Why does a Fuel Injected Bike have a choke?

samurai1833

Registered
I was just wondering if the "choke" lever is really just a fuel feed.

I can't seem to adjust idle effectively using the knob provided. So I just keep the "choke" lever open slightly to keep the revs above 1500.

Doing this on my old GS would have fouled the plugs and degraded the performance. I don't think I'm at that risk with the new Suzuki but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts?

Why does mine not have the little knob by the oil fill. Is it just mine or what. I have an 03

It's just a "fast idle lever", doesn't effect the mixture. Won't hurt anything leaving it on, but you should be able to adjust your idle with the idle screw. Make sure the bike is warmed up fully when you set it. I mange to adjust mine with a long thin screwdriver between the tank & the frame. No need to raise the tank if you are patient.

just a fast idle..... use it as a cruise control
tounge.gif

I can't seem to adjust idle effectively using the knob provided. So I just keep the "choke" lever open slightly to keep the revs above 1500.  

Any thoughts?
wait till its warm...then adjust (screw)

live with shiddy idle,or use fast idle lever till warm...

1500 is too high in my opinion...eatin' gas, unnessecarily over-reving, dont get full engine braking potential,etc etc...

but then again...what-the-fug do I know.

As rubbha said.. 1500 is too high!! The right numbers would be between 1050 to 1250 ... I suggest you connect your laptop to your PC3 ...see what idle the machine is on, and then accordingly adjust it
biggrin.gif

...if you dont have a PC3, then keep it slightly over the 1K mark...

I like to keep it closer to the 1150 to 1200 range, or so it seems. Yeah, I noticed it smooths out the up shift for me too. Plus, I forgot where on this board, but some members posted they intentionally kept it higher to keep the oil pressure up at idle. Make sense.

But 1500 rpm is way high and I already noticed a 1-3 miles per gallon difference on the digit estimate when I had it at barely over 1000 verses 1200 rpm. I can imagine at 1500 rpm you're probably sacraficing 2 - 4 miles difference on the MPG efficiency.

Back