Chain Cleaning

bigc70

Registered
Hey gang. Getting my 08 Busa ready for the riding season. Going to be changing my oil soon. While I'm at it, I've noticed that I have some build up of chain lube on and around the chain area. What's the best way to clean this off? As always thanks in advance!

I have kerosene in a spray bottle,,spray a rag and wipe it down, works great, smells even better. :lol:

Smellphone via Forum Runner

Many people will say wd-40 but even the owners manual says Kerosene.. I'm with Froggy though, inhale deeply.. :laugh:

Kerosene and a rag, then lube with Dupoint chain lube. No more mess.

I am one that uses WD-40. Simply because we have by the 55 gallon drum at work. It's free and readily accessible. Works great too:thumbsup:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

that was
easy-button~s800x800.jpg

LMAO @Lil Charlie for the pledge comment. Thanks again! So to this point I've been using the Suzuki chain lube. Dupoint works better?

lil charlie said:
Now…..who’s going to tell him about pledge?

That would fall to Mr. Sleepless correct???
:laugh:

I'm a WD40 and a rag guy too. I've heard WD is mostly kerosene anyways??? Works almost too easy. Let it dry over night after cleaning then relube with your favorite chain lube.

For a touch up, I'll wipe the chain down with a rag and WD49. About every 500 miles or so I clean the chain with kerosene as recommended by the manufacturer. If you have not cleaned the front sprocket, clutch rod, and cover, you will find it pretty dirty behind the cover. Kerosene is the best thing I have found to clean the front sprocket. Put a little grease on the clutch rod before you slide it back in.:thumbsup:

My chain is disgusting. I have tried everything to get the chain brand new looking and no luck. Where can you buy the kerosene in the bottle at? I need to try this and get some dupoint lube

My chain is disgusting. I have tried everything to get the chain brand new looking and no luck. Where can you buy the kerosene in the bottle at? I need to try this and get some dupoint lube

I buy my kerosene at Home Depot.

Get the Dupont at Lowes. They may have the kero as well

Wal Mart has kerosene in smaller containers. If my chain is really dirty I will use kerosene and a grunge brush. But I normally use wd-40 and a rag.

For a touch up, I'll wipe the chain down with a rag and WD49.

I am trying to figure out what this WD49 is and where I can get it, because it has to be better since it is the 49th formula. :poke: :rofl:

Kerosene and a rag, then lube with Dupoint chain lube. No more mess.

Ditto, this method. I also have kerosene in a spray bottle, let it dry, wipe it clean, then come back, with the Dupont Chain Saver (Yellow or Blue can; I use yellow). Then clean the rim, & wipe the face of the chain. (Every 600 miles).

I also, spray & wipe some chain saver lube, in between, the 600 miles "Full" cleaning, after a ride, while the chain is still warm. I just want to make sure I have enough lube, on the chain. If you look at my chain, it looks like it just came from the factory. No dirt, grim, or discoloration. It may even look dry, but it isn't. I like it like that. Clean! (Also the sprocket) :)

Back