10.5 Ah MotoBatt MBTX9U Sealed Maintenance Free AGM Battery: Automotive

Since I discharged it myself, I wouldn't think warranty would cover this condition.

Good on you for being an honest man. Call them and see what they say.

Looks like the one I have. BUT mine is a MBTX9U

You don't need to tell them anything other than it won't hold a charge.

MBTX9U MotoBatt QuadFlex Upgrade for YTX9-BS, YTZ12S, YT12A-BS, YTZ14S

Above is the one I got. States a 2 year replacement warranty.

What some people don't realize is that consumers pay for everything. You defraud a company and they add the cost of doing business to every customer that buys their product.

I called up motobatt and told them I ran down the battery. Asked if they would cover it still or not. They said they would. So I'm getting a new battery + $15 to cover shipping.

I guess I know which battery to recommend if anyone asks.

Back