Choke doesn't do anything...

VetteNBusa

Registered
I should've asked this some time ago, but I just remembered to ask after reading the "Warm Up" poll...

I have an 05 with about 9300 miles. When I open the choke (while it's cold or warm), the rpm's don't change. When I 1st got it, the choke would increase the rpms.

Is this normal or something I can check myself... I really would prefer to NOT take it to the stealership.

Thanks all... :beerchug:

Dave

:laugh: They used the choke icon on the lever...

But now that I got that clear... how do I adjust it? Do I need to take that thing apart?

Thanks --- this is helpful :thumbsup:

You need to adjust the cable under the fuel tank...

1)Remove the two screws that hold down the front seat...remove the seat.

2)Remove the two screws at the front of the fuel tank.

3)Use the prop rod (it's the rod in the tail section) to support the tank...it goes into one of the holes that the two bolts came out of...the other end goes in the hole of the steering stem.

4)Move the fast idle lever back and forth to identify the right cable for adjustment (it's on the right side of the bike, throttle/front brake lever side).

5)Start the engine and let it warm up (it's ok to run the engine with the tank raised) adjust the cable so that when the lever is on ALL the way, the rpm's are at 3,500 rpm...

6)Double check the lever a few times to make sure you have is set right (3,500 RPM)... :thumbsup:

7)Lower the tank...re install the two bolts for the tank.

8)Put the seat back on...install the two bolts for the seat.

9)Put the prop rod back in the tail section...Your Done :beerchug:

This is the best Busa site, hands down :bowdown:

Thank you BABusa! :beerchug:

I wish I knew some local people to ride with and have a :beerchug: (non-alco. for me) after working on the bike or riding.

Dave

I think it's this one.

Throttle.jpg

I think it's this one.

Throttle.jpg

Correct...the cable gets stretched after a while and needs to be adjusted...loosen the lock nuts, and the sheathing (cable) needs to move towards the front of the bike.

It's 1:16 am here, but thanks to you all, I don't have to worry about it.

I'd go do it right now, but I'd rather do it right in the morning after I'm rested.

A huge thank you for the pix fellas! Man! I wish I could buy you all a round for helping! :beerchug:

Dave

I did this for anyone else who might need it in the future:

Fast-Throttle-Adjustment-copy.jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind that sometimes if you turn the handlebars left or right, the idle can go up or down :whistle:

Note that the steering position will effect the pull on the cables. This is particularly important if you're adjusting the throttle cables; you want to make sure that the engine stays at idle when the steering is turned full left and full right after making adjustments.

With the fast idle adjustment you'll want to set the steering to the position that you'd have it in when warming the bike, then adjust the cable so it idles 3,500rpm at full "choke".

Good write up.....Nice and clear...... pic worth 5000 characters...
Lube cable while your at it?
thanks

OMG this is the best post...I have known for a while that I needed to adjust my engine idle but this gives me so much more information...

My bike will not stay idling with out the Fast Idle Switch being pulled all the way open...if I push it back to fully closed the bike dies, as it is I only idle just under 1k when warmed up and often have to hold the throttle open while warming up....

Once I finish adjusting the engine idle to comfort zone I will adjust the fast idle...

Whoever posted this thread.....THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheerleader::bowdown::thumbsup::beerchug:

Back