Chain Cleaning?

Ham

Registered
Hi i want to clean my chain on my newly purchased 09 what do you guys suggest and what to stay away from.

Ditto, what he said..!! :-)
Cleaning chains while they are on the bike sucks, but if you have riveted master links, there's not a lot of other choices.
If you can't find a ready source of Kerosene, just use charcoal lighter fluid, it's the same thing and you can get it cheap.
BB

kerosene to clean and I use BelRay chain wax. Never had any sling from this stuff. I love it. Some folks use wd40 to clean it. Ive tried it but it seems more messy to me any way.

I use WD-40 to clean, then I dry, and lube afterwards. Works great; and WD-40 will not harm 0-rings. Motorcyclist magazine did some testing with it (soaking the o-rings in it for days and had no issues). It's a great cleaner, not a lube though.

I have one of those bristle brushes that wrap around the sides for cleaning chain. I live on a gravel road and ride 3-5 miles on gravel every time I go for a ride just to get to blacktop. It sucks. I don't clean very often though and when I do I just use the Dupont stuff, clean with brush while still wet. Mostly clean it for appearance. Same procedure on my previous Gen 1 let the chain last 22,000 miles plus.

I use WD-40 to clean, then I dry, and lube afterwards. Works great; and WD-40 will not harm 0-rings. Motorcyclist magazine did some testing with it (soaking the o-rings in it for days and had no issues). It's a great cleaner, not a lube though.

Nope it doesn't harm the O rings. Being a solvent, it just passes them by and helps get rid of that pesky lube the O rings are keeping around the chain links.....

kerosene to clean and I use BelRay chain wax. Never had any sling from this stuff. I love it. Some folks use wd40 to clean it. Ive tried it but it seems more messy to me any way.
So im guessing kerosene won't harm the O rings

I usually use Motul chain cleaner(which is probably mostly kerosene)and lube,wipe off excess and let sit overnight.One of the handiest gadgets I've found is called Grease Ninja,does the best job ever of lubing your chain in about 15 seconds with hardly any waste or mess.

http://www.greaseninja.com/Chain-Lube-Accessory.html

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/accessories/grease-ninja.php
I figured i give the grease ninja a shot, looks like a solid product. Plus they are local to me.
Thanks for the info.

Yup K or wd and I like the handy....Grunge brush. Beware Amazon etc...you can get them for 5 bucks...NOT $29.95
Rubb.

Back