chain cleaning

(05BusaLe @ Feb. 16 2007,20:49)
(hydrabusa @ Feb. 16 2007,20:39) okay...cleanning with kerosene or simple green...right, but, like someone said, where can I get the white stuff from dealer use?
rock.gif
I got mine from the dealer it was on the shelf and it said chain lube! Just ask your dealer for the lube they use (on the chain) not the customer-lol
laugh.gif
 HAAAAA!!!

(Turbo-Torch @ Feb. 15 2007,14:02)
(Rhythm @ Feb. 15 2007,08:06)
(Revolution @ Feb. 15 2007,06
zzwhip.gif
) thanks rhythm
One more thing, place a paint pan just below the chain area to catch the kerosene run off from the chain.
And latex gloves otherwise that stink may be following you around for a while.
smile.gif
Stink  
rock.gif
 I call it (Kerosene) shop cologne.  
laugh.gif
 Just a dash behind each earlobe will do.  
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

ohh...like that hi-class cologne i used to wear called "kung-fu"  
super.gif

haa haa [simpsons style]

Clean with liquid wrench Then spray on SUPER LUBE( 2 types- get the non dry type) .Tefflon plus ..We did a test on a weapon and 7 days in salt water .Nada , 0 ,ZERO rust issues.and lubes like crazy
argue.gif
PR

I clean the chain with diesel fuel( bother owns a big farm, so the price was right). Same as kerosene. Once wipped down & dry, I lube it up. The diesel cuts the dirt & grime very well. Nice and clean.

(tdrcomm @ Feb. 15 2007,04:59) I've always used kerosene and chain wax.
+1

It's also what the guys who run tech inspection at the trackdays I do recommend.

BEL-RAY great lube.ON a ride 80 miles south of home,lots of twistys,on and off throttlre pretty hard,last 10 miles we [b in law,gixxer 1000]kept our speed between 110-135,we stopped for potty break.check my chain for looseness[less than 800 miles on bike]and it was pretty cool,kinda like body temp.I'm sold.It does kinda look like white lube,and it does not make a mess on bike.

(Revolution @ Feb. 13 2007,18:15) what do you use to clean the chain?

i dont want to harm the o-rings.

thanks.
During every oil change I take the chain off and soak it in Kerosene in an aluminum turkey pan, followed by a thorough scrub with a tooth brush.
Afterwards I hang it up to dry for about an hour, then soak it down with the oil specifically made for O-ring chains. After 15 minutes I give it a good wipe down and it stays clean and doesn't "spooge" oil all over my rear parts... I also clean any grime off of the rear sprocket with brake cleaner…
I got the can of Kerosene from Lowes for $9 dollars… Chain lube from the Suzuki dealer for $8 and turkey pans from WalMart for about $2…
And don’t use the tooth brush you use for your teeth… Kerosene tastes pretty bad ;-)
I know that some people swear by the WD... I use to use it on my GS 1100 chain but it ate the rubber O-rings and I had to fork out the bucks for a new one...

PS - I am pretty anal about my bikes maintenance…
race.gif

(Turbo-Torch @ Feb. 13 2007,19:22) WD40 and spray chain wax.

You've been here over a year, are closing in on 2000 posts and you're just getting around to cleaning your chain now?
This is the same stuff that I use. Before using the Chainwax, make sure your chain is a little warm from a ride of like 5 or 10 minutes..

I wish there was an absolute answer to this question. Im still asking but this is my take. I got 13k on my chain. I have used kerosene and wd40 and simple green. by far wd40 breaks up the grease best. and by far simple green will clean the crap out of it if you use at full strength. kerosens is ok but i really dont thing it works as well. As to the type of wax. I wish I knew. I got a can of honda wax and i loved it. after it was empty I thought hey I will by Suzuki wax. should be best right? well its black, goopy as hell and stickier than the floor of an adult theater....not that i would know first hand mind you!... I think its way to sticky. it slings all over the place and makes a mess. drips when it gets hot and clumps up around the front sprocket where it gathered all the dirt...cause it slings off alot and is so sticky.... when im out of it im going back to the honda stuff unless i find something better..... but thats just me......
rant.gif

Back