chain cleaning

(Revolution @ Feb. 14 2007,18:26) anyone use break cleaner to clean the chain?
rock.gif
?
Use kerosene, WD40 or any overpriced dealer product made for cleaning chains. They're all safe and long term tested.

Save the brake cleaner for cleaning brake parts and killing wasps. Even if one brand doesn't dissolve your O-rings there's no telling what other companies use in their formula.

Kerosene (a galllon from Lowes or Home Depot) applied using a small hand held pump canister, clean thoroughly with a tooth brush. Both items can be purchased at Lowes fairly cheap.

(Rhythm @ Feb. 14 2007,20:12) Kerosene (a galllon from Lowes or Home Depot) applied using a small hand held pump canister, clean thoroughly with a tooth brush. Both items can be purchased at Lowes fairly cheap.
Ditto
beerchug.gif

I use wd and simple green .... need to get that kerosene. just havent made the time. plus i bought a gallon of wd; the only problem withe wd i found is that it splatters in a fine mist when i scub the chane with the brush so some if the mist gets on the bike. no biggie though. seems to work.

i got this chain wax from the dealer that is from suzuki. this stuff is black and is the stickiest stuff! geesh.

I tried using that finishline stuff. the brush is the only thing thats anygood. the other stuff was crap in my opinion...

I use tiki torch fuel and a plastic brisle grill brush. you can get it at walmart garden center.

(Revolution @ Feb. 15 2007,06:32) thanks rhythm  
beerchug.gif
One more thing, place a paint pan just below the chain area to catch the kerosene run off from the chain.

(Rhythm @ Feb. 15 2007,08:06)
(Revolution @ Feb. 15 2007,06
zzwhip.gif
) thanks rhythm  
beerchug.gif
One more thing, place a paint pan just below the chain area to catch the kerosene run off from the chain.
And latex gloves otherwise that stink may be following you around for a while.
smile.gif

I use kerosene too and chain wax. About every 500 miles I'll pull the rear wheel, place a pan under the bike, pour some kerosene in the pan and clean the chain with a parts brush, then wipe off. Put the wheel back on, dry, apply chain wax. Been doing this since the busa was new. Have almost 30K miles on the stock chain and sprockets, and they look like new. Getting a little chain stretch now, so new chain in the near future, but sprockets show no wear. Kerosene and chain lube is what Suzuki recommends, and I figure they know a little about the bike.

(GSXcite @ Feb. 16 2007,12:48) I use kerosene too and chain wax. About every 500 miles I'll pull the rear wheel, place a pan under the bike, pour some kerosene in the pan and clean the chain with a parts brush, then wipe off. Put the wheel back on, dry, apply chain wax. Been doing this since the busa was new. Have almost 30K miles on the stock chain and sprockets, and they look like new. Getting a little chain stretch now, so new chain in the near future, but sprockets show no wear. Kerosene and chain lube is what Suzuki recommends, and I figure they know a little about the bike.
Wow pull the wheel every 500 miles?
Too much work for me, I'll just do it with the wheel on and take my chances with it wearing out sooner!

(05BusaLe @ Feb. 16 2007,09:55)
(GSXcite @ Feb. 16 2007,12:48) I use kerosene too and chain wax. About every 500 miles I'll pull the rear wheel, place a pan under the bike, pour some kerosene in the pan and clean the chain with a parts brush, then wipe off. Put the wheel back on, dry, apply chain wax. Been doing this since the busa was new. Have almost 30K miles on the stock chain and sprockets, and they look like new. Getting a little chain stretch now, so new chain in the near future, but sprockets show no wear. Kerosene and chain lube is what Suzuki recommends, and I figure they know a little about the bike.
Wow pull the wheel every 500 miles?
Too much work for me, I'll just do it with the wheel on and take my chances with it wearing out sooner!
Takes about five min. to pull the wheel. I use a quick clip on the axel nut so I don't have to mess with a cotter pin.

okay...cleanning with kerosene or simple green...right, but, like someone said, where can I get the white stuff from dealer use?
rock.gif

(hydrabusa @ Feb. 16 2007,20:39) okay...cleanning with kerosene or simple green...right, but, like someone said, where can I get the white stuff from dealer use?
rock.gif
I got mine from the dealer it was on the shelf and it said chain lube! Just ask your dealer for the lube they use (on the chain) not the customer-lol

Back