Hayabusa touring vs R1 touring

OB_Utah Rider

Registered
I'm considering getting a Hayabusa to replace my YZF-R1. I really enjoy riding my YZF-R1, but would like to go on some long rides this summer and I'm not sure my wrists will survive on the R1. I don't like giving up the speed and fun factor of the R1 so the Hayabusa seems like a good replacement. Does anyone have comments on the Hayabusa (or other sport tourer/cruiser) as a touring/cruising bike (as well as a daily ride) compared to the R1? I'm more concerned with acceleration, comfort, and handling differences than wheelies or top speed.

Thanks in advance,

Utah Rider

I've got both an R1 and a Hayabusa, I find the R1 comfortable for touring only at lower speeds (85 or below) anything above that the windblast gets too severe, also there is no protection from the rain, I don't have a problem with wrist ache.

The Bus is obviously more comforable at higher cruising speeds, it actually feels slower than the R1 due to better wind protection and the taller gearing taking the sting out of roll ons, and the real plus point, your feet stay dry in a shower!

As for handling, one up, obviously, the R1 is king but two up the Bus will show an R1 a clean pair of tyres - no problem. Two up the R1 understeers badly and is generally unstable and hard work.

I find the R1 easier to ride fast in the wet, it has better quality suspention, far better fueling and less weight conspiring against it, saying that the Bus is by no means bad, the only downers in the wet on the R1 is it's dangerous two up (understeer becomes terminal!) and it suffers from terrible brake lag (cured by a set of Carbon Lorraine SBK3 pads.)

I've found the brakes on the Bus to be inadequate - even one up, no such complaints on the R1 (in the dry) the tank range on the R1 is a good 30 miles less than the Bus.

I may have found the brakes on the Bus to be Ok had I not ever ridden a ThunderAce or R1, since then everything else is pants in the retardation department!

Acceleration is great because it is smooth in delivery and the torque in unlike any other bike - great for cross country trips.
Comfort is great due to the longer wheelbase, footpeg to seat to handlebar placement does not overload the riders wrists. The fairing and windshield offer better protection. The stock tires provide good bump absorption.
Handling is superb for a sport tourer, in fact for street/mountain touring this bike will hang with a R1: Some fellow on a R1 was trying to leave me behind on the road that crosses over Blood Mountain in northern Georgia, We were both wearing our roadrace leathers and running at a pace that allowed room for error, he ground some footpegs at a few points and my Hayabusa kicked the rear tire out one time because it overheated. The R1 will outrun a Hayabusa on a mountain road but he will be going all out to do it, which for cross country trips you won't risk that type of aggressive riding.
The Hayabusa is a better all around sportbike not racebike like the R1.

400 mile days are a snap, on a trip I just stop for gas and lunch. Average everyday cruising speed 100+ whether a short commute or a long trip.

Best bike in the rain is a BMW twin, hands down.

Danger Mouse had it pretty much on the head. I have both bikes, also. I would just add to the 2 up info: Bike and suspension are heavier, so passenger isn't as much a penalty, on Busa. I can take a faster corner, 2 up, with Busa, than I could with my R-1 (with passenger). Horsepower compensates well, as more than one solo rider has found out, on a straight throttle roll on. Bike more comfortable for passenger. Doesn't have to work as hard for speed.

[This message has been edited by c.dolan (edited 19 January 2000).]

Hapo says for a Sport Touring bike get the Busa or a Honda VFR800fi, the bike I "should" be riding...any other bikes are steps away from what you want, in my opinion, with the possible exception of the Black Bird...although the BMW is cool, these bikes will spank it...and the Triumpth? $ for what?

Hapo, on your comment on VFR, XX and busa, I've had both hondas and have a '00 busa now. Forget about the VFR, unless you are OK with scooter performance. If the busa is a sport tourer, the VFR is mickey-mouse sport tourer, more comfortable? yes. The XX is much closer, but believe it or not, more uncomfortable than the busa (I bought it before the busa came out, and because it feels good on the showroom), and ugly. If you are fit, the busa has no substitute. And it encourages me to stay fit.
JC

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It was a hard choice, but I traded in the R1 for a new 2000 Red and Grey Busa today! Riding the bike home was a real pleasure, even at break in speeds. :^) You're comments were right on. The Busa has a more solid feel. I love it's deeper growl, too. I'm confident that the Busa will match my riding style and needs a little better than the R1. Now I just need to know the insider tips on how to train and setup my new Busa properly. :^)

Thanks again,

Utah Rider

I always thought the R1 was underated on rider comfort and overated on handling. I found it comfortable for 300-400 mile rides, and, with the addition of Helibars, it was tolerable in stop and go traffic. Lack of wind protection was the biggest annoyance.
However, I like the busa much better because it has a nice stable feel that I didn't get with the R1. I think the busa is much more predictable in any situation that the R1, and that makes long rides easier.(I did put a steering damper on the R1 - it took care of the extreme quirkiness.)
The wind protection on the busa is not great but it is a little better than the R1.

...hey, what can I say? I bought a Busa too...liked the TL1000R better than the VFR anyway...but Hapo has arms like monkey, and has found that big HP can help you hang with the best if you tread lightly...the Busa feels like a big fast boat...I think any other choice be inferior, but who am I to criticize those mild types that like to ride them little girlie bikes...some of them fags are probably faster than some of you bravos anyway, no matter what type of bike your egos require this year...

Utah, you made the right choice. Sold my 99 R1 this summer and picked up the Blue and Silver 00 Busa, just before Christmas. Stock, it beats the R1 in comfort hands down. Just installed Heli Bars, looks like a big improvement. Waiting on the weather for a riding test. Good luck.

Back