Carbon Fiber?

Your the man TY
cool.gif
Summer around the coner,Homie.

and yep, vinyl works, is easy to repair and is cheap. BUT.....when it starts to bubble, its looks like crap nd then it can be a real PITA to get off. If it bubbles, going over the old vinyl looks crappy also. Food for thought.

and yep, vinyl works, is easy to repair and is cheap. BUT.....when it starts to bubble, its looks like crap nd then it can be a real PITA to get off. If it bubbles, going over the old vinyl looks crappy also. Food for thought.
Quit h8tn Gary!
laugh.gif
You know everything I touch turns to gold.

Quit h8tn Gary!
laugh.gif
 You know everything I touch turns to gold.
not hating, telling you the future. Cheaper alternative guaranteed but more work. CF can yellow, scratch etc etc etc...its not flawless or perfect.

dem molds ain't gonna work....well not decently.
I told you that when I made them a few years ago they still need fine tuning.  
deadhorse.gif

Stop drinking the nasty azz H8trade!
moon.gif
I pm'd you the answer. You need to use them to create a master with proper flanging to ensure you have proper adhesion on your edges.
Absolutely, Gary. That would make the bagging process work flawlessly.

My plan is to use this mold for making a male plug with a flange

female mold is better since you can't really do a gel coat outer finish with a male mold in this application. Depends if you plan to paint it, finish etc etc etc

female mold is better since you can't really do a gel coat outer finish with a male mold in this application. Depends if you plan to paint it, finish etc etc etc
Right! My plans were orginally to make a carbon fiber cover first, applying the clear with a paint gel cup. I aslo can get away with using the male applying a gel finish too. I didn't have any problems keeping the gel up the side walls when I fabricated my enlarge trunk on the BUsa.

But good lQQkn out,Gary.

Heres proof it can be done using a male plug. This is my enlarged trunk using a male plug to fabricate. The resin will bleed through when setting up,sealing both side of the reinforcement inside and out.

Modifiedundertail1.jpg

problem you will run into is that if the gel coat is too thick it will discolor or not adhere properly. Plus keeping consistent thickness is impossible. You can do it your way, skim coat it with body filler, seal, prep and paint. Just more labor intensive. I personally won't put gel coat on by hand.

problem you will run into is that if the gel coat is too thick it will discolor or not adhere properly. Plus keeping consistent thickness is impossible. You can do it your way, skim coat it with body filler, seal, prep and paint. Just more labor intensive. I personally won't put gel coat on by hand.
Its not feasible for me to spray the gel,I'm not doing it to make money. If were doing it for money yes. To do the process faster I would also use a chopper gun to apply the glass on non structural pieces I make.

True, thats why you apply then layers at at time, but not too long so the next layer will chemicallly bond to the first layer.

Back