Choke position

daiddu

Registered
I was briefed by the dealer to push the choke lever all the way down for about 30-45 seconds during warm-up. then move the switch back to the original position for normal operation.

I am about 1200 miles in and the idle is really low 1500-1200 rpms and today it just died at a stop with the clutch in.

I plan to keep the choke at about halfway. My question is should the lever go back to the top, or do most of you run it midrange to keep your rpms up? Thanks,

dd

From what I hear, it's not really a choke, just a fast idle lever. If it is cool out I let mine idle higher a little longer before putting it back to the normal position. I have had mine stall right after starting on cool mornings when I put the lever back too early. Otherwise I have had no prob other then adjusting my idle one time. Mine idles around 1250-1300RPM's

It is just a fast idle lever. I leave mine on all the way until the temp guage just starts to come up. You idle speed is ok if your stock.

EFI yes it is just a fast idle. Let the bike warm up on a cool morning for 5 miles or so. Actually ou are in Pananma City so even with the warmth you have high humdity to cope wth. Give the bike a little bit of running. 1200-1500 RPM is just right once warm.

Leave it on only as long as necessary. With the fast idle on you are richening up the mixture and this will wash the coating of oil from your cylinder walls. Turn it off as soon as possible. If at all possible, only use it to start the bike.

Fast idle should be idleing @ 3500 rpm with the choke lever in the down position and 1250 rpm in off position with lever all the way up, if not adjust the fast idle set screw.

Which reminds me, I need to adjust my idle up tomorrow sometime.
wink.gif

I had to do mine right after I bought it. She would only fast idle @ 1800 to 2000 rpm.

According to what our dealer told us when John bought his busa (of course, we all know, they know everything!)....it's a high idle, not a choke, and the way to use it is..

flip it down when you start the bike- the bikes running- flip it back after about 10-15 seconds.  this is what John's done since day 1 with the 'busa, and it's only stalled at idle in the driveway once..never stalled while riding, and we've never used it as a choke..like I do on my bike.  We're in Vermont, so a lot of mornings that he takes the bike to work are about 45-50' out...

Brandy

Leave it on only as long as necessary.  With the fast idle on you are richening up the mixture and this will wash the coating of oil from your cylinder walls.  Turn it off as soon as possible.  If at all possible, only use it to start the bike.
Sorry MD, I don’t understand.

All the fast idle lever does is pull open the throttles in the same fashion as the twist grip.
Having the lever pulled just saves you from holding the throttle cracked open a little.
If it was a real choke on a carb engine I would agree 100% but not on an EFI.
Unless I’m missing something?

Cheers
Ross

Back