Chain Cleaning?

@rubbersidedown I'm not going to try to convince anyone they shouldn't clean their chain. I always find globs of sand stuck all over when I really reach way in there. I think most of the sand gets flung off pretty soon though. I don't like sand in my bike and a sparkling clean chain looks nice. Those alone are reasons to clean the chain.

@rubbersidedown I'm not going to try to convince anyone they shouldn't clean their chain. I always find globs of sand stuck all over when I really reach way in there. I think most of the sand gets flung off pretty soon though. I don't like sand in my bike and a sparkling clean chain looks nice. Those alone are reasons to clean the chain.
4 sure Bro. Whats the first half of the word sandpaper? Sand. I don't want the action of sandpaper in MY chain. What does he think? That cleaning his chain is going to harm it.Manufactures have tried belt drive,shaft drive,even encasing the chain in a housing with a quart of oil...(my old XV920 Euro Virago).Why,chains wear out sooner if not cared for. Chains are a hassle,but a nessecary evil. Busa's have to have a chain,nothing else will stand up to the horse power. But WTF...folks will do,or not do what they want. Rubb.

What does he think? That cleaning his chain is going to harm it.
I think he thinks that cleaning it will be work like checking his valve clearance would be. The guy doesn't like wrenching and i'm not going to argue with him. He's already mad at me because I disagree with him that Bill Gates invented the Corona virus. He owns 6 bikes and probably none of them will really need anything but oil changes (which he does) until he's too old to ride anymore. He's got an 06 ZX-14 with 24,000 miles on it. With all the bikes he has to ride, it might have 30,000 miles after the next 15 years.

Other than oil, he doesn't believe in changing fluids. Like I said, I'm not going to argue with him. He might might not wrench much but he rides a lot more than I do.

I have a friend who says he never cleans his chain, he just lubes it. I don't think it matters a whole lot as far as chain longevity. If you don't mind riding around with a cruddy chain your chain probably won't either. I clean mine evry few hundred miles and always have and I have changed my OEM chain where my bud says his is just fine. I doubt he actually took the time to measure the 21 pins though, knowing him.

What is "...took the time to measure the 21 pins"?

I think he thinks that cleaning it will be work like checking his valve clearance would be. The guy doesn't like wrenching and i'm not going to argue with him. He's already mad at me because I disagree with him that Bill Gates invented the Corona virus. He owns 6 bikes and probably none of them will really need anything but oil changes (which he does) until he's too old to ride anymore. He's got an 06 ZX-14 with 24,000 miles on it. With all the bikes he has to ride, it might have 30,000 miles after the next 15 years.

Other than oil, he doesn't believe in changing fluids. Like I said, I'm not going to argue with him. He might might not wrench much but he rides a lot more than I do.
perhaps your buddy would be better suited to the ride I have pictured below. A final drive that needs nothing but a good coat of saddle soap or similar...its made of leather.You'll also notice on the same bike the ease of valve adjustment...they are exposed...no excuses for not staying on top of clearances for those puppies. I know you don't care if he does his maintainence...I dont give a fug either....just posting up a funny. :laugh:
Rubb.

What is "...took the time to measure the 21 pins"?
You measure the length of 20 links on the chain to determine how much the chain has stretched. Twenty links is center of pin 1 to center of pin 21. There is a specced length that 20 links should not exceed and if it does, it's time to change the chain.

The procedure is described accurately and the diagram is drawn correctly but the labeling is misleading. Looks like the calipers are measuring 20 pins according to the label but if you count, it's 21. Anyway, if you measure only 20 pins you will see right away that it can't be right. Measure 21 pins center to center, do this at a few different places around the chain just to be thorough.

I just hang a 20 lb weight from the bottom run on the chain instead of tightening up the adjusters. That's what Kaw recommends. Seems to work just fine and you don't have to get your chain adjustment all out of whack.

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 12.47.01 PM.png

So I just found this thread, and I didn't want to make a new one. How often do you guys clean and lube your chain? Every 500 miles? Or do you go longer?

I'm just curious, because I just cleaned and lubed mine about 200 miles ago, just trying to get the best idea from people who have actual experience with this. 500 Miles seems like quite often, but I will be sure to do it, if it really makes that much of a difference.

So I just found this thread, and I didn't want to make a new one. How often do you guys clean and lube your chain? Every 500 miles? Or do you go longer?

I'm just curious, because I just cleaned and lubed mine about 200 miles ago, just trying to get the best idea from people who have actual experience with this. 500 Miles seems like quite often, but I will be sure to do it, if it really makes that much of a difference.
500 is perfect and yes it makes a difference.
Rubb.

319.4 MM. OK. I have never done this measurement in 40+ years of riding.
0ops.:D I just grab the chain at the half way point between the 2 runs at the back of the rear sprocket and attempt to pull it off the sprocket.If it pulls away a bit,I call it OK. If it pulls away a lot,I get a new chain.:thumbsup:
I am going to start measuring from now on thou...you've caused me great paranoia Mythos.:shocked:
Rubb.

It doesn't matter much. Don't use WD-40 on your chain at all. You don't need to clean it every single time. Try to spray some lube on there every few hunderd miles, it isn't that difficult. If the bike goes a thousand once in a while without lube you won't notice any difference. Lube it right away if you ride in the rain. Make sure the tension is right, that's the most important thing. Don't make it TIGHT. If it lays on the swingarm chain guide with only the bike's weight, that's about right.

Back