Clutch clunk!

Re: Clutch clunk!

High-gain Busa,

That is the part causing the noise. I would install the Brock's piece but if you never plan to race it, I wouldn't even worry about it. Get some after market pipes and you won't even notice the sound...

Couldn't say it any better myself. It's designed to help the rider. The design is a little different in the 600 and 750's, but it's the same idea.

The brock's piece is awesome, but it's pricey. I went the welded stocker route

Looking at the clutch drawing, what does part number 12 do with those 6 springs? I thought that also caused a big jerk/clunk too. Anyone up on part number 12?

Part number 12 is the main clutch basket....not the clunk problem with hard launches. The clunk you hear during a hard launch is part number 3....the back torque limiter. Some folks confuse these two pieces as the 'slipper' part of the hayabusa clutch. The busa doesn't have a 'slipper' clutch. The back torque limiter helps bleed off rpms when you down shift, or engine brake.

PROBLEM: If you launch hard a lot with a stock back torque limiter you can do damage to your clutch.
SOLUTION: There are four solutions to this problem.
1) Have your back torque limiter welded together. Make 100% sure you send it to someone who knows what the heck they're doing or you will ruin your clutch quickly. There are companies that sell pre welded units. They require you send in your core, so there is some down time.
2) Purchase a billet steel back torque limiter. They are much less expensive than the aluminum billet pieces.
3) Purchase an aluminum billet back torque limiter. I have one, it's about $200. I friggin LOVE IT!
4) Stop launching hard:whistle:

I have clunk when starting and in the moment the engine stops and i'm running out of options, what i have left is the clutch otherwise i'm done for this season.

Sent from Iphone 4 via Tapatalk.

Part number 12 is the main clutch basket....not the clunk problem with hard launches. The clunk you hear during a hard launch is part number 3....the back torque limiter. Some folks confuse these two pieces as the 'slipper' part of the hayabusa clutch. The busa doesn't have a 'slipper' clutch. The back torque limiter helps bleed off rpms when you down shift, or engine brake.

PROBLEM: If you launch hard a lot with a stock back torque limiter you can do damage to your clutch.
SOLUTION: There are four solutions to this problem.
1) Have your back torque limiter welded together. Make 100% sure you send it to someone who knows what the heck they're doing or you will ruin your clutch quickly. There are companies that sell pre welded units. They require you send in your core, so there is some down time.
2) Purchase a billet steel back torque limiter. They are much less expensive than the aluminum billet pieces.
3) Purchase an aluminum billet back torque limiter. I have one, it's about $200. I friggin LOVE IT!
4) Stop launching hard:whistle:

I´ll go for option 3, that´s probably what i´d have to pay for the welding option in sweden including national shipping anyway plus it would take weeks, $200 almost feel like a gift :laugh:

I have clunk when starting and in the moment the engine stops and i'm running out of options, what i have left is the clutch otherwise i'm done for this season.

I could not open the video you tried to post. If you can find another way to get it posted that would be helpful.

I´ll go for option 3, that´s probably what i´d have to pay for the welding option in sweden including national shipping anyway plus it would take weeks, $200 almost feel like a gift :laugh:

Tons of places sell them, but the billet pieces come from Brocks. If you do a search for Brocks Billet Clutch Mod or Ultra Light Clutch Mod (for the aluminum) you should find what you need. Not sure what it would cost to Sweden; but I hope it's not too terrible!

Tons of places sell them, but the billet pieces come from Brocks. If you do a search for Brocks Billet Clutch Mod or Ultra Light Clutch Mod (for the aluminum) you should find what you need. Not sure what it would cost to Sweden; but I hope it's not too terrible!

Usually the price with shipping is just a fraction of what it´d coste here, i buy most of my stuff on ebay from us or uk otherwise i´d be ruined already :laugh: I´ll go for the Ultra light i think, thanks :thumbsup:

I really hope it´ll help since i get the clunk/knock on startup and it sounds terrible i hardly use the bike anymore...

I hope it helps too! Just a question....have you had your starter checked? If it only happens on start up...hmmm. ???

I hope it helps too! Just a question....have you had your starter checked? If it only happens on start up...hmmm. ???

No i've no idea how to atm, the previous owner replaced it 2 years ago after a kickback stripped it, now i've just put an idler gear limiter, case saver, hd pins and a shorai battery with cca 210 in it but it didn't take the clunk/knock away, i'm open to all suggestions cause i won't start it again til it's gone. The starter was spinning very fast with this battery before i put the limiter in, now it hesitates to start even, never had a starting problem just the f-ing clunk/knock.

yea....that doesn't sound like a clutch problem. It sounds more like a starter/starter clutch problem. I don't know much about the busa starter system, so I don't think I'll be much help. I would start by doing research on the starter clutch and checking there.???

yea....that doesn't sound like a clutch problem. It sounds more like a starter/starter clutch problem. I don't know much about the busa starter system, so I don't think I'll be much help. I would start by doing research on the starter clutch and checking there.???

Starter clutch looks fine, the only thing not checked in the "starter chain" is the actual starter but the sound is not coming from there, i regret buying this bike now but i have to continue trying to fix it, thanks for trying to help, so much better than no response at all :-)

I guess all forum people around the world are out actually riding their bikes :p

Starter clutch looks fine, the only thing not checked in the "starter chain" is the actual starter but the sound is not coming from there, i regret buying this bike now but i have to continue trying to fix it, thanks for trying to help, so much better than no response at all :-)

I guess all forum people around the world are out actually riding their bikes :p

where is the sound coming from? what year is your bike?

Trying to convert here but my brain shut down, around 2400 miles on a -00 busa, you can hear that it ain't some tiny little thing making the sound, you know like the heavy knock from the clutch on idle when cold when idle is set too low, but it comes in the starting sequence as well.

When riding there isn't a problem not even from 0 to 1st but if i take off when it's cold a chattering noise and feeling each time i release the clutch but never when it's warm.

Since the sound is coming from the clutch area, and during start up sequence, I would pull the clutch and check everything. I would pay particular attention to the basket, the main gear behind the basket and the back torque limiter. check for unusual wear and/or broken/warped pieces.

With clutch cover and pressure plate off, pulling the clutch and moving the inner "basket" it sounds like smth is loose inside.

I could not open the video you tried to post. If you can find another way to get it posted that would be helpful.

Ok didn´t see that, i´ll check. (trying again here) it´s a .mov file.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.wmv
    750.4 KB · Views: 217
Back