Clutch clunk!

Yes...just watched it. You do realize that one of your spring studs is missing? The spring studs are attached to the back torque limiter. The play in there is what allows the bike, during down shifting, to bleed off rpms rather than lock up your tire. The two pieces act like a ramp during down shifting...basically allowing the clutch to slip a little. The play you have in the back torque limiter is normal.

Have you upgraded your starting sytem to post 2002? I know I keep going back to that, but I have heard that 99-02 starting systems have 'issues', and they were fixed for later models.

The back torque limiter was responsible for the 'clunk' I would get any time I shifted into 1st gear...or just sat at a light with the clutch lever in. It was like there was a ton of slack in the drivetrain. It ended as soon as I put the billet clutch mod in.

Re: Clutch clunk!

Yes...just watched it. You do realize that one of your spring studs is missing? The spring studs are attached to the back torque limiter. The play in there is what allows the bike, during down shifting, to bleed off rpms rather than lock up your tire. The two pieces act like a ramp during down shifting...basically allowing the clutch to slip a little. The play you have in the back torque limiter is normal.

Have you upgraded your starting sytem to post 2002? I know I keep going back to that, but I have heard that 99-02 starting systems have 'issues', and they were fixed for later models.

The back torque limiter was responsible for the 'clunk' I would get any time I shifted into 1st gear...or just sat at a light with the clutch lever in. It was like there was a ton of slack in the drivetrain. It ended as soon as I put the billet clutch mod in.

Yes yes, it came out with the springplate bolt so i have it here. I´m more than willing to live without the back torque limiting if i just get rid of that awful sound,it´s taking over my life :p

What i have done to the starting system is,i put in all the reinforcements and the case saver, plus extreme engines idler gear limiter plus their billet cover, works like the post -02 suzuki parts but no need to change the starter so that problem is supposed to be solved.

That sounds wonderful, i always start with the clutch lever in and clunk it goes, i will certainly try it cause i can´t see anything else i can do at the moment, thank so very much for your help! I´ll report back if i find the cure! :thumbsup:

This should be responsible for the feeling of slack and the knock too maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_0562.MOV
    11.3 MB · Views: 177
Given everything else you've tried, done and explained...I bet you'll find things much more pleasant with a new limiter. I sure hope that solves your issue bro! :beerchug:

That shaft leads to the transmission....something is not right there. lemme ask a buddy of mine who knows a bit more than I do about the clutch/trans coupling

That shaft leads to the transmission....something is not right there. lemme ask a buddy of mine who knows a bit more than I do about the clutch/trans coupling

My brain shut off a few hours ago so i can´t figure out if this looks like a disaster or not ??? All help VERY appreciated, i´m going nuts.

Disregard. I watched the video again, several times. No lateral play in the main shaft...you are fine. The twisting threw me off....sorry if I scared the crap out of you. The back torque limiter is both of those pieces. The one with the spring studs on it and the piece just inside of it...the black one with the tabs. yes, replace those two pieces with a one piece billet and it looks to me like you will be just fine! Should solve your problems!!! :thumbsup:

Disregard. I watched the video again, several times. No lateral play in the main shaft...you are fine. The twisting threw me off....sorry if I scared the crap out of you. The back torque limiter is both of those pieces. The one with the spring studs on it and the piece just inside of it...the black one with the tabs. yes, replace those two pieces with a one piece billet and it looks to me like you will be just fine! Should solve your problems!!! :thumbsup:

The actual shaft is rotating, the inner piece of the limiter is on the shaft and you can see on the nut that it´s rotating but i have absolutely no clue to what is right or wrong anymore :p

I´ve come to the point where i no longer care what is wrong as long as i find it :laugh:

Yep...I think the limiter may be what you're problem is. I don't remember that shaft being so easy to turn.

check the torque on that nut, and replace the back torque limiter.

Yep...I think the limiter may be what you're problem is. I don't remember that shaft being so easy to turn.

check the torque on that nut, and replace the back torque limiter.

I will as soon as i have some kinda tool to remove it, i saw the homemade one in a thread here somewhere so i´ll start with it first thing tomorrow, thanks for all your help it´s been very useful and i don´t feel totally out in the dark now :laugh::beerchug:

Interesting. :whistle:

Never heared of this before, a clunk when releasing the clutch while first gear is engaged?

All the bikes in my stable clunk when I engage first gear from neutral, don't think I have ever ridden a bike that does not do that. The OP is saying though he has a clunk while releasing the clutch under acceleration?

Interesting. :whistle:

Never heared of this before, a clunk when releasing the clutch while first gear is engaged?

All the bikes in my stable clunk when I engage first gear from neutral, don't think I have ever ridden a bike that does not do that. The OP is saying though he has a clunk while releasing the clutch under acceleration?

Yes, it feels alot like a loose chain....it's classic back torque limiter 'lash'. Normal stuff and the only way to eliminate it is going to a one piece limiter.

Yes, it feels alot like a loose chain....it's classic back torque limiter 'lash'. Normal stuff and the only way to eliminate it is going to a one piece limiter.

I wouldn't worry too much about that i'll be happy when i only have that problem, just by looking at the limiter with the pressure plate off makes one wonder why it doesn't makes more noise than it does. :p

Sent from Iphone 4 via Tapatalk.

Is it normal that the inner piece of the torque limiter gets worn on the shaft? I can turn mine a few mm`s before the shaft starts to turn.

All bikes i´ve had had the first gear clunk too, either constructed that way or a bad cush drive rubber.

Is it normal that the inner piece of the torque limiter gets worn on the shaft? I can turn mine a few mm`s before the shaft starts to turn.

All bikes i´ve had had the first gear clunk too, either constructed that way or a bad cush drive rubber.

'Normal'? I would say no...not normal. There are so many moving pieces in the clutch area it would be extremely difficult to trace what caused that. My first move would be to tighten EVERYTHING related to the clutch to specs and see how things move about and sound afterward.

'Normal'? I would say no...not normal. There are so many moving pieces in the clutch area it would be extremely difficult to trace what caused that. My first move would be to tighten EVERYTHING related to the clutch to specs and see how things move about and sound afterward.

That´s the best thing to do of course but i think i´ll go for a one piece to eliminate yet another suspect in worst case or to cure it in best case.

Might be that it´s standard and just needs to be tightened up also, might be that the actual knock when starting up goes away and i just get the standard chattering in idle and all that, i have no idea so i think it´s a good idea to pick it apart and see if it´s worn in any case. (i will as soon as have the time and tools)

Another little thing that makes me at least suspect the clutch might be the cause is that the guy i bought it from goes by the nick "wheelieman", no idea how much abuse a busa clutch can take but anyway.

My 01 did it and my 08 does the same thing. It feels like a sloppy chain and more noticable when shifting at lower RPMs. Without a doubt my biggest complaint about the bike.

Back