Busa vs. R1

OB_Mystic

Registered
Anything to fear? The R1 is almost half the weight and almost as powerful.. Only one way to find out?? Anyone race an R1 yet? My friend is getting one and I will see 1st hand. But hes an amateur rider.. Ill have to wait till he gets better... Any R1 owners in San Diego????

A friend that I ride with alot has an R1. They are nice bikes, lots of power. In the curves he kicks my *** but in the straits I can blow him away if I try. He is a better rider in the curvs so if you are pretty good you might do better than me.

Give it a try but be safe about it.

Every R1 I've ever seen has been a wheelie monster. A friend of mine used to drag race his R1 and he sold it because he couldn't keep it on the ground. Now he owns a busa. His best time was a 10.30 and that was with exhaust, jetted, and air filter. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

iz

That guy running 10.30's on the R-1 would beat 95% of people in a dragrace on the street......Busa and 12,included.Most racers don't come close to running that quick on an R-1.

To Cyclestuff: The quick version: Busa: best drag bike, top end bike, and has the most potential for more hp. ............. ..R-1 best "twistie" bike. I have a 2000 GSXR 750 coming in 2 to 4 weeks, that may take that title......................... ..ZX-12 : good "twistie" big displacement bike, fills the gap between R-1 and Busa. More comfortable than either, on the long haul, more upright riding position. Smoother on vibration . Does not have that irritating buzz, in the 4000 to 5000 range, that Busa has. Only mods planned would be -1 on front sprocket, and +2 on rear, to get use of 4 th gear in quarter. Clutch easier to use in launch, but is offset by bike having taller 1 st, 2 nd , and 3rd gears. 6 th gear lower than Busa. Actual, measured speed at 5500 rpm is 93 mph ( 100 mph on speedo ) . Projected top speed @ 11,000 rpm is 186 mph. Peak hp reported on a dyno, from another source was @ 9800 rpm, with stock pipe. Peak hp / rpm may be 10.5 to 11k rpm, with Muzzy. Was practicig 60' times, and cheking speedo at local dragstrip, last Saturday. Will do full 1/4 mi. pure stock, and with pipe and gearing, next month, when I have more miles on it.

No C.Dolan..He ran the 10.30 on his 1999 R1.....(Yosh RS-3 Duplex, Jets, and an Air Filter). He's been riding for years and is probably one of the best riders in this state (MS).

iz

P.S. It really doesn't matter anymore though because he just got a 2000 busa about a month ago.

[This message has been edited by iz213 (edited 10 April 2000).]

Let us know what he turns on Busa. Sounds like he may be skilled rider, that doesn't weigh much. 1/4 mi. Mph would be especially interesting.

C.Dolan, give us some feed back on the busa, 12, and R1. Since they are all in your stable let us know which one is the best all around bike.

Geez c.dolan. I want YOUR garage! The new Gixxer is a gorgeous machine. I got a chance to at least sit on it at the Intl Motorcycle Show in NYC. Please let is know what you think of how she handles. At least we can live vicariously through you.

Walt - San Diego
1990 GSX1100F Katana
1999 GSX1300R Hayabusa

From real life riding in Santa Clara from stop light to stop light the bus will beat the R1 by a bike length at best.These are block lengths on Lawerance Expressway Santa Clara about 1/2mile length.I know since I raced one.On the curves the R1 will eat the busa unless you have a squid on the R1 and a racer on the busa.

An R1 is 385 dry..... busa 474 dry. This is far from 1/2 the weight. A R1 with a pipe is 133 hp.

My busa is 390 dry... bring on those R1's

I've got an R1 and a Busa, at the stop light GP surprisingly the R1 wins - why? Coz the clutch is brilliant, the Busa is too snatchy and I end up with monster wheelies or wheelspin, on the drag strip where I have more grip and can be more aggressive with the clutch the Busa wins comfortably.
I still haven't fitted my Brock mod through sheer laziness.

As for the twisties, I've managed to beat a few sportsbikes on the Busa, surprisingly, at high speed the Busa turns quicker than the R1 but ground clearance is at a premium.

On the street unless there's tonnes of switchbacks I'd say there would be very little in it, as the Busa Stability means you can push harder over dodgy roads, but on fast sweepers or braking hard into the bend the R1 is king. But the Busa is less far behind than you'd think.

The last trackday did there was a guy in the fast group on a standard Bus giving the racers a real hard time - Relax. This thing handles better than 99% of it's riders, this was no power circuit!

As for comfort - well I used to say the R1 wasn't too bad until I got used to the Busa, now a 200 mile journey in the rain in the R1 feels like torture, it's a wheeze on the Busa.

I run Pilot Races on the R1 and Pilot Sports on the Bus.

The only downer is reliability, the R1 has covered 14,000+ miles in my hands from new and has never missed a beat or broken down - in fact no problems at all - Zilch, as this was one of the first batch of R1s off the production line all I can say is I'm mucho impressed, I wish I could say the same about the Busa which gives me lots of grief.

Sadly as I've moved back to London the R1 has to go (lack of space) I need the Busa for it's pillion friendly nature (since I got the Busa the girlfriend won't even get on the back of the R1!)

Both Brilliant bikes - so good in fact only the rider will separate them in any situation regardless of the fact one is a sports bike and one a sports/tourer. Of course if the rider is capable of getting near the limits on any bike then the R1 is king - but how many riders do you no who can get within two or three seconds of club track records on a standard bike? Only riders of that capability will use what the R1 offers over the Busa.

In regard the post about the R1 not being as quick to turn in as the Busa at high speed, I found this also. SOlution for me was a Fox racing shock with adjustable ride height. Raised the rear ride height 1/2" and it became a totally diffenent bike. Just had the front forks done by Race Tech and the R1 is now absolutely awesome...until my wrists start hurting after 100 miles or so ;-)

To e_ticket : Dealer to get bike 2 to 3 weeks from now, and deliver from New Mexico 1st or 2nd week of May. ( Blue + white 2000 GSXR 750 ). Gave my local dealer chance to match price. They had 2 week advance offer on ZX-12, and, to their regret, didn't take it. All of their deposits bailed, and bike has been in showroom almost a week. Never heard of that, when 99 Busa came out. GSXR 750's will sell quick, unlike ZX-12.

Back