Chain Cleaning?

I did have one of these too,but lost it along the way....

I use my Grunge brush along with a denture brush (to clean my chain). It hits all 4 sides at once that way. I have never used anything but kerosene. I used WD-40 on my other bike until I noticed little splinters of black rubber on the wheel right after I took it for a ride to fling out the solvent before lubing. I have always used Maxima wax to lube and occasionally Maxima Chain Guard which is an oil and I think a little better for cold weather riding.

The book says DO use kerosene to clean the chain.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 9.24.02 PM.png

Guess its where you look on places like Amazon...The Grunge Brush $13.95
Walmart has 'em too.
Rubb.
Finally ordered a couple of those the other day one fir myself and one fir my cousin and think I paid about 10 bucks for both :thumbsup:. But now I see that grease ninja posted on the first page and I want it, old lady gonna kill me since she's not going back to work no time soon and there's no way for me to sneak home on lunch and get packages off the porch without her knowing anymore:banghead:

Finally ordered a couple of those the other day one fir myself and one fir my cousin and think I paid about 10 bucks for both :thumbsup:. But now I see that grease ninja posted on the first page and I want it, old lady gonna kill me since she's not going back to work no time soon and there's no way for me to sneak home on lunch and get packages off the porch without her knowing anymore:banghead:
Dopey Dopey Dopey...you haven't been paying attention in class again,have you. You obviously missed that part of my seminar...
"Buy all the Busa part's you want,without The Wife ever finding out."
Many website sellers let you choose where to have the goods sent to. For years,I have had them sent to the local post office.Safe secure storage... Pick up at your leisure...
and nobody is none the wiser.

My good buddy used to baffle his wife with HUGE Quantity. He would buy and sell so many bikes constantly. His wife would come out to the garage,sit,have a beer with us and shoot the shi7. I would look at him

he would look at me
we would motion our eyes over to the new bike,look back at each other and ;) She would finish her beer,walk out and we would have a chuckle and do a little celebratory :beerchug:.
Baffled with bullshid again. "Honey,is that blue one new?"
"No sweets I've had that one forever."
Ya right,if "forever" means you got it last week.

It's not like she was stooopid or anything,she was a PHD for crying out loud. She just couldn't keep up with the "Rotating Inventory."
Rubb.

I'm using the motul stuff. I try to keep the bike pretty clean. How often do you guys lube the chains? Im doing a few hundred mile intervals (500 or so).
I usually use whatever I have laying around and try to clean and lube it every 500 or so. I started cleaning and lubing it at a buddy's house while I wait for him to get ready to ride and using motorex cleaner and the off road dry lube and liked it so I got myself some of my own motorex cleaner and gonna try the racing lube since I've been known to get out when it's wet and the dry lube is no good fir that.

I'm using the motul stuff. I try to keep the bike pretty clean. How often do you guys lube the chains? Im doing a few hundred mile intervals (500 or so).
I think 500 is a great number.Its what most chain and bike manufactures/techs suggest.Maybe more often if you are fearless and ride in the rain all the time like Dopey :thumbsup: With my big fat tire and stretch I NEVER attempt the rain ride. Rubb is a scared. :shocked:Also if you were in dusty conditions you may want to up it more.
I've heard good and bad about the automatic oilers from like say Scottoilers...in a few more years when I can no longer get up off the ground(knees) I will be NEEDING one,not wanting one.I dont think you can OVER DO chain maintenance.
No go lube and ride...
Rubb.

Kerosene clean and Amsoil 80w lube every 400-500 mi unless wet riding then right after. Garden hose and WD-40 for temp on road trips

Which Dupont Teflon are you guys using?
:D I'm not. I use Motul MC Care. Sticks pretty good.Also have a can of Maxima chain wax. The paraffin base type,a little pricey,but really sticky too.If u do get a little "fly-off' its fairly clear,no black goo everywhere.
Rubb.

My chain tells me when it needs to be lubed...I can feel it in the pegs and seat oddly enough...I use Maxxim Chain Wax.
I used maxim chain wax fir years and just recently found out that when u buy the "kit" it comes with a wet lube your posed to put on and let soak in before putting the wax on. Used ot this way on my cousin's gixxer and it made a nice difference in how often we had to relube the chain and also took some of thre vibration out of the pegs like u were talking about.

I have a friend who says he never cleans his chain, he just lubes it. I don't think it matters a whole lot as far as chain longevity. If you don't mind riding around with a cruddy chain your chain probably won't either. I clean mine evry few hundred miles and always have and I have changed my OEM chain where my bud says his is just fine. I doubt he actually took the time to measure the 21 pins though, knowing him.

I have a friend who says he never cleans his chain, he just lubes it. I don't think it matters a whole lot as far as chain longevity. If you don't mind riding around with a cruddy chain your chain probably won't either. I clean mine evry few hundred miles and always have and I have changed my OEM chain where my bud says his is just fine. I doubt he actually took the time to measure the 21 pins though, knowing him.
I dunno. "It's all fun and games till somebody loses an' eye". When the chain breaks.Sometimes they fall to the ground,sometimes they go thru the cases. A risk I just won't take. Metal parts grinding against one another with dirt in between...

I have an' emoji with him in mind...aaahhh nevermind.
Rubb.

Back