Damn gravel...

Sorry to hear you dropped the bike. I have come close, but not yet. I did drop my Wife's Bandit once, sitting in the parking lot, but then she dropped it turning a very tight corner and it stalled, all that was left was gravity to do it's thing.
It is all fixable.

If you do not want to lower the bike you might think about taking some padding out of the seat to drop you down a few inches, I know of a couple of people who have done this mod and say no difference in comfort. I have not tried it, I too am 5'7" and would like to be a bit lower.

My other ride is a 814lb Honda Valkyrie, so the Busa feel pretty light.

Anyway glad you are ok. If you have to drop the bike at least your speed was perfect.  

Had some friends go down yesterday at 30 mph, and they did not fair near as well, but they are ok.
Have a better day and a much better weekend.
:D  :D

Michelle,
Sorry to hear about your finger and Ceaser.  :sad:  I know you've read about my incedent today, so just remember it could be a lot worse!  Just shrug it off and go enjoy your weekend.  Maybe if your riding then your finger won't hurt so bad.

Sorry to hear about that, at least you were stopped when you slipped on gravel unlike me who was doing 40 when the rear spun and high sided us. :) So you have that to be thankful for.

I'm am thankful...it could have been worse, and one never knows when they'll be posting pics of a wrecked bike...I am so sorry for you Ben!

You guys know how it is to not have that perfect, new toy anymore? That's how I feel, but it's just paint...nothing mechanical affected and nothing hurt too bad for me...

I am lucky, and I hope the most that happens to us all is a quick drop in the driveway!

I wanted to do some research on lowering the Busa, ask LoBusa about what she did, but my husband has already ordered a lowering kit from a motorcycle shop...I don't know what it is or what is done to the bike, but I have questions when I take my Busa there for the modification...I'm worried about the handling being affected, and I don't know a thing about what's done to lower it, so hopefully the $200 he just spent on something won't be a mistake...I'd kind of hoped he'd let me research things first...oh well...

depending on how much you lower it you won't notice too much of a difference in handling. Atleast not until you get really good in the twisties but by then you will already be used to your busa! Really sorry to hear about this, I know what it means to you. believe it or not you will get over it and your pinky will be fine as well.:p

Va, I put the lowering bars on my busa the first week. It is in the middle holes so about 1" lower in rear. I left the front alone. Puts my feet flat and able to manuver backwards well. I have noticed no adverse affect on the handling at all. But I must admit I don't intend to be dragging my knee around corners.

personally myself Va , I would consider a new surface for that driveway . Mine was gravel . Its so damb big(the driveway) hee hee hee , that paving or 'crete was not realistic, so I dropped down this real fine gravel an' then took a Jumpin'Jack to 'er .  A jumpin jack is something you can rent that will pack things down, an' make them almost as hard as concrete.
The whole deal cost less than a grand and was well worth it .
   AT LEAST consider doin' something with yer turn around area .
           Juz my 2 % of a dollar .   I know , I know...

great fuggin' Monday Mornin' Quarterback eh.

Hav a good 1.....RSD.

Hey RSD...I wasn't ignoring you...been super busy and working way too much! I usually have Saturdays off, but mine's been spent dialing in to work and "baby-sitting" servers all day!

I hadn't thought about using a Jumpin Jack...good idea, but problem is the entire road leading to my driveway is gravel too! Won't do me a whole lot of good to only fix one...I keep holding our hope that one day we'll all chip in on this road and pave it! Yeah...right...

Thanks for the info, but I already have an appt to lower the bike; parts are on order...now I need to figure out how to touch up the scratches and replace the Kanji...how much will a decal like that set me back? I'm looking now on the web, but not having a lot of luck finding them yet...

;)

Michelle,

So sorry to hear about the "incident". It happens to the best of us.... That's part of the reason I put frame sliders on. Gravel is a beeeeaaaaacccchhh.... If you can't change your driveway, as suggested just always park where you have room to move forward and don't have to rely on backing up with your feet.

I lowered my bike myself. (alot cheaper) Bought a JCS triple tree for the front, and lower links for the rear. It was easy to change. I went down about an 3/4 inch in the front, and to the middle hole on the link in the back. I feel much more in control with the bike lowered when just moving it around with my feet. The handling is still lovely... I ride hard in the twisties and only have scraped my pegs.. Lowering hasn't slowed me down at all. (ask the Laguna crew :devil: ) So you shouldn't have any problems with it lowered.

As for the cost of the lowering kit and what they shop is going to charge you, if Hubby can't do it, than that's the best way to go. Me and my mechanic did mine within an hour and it wasn't that hard.

Hope it all works out. The color pens from color-rite.com work great... should cover up any small scratches. You can also order new Kanji symbols if you wish to replace the scratched one.

It's gonna be awiight girlfriend... Hope the pinky feels better so you can get back out there and enjoy the scooter.... If you have any questions about lowering or anything, please feel free to shoot me a PM or an e-mail.....

LoBusa

lorie@citycom.com

Thanks Lo...

And what are frame sliders? Something I might need to investigate further...

I'm going to go ahead and have some local guys lower it for me...hubby already ordered the kit and paid for the labor. I went by the shop today to see how long it will take, set up an appt, etc. It was so stupid to do what I did, and I almost want to kick myself every time I walk over and look at the side that ate gravel...it's not bad at all; nothing that can't be fixed or replaced...just could have been avoided so easily if I'd heeded my own advice and parked where I can pull straight out! Live and learn...

I'm having a hell of a time finding the Kanji decal on the web...is this something I need to go to a Suzi dealership for? I'm usually an internet guru and can find anything, but my dial-up here in the country is slooooooow tonight, and I'm running out of patience!

Thanks for the info Lorie...I'm hoping the bike won't be lowered too much because I worry about the handling. This bike shop has a great rep locally, even though all they sell are Ducs and Aprilias! Guess now's the best time to find some guys that can help me out, huh?

I've been so busy this week, I never got to compliment you on your beautiful car! I'm jealous...here, I've been sporting around in a GT convertible Mustang, and you've got a Boxster (if I'm correct?)...damn girl...I need your job and to move to Cali! :D

Hey Michelle,

Frame sliders go on the side of the bike and protect the sides of the bike in a tip over, and sometimes help protect the engine and vitals if you lowside or go down. Lots of people don't like to install them cuz you have to cut the plastic. I would post a pic for ya, but I don't have them on my laptop. Monday if you like, I will post a picture of what they look like. I have chrome ones and with the help of members from the board, I installed them myself.

Like I said before, unless you are doing some extreme knee-dragging, you won't be able to tell any difference in handling with the bike lowered. You will feel more comfortable with it when moving it around and sitting still..

Thanks for the compliment on the car, it's actually a Carrera 911 cabriolet. I traded in my Boxster for it. (same color) I work hard, and play harder!!!

:devil: :devil: Lo

Michelle, here is a picture of Lori's Dexter with sliders.....

...Guess I'm destined to drop every bike I own in the gravel at least once...sort of a right of passage?! ...
Yup. Happens to everyone. I haven't dumped the 'Busa yet (oh crap, guess saying that just ruined my day tomorrow -- I have an ERC scheduled), but I -- get this -- dropped my 680lb BMW K1200RS against my (brick) house one night, trying to back it uphill in the dark.

What in heck's name was I thinkin', do you ask?

I dunno, but I had a new-found respect for the bike from that point forward because I had already gotten past the "naw...it's not gonna happen to me..." part. Also, it's kind of a relief: A bike is something we grow to love a lot, and it's agonizing waiting for the first thing that makes it less than pristine.

Once it's happened, it's suprising that one can move on and feel a little better, but it's true. You did the best you could, but always remember just how heavy that thing felt and get out of the way next time (if) something like that happens so you don't really hurt your shoulders, back, hips, etc.

Even the lightest "real" bikes will fall right over after a few too many degrees of tilt and there's nothing you can safely do about it. OTOH, now you'll take those parking chores more seriously because you've seen what can happen, and you'll be more mindful of leaving it in gear when on the sidestand, etc.

The oil's no big thing, that and any fuel that sloshed in the wrong place will settle or burn off by itself. One thing you should be mindful of, however, is air in your brake and clutch lines. Make sure you try everything at parking lot speeds at least a few times before you grab and hanful on the highway and find there's no grip.

...And what are frame sliders?  Something I might need to investigate further...
Frame sliders help, but on gravel they very well may sink in and make no difference. Also (in theory) if you go down at speed the frame sliders can transfer force that the bodywork would normally disperse to the frame -- i.e., they "catch."

This might cause serious frame damage, but it's not a certainty. Using softer, resin-like sliders instead of billet or other hard sliders might help in that department.

That having been said, I have a set of anodized blue, billet aluminum frame sliders on my 'Busa :D .

Michelle, here is a picture of Lori's Dexter with sliders.....
Thanks for the pic flrider! I had to look close to see what they were...they look nice...but then again, the whole damn bike looks great...I'm chroming everything! :D

I'd never heard of sliders...not that I expect to go down (ha!), but it sure would save my paint if I tip Caesar over again...

...so many parts to buy, so little time (and money...kids might want to go to college one day!)

my busa has had both sides down for one reason or another.

I suggest getting a piece of plywood or something to park it on. way better than gravel!

I thought it was, too, cache. Beats the hell outta gravel and prolly even rough finish concrete when it comes to kissin' it with the fairings. I even thought about putting down a plywood floor for my busa nest in my garage. Thanks fer the tip. :cool:

Back