Hayabusa vs. R1 !!!

OB_Greg

Registered
check this out from a mostly R1 message board...
let's stop arguin amongst ourselves and get down to fighting the real enemy

greg

TOP | Post | Reply | Reply/Quote | Email Reply | Delete | Edit
Previous | Next | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Topic:
YZF-R1 vs. Hayabusa (20 of 31), Read 88 times
Conf:
Boxing Ring
DieselR1 (lastdiesel@aol.com)
Date:
Saturday, May 15, 1999 07:34 AM

Hey all, Diesel here. Sorry i been away for awhile,and yes..i still have yet to get a R1..things
are looking up though. So hopefully before the end of summer, i'll know what the "true hype" is
all about.

Which brings me on the subject of the yabbadabbaduser (try saying that 3 times fast) vs. the
R1. Please. Your joking right? Now before i go and say what i will, i'm happy to see this bike
produced. Its an amazing peice of machinery (for a suzuki that is). Seeing a machine born that
can do sub 10sec 1/4 miles and practically 200mph stock is a feat i am ever proud to witness.
It, along with the R1 of course, is a peek into the future of what is to come. The day will come
when these machines will probably look like the bike from the Jap animation flic "Akira", and will
have performance that will make indy and formula 1 cars look hilarious. Face it, cars are dying,
and the bikes are catching up at a alarming rate and will more then likely surpass the supercar
in performance of all standards. Thing is that i have to ask though, why does it seem that R1
riders seem to be a bit afraid of this bike? I run a Blackbird, am i scared to death of this
machine? NO! Will i be scared of this bike when i get my R1? OH HEEEELL NO! Why is it that the
tone of thinking here seems to be that anyone and everyone who buys a Hyabusa, is magically
going to transform into Migual DuHamel and push that mother to the performance that the
mags hype about?? Motorsucklist and Bi-Cycle World say "Oh the hyabusa can 9.9 sec..this..oh
oragasm..or the Hyabusa can do 200mph this" hey guess what WHO GIVES A SH%T?!?! Unless
your running against this bike on the drag strip or Bonneville speed flats (rare occasion) and the
rider is a vetern who can Really work this machine (an even MORE rare occasion) your not
going to have much to worry about. Why? What happens on the track is one thing, what
happens on the street is another. These bikes are called Streetbikes bacause, they are mostly
rode on the street. Where would the majority of confrontations happen? On the street. And
thats where its mostly always going to happen because not everyone has a track nearby that
they can run full bore at and i don't recall anyone ever living on a track with a toilet and a bike
and a fridge in a trailer DOWN BY THE RIVER! Yes some of the Riders may be 30-40 year old
veterns who can use and respect this machine, but the other vast majority are going to be
squids that are going to run this thing full thrust on the streets. That being said, i think i'll strap
a F-14 Tomcat engine to the back of my Blackbird, so i can spend the last moments of my life
looking like a complete idiot plowing into the back of that buick that was 4 miles ahead of me
5.2 seconds quicker then the Hyabusa rider that will soon follow suit. Better yet, i'll buy a
space shuttle, Cause those are REAL FAST! Lets take a step by step comparison of what WILL
happen when the R1 and HidemyBusa rumble in Track and Real world scenerios.

Straight Line: Top speed is a no brainer. With the Hyabusa having better wind protection then
the R1, it will take the R1 out after 190mph, more then likely, maybe even before that mark.
But the gap may not be so big even if the R1 is stock. And if the R1 is modified with a Pipe and
Jet kit, they'll be matched and more likely the R1 will stay ahead till the 190 mark hits. Thing is,
this is if u can actually find a stretch of road (there out there though)where u don't have
deer,dogs,kids, people, and those big metal things....what are they called...oh yes...CARS AND
TRUCKS to worry about. Unless u can do stoppies at 150mph, if anybody tries doing this on the
street i'll be watching them on America's Dumbest Accidents. SAme thing goes for the 1/4 mile
run. The R1 can do sub 10 sec runs too, half the race is in the hole shot though and the R1 is
Not a Easy bike to do this with. But it can be done. Applying techniques like short shifting, or
fantly pressing on the Rear Brake while launching can aid in this. Mind u though the Hyabusa
rider can hole shot most likely easier and harder if they do this as well. At the strip, it can truly
be any bikes race(rider skill and luck pending), on the street however, its the same thing as
doing top speed runs. They will more then likely be equally quick. Which you can say they are
equal in street scenerios. This category can be called a tie.

Conering. It has been said that the Hyabusa,with its great chassis and positive front end feel,
could possibly take a R1 out on certain road courses. Yea well, i have yet to see that happen.
If the course, has alot of straight lines and mild sweepers in it, that may be possible. But more
then likely, and espeically on more curvy courses, the R1 will destroy this thing PERIOD. This
fight would be like the many fights of the past the 916 had. Yes the more powerful bikes would
catch up in a striaght line, but hit two curves and the 916 would have half a lap on them. The
R1 is lighter, and of course quicker. If anyone thinks this hyabusa's cornering ability is going to
be faster or better then the R1's, please pass me the joint your toking. Your not going to make
a BIG BIKE corner faster then a lighter more agile one. Which is another thing. The R1's
cornering ability has been dubbed better then the 916's. And ,like when the 916 first came out,
its such a highly advanced bike that the true conering ability of this bike has yet to be fully
known. It took a year to get used to the 916 enough to find its limits and it may take longer for
the R1. We have seen nothing yet when it comes to doing lap times on this bike. The other
thing is is size DOES matter here. Thing i learned from my Blackbird is The bigger and heavier
they are, the more brakes and tires they eat when ripping curves. Your sure to have more road
time on your R1 because the Hyabusa rider will be at the shop waiting to get new brakes and
tires every 700 miles if they try Bladerunning this thing in the curves.
Advantage R1.

Braking: The Brakes on the R1 have been dubbed phenominal. Not sure about the Hyabusa's
though. But even if they are close in comparison or not, the R1 will stop quicker then the bus.
Unless King Kong Bundy happens to be riding the R1 that is.
Advantage R1

Looks: I don't even want to entertain this one. You'd have to be as drunk as the Budweiser
Frogs at a Frat party to think the Hyabusa is better looking then the R1. Its not that bad
looking of a bike, but the only way the Spankabusa will look better then the R1 is if Yasmine
Bleeth is handcuffed naked to that bike. And u can bet she'll be crying for a R1 rider to rescue
her.
Advantage: R1

Reliability: This is the MAIN reason i want to keep the Haveadusa section on this forum. Please,
PLEEEEEEASE keep this here. So i can watch to see what impending problems this thing is most
likely to run into. Now that might not happen. It may be a good reliable machine. But its a
suzuki. Yes the R1 had had some problems one being the rear sprocket (long sinced fixed), and
the other being the clutch (mostly worked out). Thing is these have occurred to some people
while to others they have had no problem. Some were bastards, some were saints. That
happens in mass production (as much as it sucks). Which brings me to the Haveabrewski. I
never owned a suzuki, and i don't plan to...Ever most likely. Some people will say they never
had probs with them. Well praise god to you then, because from what i remember they always
had problems. When the Revamped Gsxr-750 first came out, it took the world by storm. It also
took owners to the shop because the head gasket wasn't thick enough and valve clearance
soon became a known problem. The TL1000s would become a Tank-Slapping Nightmare if it hit
two bumps in a rapid succession, The TL1000R had a rear suspension that was too weird and
too soft to deal with, and the fuel injected Gsxr-750's were a sad joke. Fuel injection is
supposed to eliminate dips and add mid-range. Neither happened here. Now comes the
Hyabusa. If history bears meaning,and it usually does, this bike may be the worlds biggest Hand
Grenade for all we know. Yes it may come out as having no problems and being stone cold
reliable. But with suzuki's recall history on newly released models, i wouldn't trust it. In all
fairness, i'll mark this a tie for now.

So there you have it folks. You can easily see that the R1 is a Much better bike then the
BOOMSHAKALAKALAKAdusa. It equals or surpasses this bike in all scenerios. The R1 is the
supreme victor in this battle. And like the former king of curves,the 916, the R1 will be at the
top for quite awhile i think. And its a bike that i hope to soon experience. It'l take some time
though, but its not so bad coming off a Big heavy Blackbird and reading the mail and posts of
R1 riders having fun doing wheelies and 130mph curves and this and that and I HATE YOU
ALL!!...er...sorry...heehee..need my medication. Ah..thats better, but anyways its something i
hope to soon relate to.

cheers..
Diesel

This Post Was Paid For By The Council To Stop Big Ugly Sportbikes With Funny Names.

well, he DID get one thing right. he does need his medicaton. wow. that was incredible. after all the years of developement on the hayabusa, all those little japanese guys had to do was drop a line to deisel. hell, he has all the answers already. what an idiot. i'm sorry, i don't usually blast people for giving their oppinions, but, he said all this stuff (comparisons) like it was fact. well, i don't know where he buys HIS crack, but there are junkies all over the world reading his posts and drooling about when they may find some this good. 1/4 mile times? equal? oh my friggin god. you've really lost your mind. no r-1 has, as of yet, stock, run in the 9's. however, there have been several runs in the mid nines on a stock busa. documented. even one at 9:47. so, equal my #$@. secondly, straight line? up to 190 or so it will keep up? once again, you do need your medication. let's see, i haven't seen a single time that an r-1, stock, has come anywhere NEAR 190 mph. the busa has been clocked in the high 190's, even once on radar in england at 200.2 mph STOCK! (you can see that video at www.motorcycleworld.co.uk) so, straight line, never happen dude. thirdly, cornering, (keeping in mind you keep saying on the street) the r-1 will be the better handling bike, hands down. dont' think anyone will argue that point, however, there is no way in hell that it will DESTROY the busa as you say. i've been in some of the tightest twisties there are with an r-1 and he never pulled away from me. he did widen the gap about midway through the corner until i was able to get back into the gas. also, my busa only had 250 miles on it, so, i wasn't going all out. fourth, braking, no way in hell the busa will stop as quick as an r-1. period. not even gonna argue that point. but the busa DOES stop well indeed for such a large bike. so, i'll give the r-1 that one. fifth, looks, okay, i'll have to give the r-1 that one too. it is one sexy bike. second only to the 916. hands down winner. i can admit it. sixth, reliability, okay, i've owned every brand of jap bike made, kawasaki, honda, suzuki, and of course yamaha. all were great bikes, all were much more reliable than an american bike, (really hurts to admit that one) but how you can say that suzuki has a bad track record is beyond me. all, and i do mean ALL jap manufacturers have had their moments. as for the 96 gixxer that took the world by storm, but had the head gasket problem, that was only pre-production models that were released to the public. and as far as the 98 fuel injected model being a slug? hmmm, my buddy has a 98 with a yosh duplex pipe, k & n air filter, and the fuel injection remapped, puts out 128.6 rwhp. that's rather impressive to me. so, it has had (combined) less problems than the original r-1 did. so, as you said before, we'll call this a tie. now, AS YOU CAN EASILY SEE, there is no way the r-1 is NOT a much better bike than the busa. if you are gonna score everything about these bikes, we'd be here to see if the y2k problem is really solved before we were done. the bottom line is this, they are two TOTALLY different bikes made for two TOTALLY different puposes. both shine in incredible ways for their respective purposes. so, when that busa blows by the r-1's in fe or endurance, don't be terribly upset. it's natural. that's what it was meant for. and when a busa blows by your r-1 right after you buy it, don't cry, you'll get over it. and when you are really dragging your knee and laying that r-1 over in the turns and suddenly you look in your mirror and there is that busa just smiling at you, remember, you'll get over it. the r-1 might be a bit better in the really tight stuff, but it will never disapear in front of a busa. now, before i finish this really breathy verse, let me just say that i am in no way bashing the r-1, i too agree that this is a phenomenal bike, i just hate to see people getting their panties in a bunch and dogging it just cuz of brand loyalty or cuz their feelings were hurt by one. so, just enjoy what you got and ride fun. by the way, didn't you say you had a xx? hmmmmm, now why would someone buy that bike? top speed maybe? hmmmmm, not by what you were saying before. besides, we ALL know that bike wasn't MEANT to handle. so, yes, you are right, trade that thing in and get an r-1. glad to hear your not getting a busa, cuz i'd hate to think that suzuki had actually converted someone as silly as you. have a nice day.
mike

Where did this guy come from? If he knew how to run the corners it doesn't matter. I've outrun a few R1s in the corners with my XX. Might have something to do with the fact I roadrace but I digress. I also want to know why this yo-yo wants to slow down since the XX will beat the R1 in every dragrace I have been in or seen the two bikes going head-to-head. It just isn't the giant killer the owners think it is. A lot of it has to do with the fact I seem to be the youngest owner on an XX (30) so I can see how these guys are whipping on 50 year olds that probably didn't even try. At least the majority of you 1300 owners have class enough to not go ballistic on everything.

Who cares?...not I. Please do tell us where you ride your bike at 194 mph and do so without endangering your life and the lives of others?

I'm anxoiusly awaiting the bit about bikes catching up to cars. The bus's aerodynamics are good, but it still doesn't generate downforce. Lowering drag coefficients is one thing, but car performance didn't really take off until we figured out how to reduce lift. Only downforce generating aerodynamics create the traction to pull 3 to 4 G's lateral accelleration that cars have done since the 70's.

I know that cars versus bikes is a whole other debate, but this one factor is what keeps bike lap times so far above that of race cars.

As a current R1 owner and prospective Hayabusa purchaser, I tried to keep an objective view relating to this post. In fact, I even responded on the R1 Forum to this post that any kind of drag race against a Hayabusa from anywhere near a standstill is going to be a losing cause.

I'm just as disgusted by the Hayabusa bashing by R1 owners as certain Hayabusa owners bashing R1's. Here's my objective viewpoint on 2 bikes that I am thoroughly impressed with:

It's not the bike, it's the rider. These bikes both have performance potential WAY beyond what any of us mere mortals can extract. Top speed, are you kidding,.....no contest, Hayabusa every time. The R1 won't go faster than low 170's anyway. 1/4 mile, no contest......Hayabusa every time. Weight, wheelbase, ride height, etc. make this a no brainer. My 150 rear wheel hp R1 still isn't into the 9's, won't launch and stay on the ground. Handling, it's the rider......but I would say that the R1 has the POTENTIAL to be the better handling bike with a great rider. A good rider on a Hayabusa is going to eat up a mediocre rider on an R1 every time in the twisties. Looks, no contest.....gotta give that one to the sexy R1. Brakes, probably the R1.....it's much lighter and easier to haul down from high speeds. Reliability, who knows?.....the R1 had a couple teething problems that fortunately never showed up on my bike and we've heard a few teething problems with the Hayabusa engine. Look the fuel injection works quite well though.....time will tell on this one.

In conclusion, these are much different bikes for different market segments/riders. If you'll take a look at the R1 and Hayabusa registries, you'll see that the average R1 owner is in his mid-late 20's. The average Hayabusa owner is about 10-15 years older. The R1 is a great hooligan bike, great for corner carving, wheelies, and sexy to boot. The Hayabusa is the motorcycle equivelent to the Buick Grand National. Big, comfortable, powerful, and ready to stomp ass on anything in a straight line. I like 'em both. I'm right in the middle of the R1/Hayabusa age group so I need both.

yzf r1, i like your attitude. first of all, you have the same frame of mind that i do as far as these two bikes are concerned. secondly, you got one of the "good" r-1's. apparently i got one of the "good" busa's. still waiting on that one. lol anyway, we both rated both bikes identically. and, as i said in my post, (and you in yours) they are two different bikes, rider will make the difference in the corners. hell, it's a no brainer to go in a straight line. takes balls and a flexible wrist. busa wins hands down. but, the r-1 is an incredible bike. i wanted one but to be completely truthful, i am a stout suzuki man these days. several reasons for this, #1 and foremost: my dealer. ken's cycle center in highland springs va. ken and his staff, max=mr. magic with a motor, kevin=ex road racer and mechanic and jack of all trades, and even ken's wife, all treat me like gold. have for too many years for me to mention. i get the best service, the best pricing, (while i can sometimes buy at better pricing elsewhere, i go no where else) and the best FRIENDSHIP from this bunch of people. i've dealt with a number of shops in my time, no one, NO ONE has ever treated me with the respect and decency that these people have. if anyone is even remotely near the richmond va area, i stongly suggest you stop in and say hi, they will be friends for life. secondly, i have had three exellent examples of suzuki's best, all gsxr's. not a problem with a single one. all ran great, last beyond my expectations, (exept a highly modified 1216 cc motor but that's a long story, and besides, it's still kicking out mega power). don't get me wrong, i like all bikes, but i'm just stuck in the groove of a suzuki for these reasons. oh, i coulda bought the r-1, ken's woulda serviced me with a smile, but i am as loyal to them as they've been to me. whatever you ride, enjoy, keep it clean and maintained and for you r-1 owners, have you ever considered just keeping the mileage down and keeping it stock? i'm telling you, one day it will be a collector's bike. have fun people.
mike

Guess my point was he wanted a Busa and was trading in his R1 (the dealer did not take it due to the 2nd gear problem).

I'm not a bit biased when it comes to bikes, would love to have several (MV Agusta comes to mind). Don't think I would trade in a 1000 mile R1 for another one.

this thread to our web board is terrific
friendship
sharing of ideas
just what i wanted

both bikes would be terrific
that mv agusta too
i would die for an SB8R
but...
that's another story

greg

Had a guy come into the Suzuki shop wanting to trade his 1000 mile R1 in on a Hayabusa. It seems he had a 2nd gear problem (none) and was tired of having problems with the bike.

He now owns a Copper Busa.

I think most everyone here knows what causes 2nd gear to go out in a transmission. That's caused by rider abuse. I doubt that is a reflection on the bike.......although I can tell you that there have been a number of R1's that have had a clutch spring come apart and get into the transmission eating up a few gears. The R1 hasn't been perfect but it's been pretty darn good(mine's been perfect).

Here's a little Hayabusa info for you guys. We have one Hayabusa in town that is owned by a real nice older gentlemen who likes to go the drag strip. He was a bit disappointed with it's performance and complained of a mediocre midrange. After much diagnosis by his local Suzuki shop, the intake camshaft was found to be installed wrong, 1 camshaft gear tooth/chain link off. After the cams were degreed in correctly, it runs like a champ. Just something for you guys to keep in the back of your minds if you find a weak Hayabusa........

No2 why dont you go back to the nascar web, we are here for enjoying motorcycles. It is bad enough we end up bashing other brands of bikes at times, but is really in jest. Did you get here from a K&N link or what. Cars, who cares?

I have been a member of the R1 forum that this post originated from. Here are my $.02 worth.
Most of the guys that have R1's loved it when their bike was the most talked about sportbike (don't we all). Now the Hayabusa comes along and it's on every bike magazine cover in the world! When you spend over 10 grand and buy "the baddest bike in the land" it's hard to accept that your now yesterdays news. I personally own a 99 Kawasaki 9R. I love it. But I know it ain't no 190 MPH ride... Hell, it won't do 180. A buddy of mine is getting his Black / Silver Hayabusa any day now. Just waiting for the dealer to get it in. I think that the Busa is great for all of motorcycling!! It edges the bar up and makes the other bike makers take notice. Sport Bike technology trickles down. Seen any of the new breed 600's lately? In the next few years the Hayabusa will be known as the bike that started a new revolution. Remember the Honda 750 Four, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki GS1100, Yamaha V Max? The Hayabusa is the benchmark all the others will be shooting for in the next few years. Kawasaki has the ZX12 in the works for 2000. Come out with a new high end sportbike that is less than the Busa and the mags will say "What a great bike...But it ain't no Busa". I can't wait for my buddy to get his. I want to ride one and see what all the rage is.
Nailz
PS The shop we buy from (my friends and I), is a Kawi, Suzi, and Yami shop. The Owners son has ridden every sportbike made by each over the past 20 or so years... In his words "That F@#$~n' Busa is the fastest bike I've ever ridden in my life!!!" This from a guy who has been riding for 25 years, has raced for 20 years, and is one of the best riders I know. He has no reason to BS anyone. He didn't even have a Busa for sale when I talked to him about it. Just the FACTS.

R1 vs Busa. Well, I had an R1 last year and a Busa this. On the bumpy roads of Britain I reckon the Busa is going to get you where you're going quicker. The extra weight and slightly less radical steering make it more stable. The R1 will twitch and wheelie at the slightest hint and that flightiness, while a genuine advantage on smoother tarmac, will twist it into knots on a country, bumpy corner-laden road. Both have plenty enough torque for drive out of corners.
The bike publication I work for put a Hayabusa vs an R1 on a fast track – Snetterton in the UK. The tester was terrified on the Hayabusa. Pushing it really hard makes it a real handful because of its weight and emphasis on stability, for all that top speed.
But for me, and many of our testers, the Hayabusa is THE bike for the road.
But don't get too hung up on the top speed. It's a bit useless in most conditions. It's all about the drive and ridabilty combined with a decent standard of handling.
No, this bike will not outhandle an R1, and because of that the R1 will beat it on a track, but on the road, I'll take the Abusa thanks.
I reckon it would beat most full on sports bikes round a track like Snetterton, including a CBR900 FireBlade, though maybe not a GSX-R750.
It's far superior in handling and performance terms to the the XX or ZZ-R and that's how it should be measured, not against the R1.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon about my R1 being perfect so far. I guess my post was the kiss of death. My R1 shattered it's cush drive hub over the weekend. This has been a common problem on 98 R1's and has been fixed on the 99's.

Back