Clutch clunk!

Re: Clutch clunk!

My 01 did it and my 08 does the same thing. It feels like a sloppy chain and more noticable when shifting at lower RPMs. Without a doubt my biggest complaint about the bike.

There's not much to complain about with the busa, but I am with you; that's my only real complaint. I wouldn't tell any of my riding friends about it because I was embarassed. I thought my bike was broken...I must have adjusted my chain 100 times in the first month that I owned it. Really freaked me out! So I did some research about the busa clutch and found it. Man was I relieved to find that my bike wasn't all screwed up. The day I installed the billet mod that 'lash' went away! :cheerleader:

There's not much to complain about with the busa, but I am with you; that's my only real complaint. I wouldn't tell any of my riding friends about it because I was embarassed. I thought my bike was broken...I must have adjusted my chain 100 times in the first month that I owned it. Really freaked me out! So I did some research about the busa clutch and found it. Man was I relieved to find that my bike wasn't all screwed up. The day I installed the billet mod that 'lash' went away! :cheerleader:

Did you do the mod yourself or pay someone ? I'm trying to gauge the cost vs. level of difficulty.

Did you do the mod yourself or pay someone ? I'm trying to gauge the cost vs. level of difficulty.

Did it myself. It's not that difficult. 1 - 5 I would rate the mod instalation at a 1.5 - 2.

A couple of things:

1) You can reuse your clutch cover gasket if it comes off in one piece; just make sure you torque those cover bolts back to specs....don't guess, you'll crush the gasket and it WILL leak. Don't ask how I know this :whistle:

2) While you have the clutch cover off you should measure your stack height. Buy a pair of electronic measuring calipers (like 12 - 20 bucks), they are worth having around. Pull all of your clutch fibers and steels. Leave them in order, and together. Measure the total thickness of your fibers and steels while they are stacked together (stack height). For the Gen II your stack height should be 2.00.

3) When you put everything back together, you have to push the center shaft in just before you put the pressure plate on. Otherwise it won't seat properly. Keep pressing in with the pressure plate until you can get two opposing springs bolted down.

It's not hard. If you don't have a service manual for your biike go to bikebandit.com you will find an exploded view of the clutch...which is handy to have while you're working on it. Remember...torque everything to specs. The clutch is no place to guess how much to tighten a bolt!

Magic. Took the clutch apart, was pissed for a couple of days, decided not to touch the center nut and just leave the bike standing. Day 3; loctite'd the pressureplate bolts according to manual, topped up with oil, it was a bit low, battery (shorai) charged all night, adjusted throttle cables and started her up and not a problem since.

The billet idler gear limiter took away all the paranoia and was well worth the money, next will be a one piece brocks clutch mod but for now i´m happy i only have the chattering on idle when cold and 1st gear clunks :laugh:

Thanks for that one Quantumracer, i´ve adjusted the chain 4 or 5 times and i can see there´s nothing wrong with the tension but still that sloppines, i was about to replace the cushdrive in the rearwheel but i´ll try the clutchmod first :beerchug:

Magic. Took the clutch apart, was pissed for a couple of days, decided not to touch the center nut and just leave the bike standing. Day 3; loctite'd the pressureplate bolts according to manual, topped up with oil, it was a bit low, battery (shorai) charged all night, adjusted throttle cables and started her up and not a problem since.

The billet idler gear limiter took away all the paranoia and was well worth the money, next will be a one piece brocks clutch mod but for now i´m happy i only have the chattering on idle when cold and 1st gear clunks :laugh:

Thanks for that one Quantumracer, i´ve adjusted the chain 4 or 5 times and i can see there´s nothing wrong with the tension but still that sloppines, i was about to replace the cushdrive in the rearwheel but i´ll try the clutchmod first :beerchug:

My pleasure brotha! Hope you enjoy riding your bike again! :beerchug:

I did til i made the unthinkable, i forgot to attach the cable for the rearseat lock after putting the dealermode switch in :-D f**k.

Sent from Iphone 4 via Tapatalk.

:snap:

Been there for sure.:banghead:

You gotta pull the under tail off. Scared the crap outta me when I did it. Took more pressure than I thought it would, but it eventually came off. That will gain you access to the cable.

:snap:

Been there for sure.:banghead:

You gotta pull the under tail off. Scared the crap outta me when I did it. Took more pressure than I thought it would, but it eventually came off. That will gain you access to the cable.

I took all bolts and clips out of the rear fairing including the middle piece that "connects" the two sides, pulled it back just a bit and managed to get my hand in from the right side (if you stand behind the bike, looking at the bike of course) between undertail and fairing and opened it, feels pretty silly once you realize what you just did :laugh:

The reflector in the rear light cracked (from old age i´d guess) when i was changing a bulb, decided to superglue it til i get a new one from ebay and managed to superglue a piece of it to my pants, a pretty amusing day considering my last 2 months that weren´t much fun at all. :lol:

Good God Man...you're havin' a helluva time with the bike. Time to have a beer and just chill for the day!:whistle:

Well i had my -91 fzr 1000 for 10 years and didn't have one single serious problem with it, i guess it was time for some kinda crap sooner or later...

Sent from Iphone 4 via Tapatalk.

Back