Clutch clunk!

High-Gain Busa

Registered
I have just over 100 miles on my new Busa and hava been babying it so. Today I let the clutch out hard to get a little scratch and it makes a very pronounced engagement noise. With the stock pipes on yet keeping it pretty quiet this is very noticable.

Considering all the horsepower this has to hook up it may be normal but I have never heard such a harch engagement.

Is this normal?

You mean like a clunk when letting out the clutch right when it is close to engagement? If so I have that same feeling in the bike. As you let out on the clutch it has a jutter or a clunk sound and feel. I was told that the the gen 1 busa's have that same feeling. I did not remember that in the 02 busa I rode for 2 weeks though.

Warbird

When the clutch is dumped... I even tightened everything up first with a slight release then a complete dump and at that point it is still there and a very solid clunk / engagement.

It just doesn't sound good...

I have the same problem. I also feel like the trans has good days and bad with no difference in my input. sometimes with a vague feel in gear engagement.
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

A snipit from this artical on the new 08 Busa

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufac....54.html

" The clutch also has the Suzuki Clutch Assist System that increases the amount of force on the clutch plates without using stiffer clutch springs. The clutch also features a new friction material for better feedback at the engagement point.

Better feedback my ass.... It sounds like your smacking the engine case with a 32oz. ball peen hammer when it engages.

Yeah same here, my chubby chick sometimes gets a bit noisy when engagin', most of the time when I'm shifting from N to first.
That wacks big time!

deadhorse.gif

Thanks guys...

I was getting ready to drive over to the Suzuki shop where I purchased it and ask the service MGR. Pretty decent guy that still drags a Busa. Can you explain what the purpose of the two piece is to accomplish? I'm not going to race it but I'll be damn if I'm going to have this much HP between my legs and not enjoy it once in a while. It just sounds like crap.

Thanks again.

All suzuki sport bikes clunk.

So to be sure your bike is normal, meet up with some fellow Busa riders and do a comparison. Then you'll know for sure
winkold.gif

High-gain Busa,

That is the part causing the noise. I would install the Brock's piece but if you never plan to race it, I wouldn't even worry about it. Get some after market pipes and you won't even notice the sound...

Hell-o! Since there is a clutch thread i´ll try here. I have that kinda clutch sound too if i take off in a certain way but that doesn´t bother me too much. But i also have a clunk when starting it, first i thought i had the kickback problem but i´m starting to wonder.

When it´s cold the clutch may clunk a bit when idling too and if i take off before it´s warm enough it makes some sound when shifting and letting go of the clutch too but it goes away when it´s warm, i thought i´d just try a different brand of oil for that to start with.

Can someone describe exactly how the kickbacks occur, and the cause of the problem and the fix if there is one would be nice too :p Mine clunks but the starter doesn´t stop it just starts with that sound i´m getting very nervous about. Tried to disable the tre but no difference. It has yoshi trioval full system and a power commander but it isn´t mapped in a bench, checked the tps in pc and it´s off a bit but i have to check the bike´s tps first, no fun to ride when you almost **** yourself everytime you push the starter :banghead:

But i guess they don´t with the clutch pulled when starting? It has to be kickbacks then but i´ve never experienced them before so i can´t tell for sure, it just did it again, hesitating "clunk or whatever the noise is" then start, almost stopping but only close , getting a bit sick of this bike now, some beer should fix it :beerchug:

Re: Clutch clunk!

Hell-o! Since there is a clutch thread i´ll try here. I have that kinda clutch sound too if i take off in a certain way but that doesn´t bother me too much. But i also have a clunk when starting it, first i thought i had the kickback problem but i´m starting to wonder.

When it´s cold the clutch may clunk a bit when idling too and if i take off before it´s warm enough it makes some sound when shifting and letting go of the clutch too but it goes away when it´s warm, i thought i´d just try a different brand of oil for that to start with.

Can someone describe exactly how the kickbacks occur, and the cause of the problem and the fix if there is one would be nice too :p Mine clunks but the starter doesn´t stop it just starts with that sound i´m getting very nervous about. Tried to disable the tre but no difference. It has yoshi trioval full system and a power commander but it isn´t mapped in a bench, checked the tps in pc and it´s off a bit but i have to check the bike´s tps first, no fun to ride when you almost **** yourself everytime you push the starter :banghead:

Maybe the bolts are backing out and starting to rub the inside of the cover. Early Gen II's had a recall to correct it.

Re: Clutch clunk!

Can someone describe exactly how the kickbacks occur, and the cause of the problem and the fix if there is one would be nice too

Just engage the gear firmly. - It's not a Honda gearbox, so don't expect silky-smoothness. Don't try to snap the shift lever off, but don't be afraid to show it who's boss.

Back