Busa vs. R1 in twisties

OB_Mr. Aheelk

Registered
Gentlemen,
I'm fairly new to this group and though I won't have by new 00 Busa until it arrives here in L.A. (2 more days they keep telling me, since last week), I feel like I'm under attack just for wanting one. Today at work this guy came to our office and noticed the picture of a Busa on my computer. He's never heard of the Busa, and asks if it's anything like the R1 - his friend just bought one. I tell him about top speed, launch, etc., that the Busa will blow his friends Yam away. So he just has to get his friend on his nextel phone (they're co-workers) and tell him what I just said. So this friend of his goes OFF like he hates the Busa and all who would dare ride one and starts off on a trip about kicking my *** in the canyons and bla bla bla. Says I'm crazy, must be an ego problem, you get the idea. Geeez, will I always get this kind of heat? I'm not much into the whole my dik's bigger than your's thing, but I really can't wait to take him out to Angeles Crest and spank him. Damn, don't even own the bike yet and I'm getting roped into some sort of teenage testosterone thing! Anyone play with an R1? Give me a reason to gloat...

I am the proud owner of a 00 busa. I ride with 3 R-1'S. The R1 will rip you a new one in the twisties. (riders equal of course). The Busa is a great bike and I would not trade mine for anything on the market right now, but it is no match for the R1 when it comes to canyon carving. Now, put them on a road with long high speed sweepers and bye bye R1!

i was coming home from the races last week and was just cruising at about 80mph up ahead are about 7 sportbikes i notice there is a R1 doing a wheelie with the other bikes hanging back well i was in my own lane and just went past them well it seems like the R1 wanted a peice of me as we went around a sweeper on the expressway i cruised out in the middle lane well the R1 wants a peice of the busa as i hear him clickin down gears i proceeded to go to second gear, rpm about 7000 i then turned on my holeshot 3 and waited well needless to say that R1 got spanked by the time i was in fourth i was wayyyy ahead as far as cornering. alot goes in to your ability to ride the twisties

Yes, ability will be the question. I've always been a canyon rider (8 years) on top of 500's or 600's. I rode an 1100GSXR years ago but only on the street. Think I'll take a racing course on the Busa to get used to the size.

Give the R1 it's dues in the twisties(assuming all else is equal).EVERYTHING ELSE is owned by the 'BUSA.Sweepers,staights,light to light,long hauls,yadda,yadda,yadda.
Sounds like the guy had an inferiority complex to me.
I almost bought an R1,but the 'Busa came out and seemed to be a better all around bike.
As for all the "My d*** is bigger than yours" stuff;Just look at them and smile.
Maturity bring discretion.Just because you have something,doesn't mean you have to "show " it to everyone.If I wasted my time with all the hopped up 750's and 900's(not to mention "muscle cars")that "challenge" me I wouldn't be able to just enjoy the ride.
This is the best bike I have owned.I have owned the best of the eras GS's,Magnas,Hurricanes,GSXR's.
Be cool and enjoy the ride .YOU have NOTHING to prove if you have a 'BUSA.
B21

[This message has been edited by BUSA00021 (edited 18 July 2000).]

It can be made to hang with R1's but your gonna have to break out the check book. You can take 50lbs off the bike for under 3,000.00 and dramatically transform the bike. You'll need lightweight wheels and a full ti exhaust as well as a host of other weight shedding techniques but its well worth it. Truthfully, its all about the rider but set up right the busa is a monster in the twisties, arguably the most stable chassis at the limit ever on a sportbike. If its an R1 fighter your trying to create, start ordering the parts now so when the bike comes in you can get busy.

I have to say that I agreee with you guys, and would not be in any way insulted by people after buying a Busa.I own a 2000 blue and silver and it is really a top of the line bike, and gets a lot of people all up in arms with their little head trips.My last bike was a bad *** Kawi 1100 fuel injected GPZ... with some mods.It did well in all aspects especially cornering...and I wish I had it still. It seems that people have different ideas of what a good bike is and to some, the Busa is a little too much. I do not think I can keep up in the twisties as well as I would like but I make up for it when I show it off.... It is a large bike, looks cool, and it has a great ride, Suzuki did a great job with the design and it is in a class by itself.It has lots of class and is able to really power off at any speed -is built to go fast!.The R1 is more of a race replica and so is suited to cornering well, but is hard to knock as it too is a great bike. You need to decide what you need in your bike. I think the Busa is a collector type of bike. It is special in that it has much more power than you have ever seen in a street bike, along with it's many other arributes that make it unique.
It looks like it came from a wind tunnel..(duh) .. and well, you just gotta ride one to see how it works .
I went to the local hangout for the sunset tonight and have to admit that I see people look at the Busa with some kind of predjudice as it is not able to "turn twisties" as easily as their 900s do, so they say, and well, I just have to let them say what they say. I love to see the looks on their faces however when they hear the big Busa engine start, and they see the difference. It sounds BIG.I guess we have a learning curve here. There is one 00 Busa up here at the dealer still, a maroon one, if anybody is looking...
Good luck with yours.

Most R1 riders know that a lighter bike means easier corners. But that bikes rider also knows that it will get eat'n in the straights and at the take off. If you ever go to a track you will see the 600's and a couple of honda 400's leading in the turns, but VERY EASY to catch them in the straights. And depending on where the finish is and you r ability as a rider, you might want to except that challenge.

I rail with mine 1.5" down front and rear. I try to stay in the same zip code until a straight or even a really high speed sweeper, and then I simply dial them back in with my right wrist. If there are no corners, it is downright embarrassing. There is simply no place for them to hide. Buy the Mach 2 video. I get the finger a lot from guys on R1s and other full sized bikes when they are topped out and I pass them doing 20mph faster. The fastest bike I've ever seen (other than my Bus) was my regular riding buddy, drafting me.

R1 riders always have an ego thing goin on when it comes to twisties.

The R1 is a point an shoot bike. You run it fairly quick through the corners wait till you have it done with the corner and wack it open. They inhale most other bikes on the track this way.

They are not the handling machines their riders want to think they are.

If you want to corner try a 125. You can carry more cornering speed than any other bike out there. You just don't have enough power to make up for mistakes. Its funny to see a 125 pass the R1 in the corners and take a few straights to cstch them (remember this is 8 times the engine size).

-Dana

In my opinion, if you can beat an R1 with your Busa on a twisty road, you can beat that same R1 worse... riding your own R1.

I mean let's be honest here.

Not much negative can be said about an R1 other than a few too many recalls in the first two years, and a somewhat uncompromising riding.

And here is a little R1 story. I was riding down a country road one day overtaking another bike. I looked in my rear view mirror to see another bike rapidly approaching. I figured it was a Gixxer 750 and decided to take off. We drove 4-5 miles at a very fine clip. He was closing on me pretty good in the corners. I was pulling him on the straights. We finally got to the last straight (with him right on my license plate) and I said SEE YA. I pulled ahead and then backed off a while later. As he came cruising by I saw a blue Yamaha. I though to myself... heh, heh, heh I just beat an R1. But, it was a piped R6!!!

Anyways, I am pretty sure that the guy could have passed me had he wanted to. And if the road had been twistier he would have smoked me. Of course, I'm not that fast myself.

R1/R6, on a twisty road, you are in trouble trying to compete on a Busa.

Omega knows the score...under full race conditions, the Busa would be hard pressed to keep tyers on, but on any road, a well set up Busa is in a whole different class than the R1 in it's present form...over 130mph it is no longer even a contest...the Busa is not a "race bike" any more than a Lambo Diablo is a "race car"...

Mr Aheelk
I will tell you only what I know. I will not own a Horny Rhino 1300 until saturday so I cannot comment on the 'busa against an R1. This, I do know. I run (God bless her little cottons) an FZR1000 Exup R. 1990 to be precise. Now over here R1's are like arseholes. Everyone has one. Not everyone has the formidable concentration and stamina needed to make 'a point' on an R1. The R1 is a superlative machine but I have found that superlative riders are far less common. I spent a lot of time getting to know the exup and I have never been passed by any fashion victim on an R1. My cousin followed me on his R1 at around 160 and complained that while my fat old T-Rexup seemed happy to sit rock solid up ahead with me in a semi-crouch he was squeezed behind the fairing trying to stop his flighty little sod from jumping from lane to lane. I think 'busa owners are just Exup riders in the 21st century. Use your busa's strong points to nail R1/Blade riders on their/their machines weaknesses. Accept that one day there will be an R1 rider who you simply cannot stay with. It does work both ways. But, judging by the things I witness every day of my riding life there are a hell of a lot more R1 riders who have bought the image than 'busa riders. And heres a thought for you. As mentioned above I run the T-rexup (until saturday). I never have felt intimidated by an R1 and the red mist always descends. Bends or no bends.
I have crossed very few Horny Rhinos and when I did I behaved myself...bend or no bend.
Thats the awsome effect of a 'busa
I am looking forward to mine and learning to finding my limits. You should too.
Dont worry about the R1 cos its like the Great White worrying about ramoras. Creatures of lesser taste will always feed off fearsome individuality.

[This message has been edited by Mr Lucky (edited 19 July 2000).]

good point busa00021! it is hard to hold back though when f heads wanna race! within any given day you are most "likely" gonna beat any bike on the road. given their are extremely fast turboed 900's etc. but the chances of you running into them are not that good.AT least most of you "older" busa owners dont have to put up with some of the bullsht as much as me and the younger guys. I get stuck talkin to these dumbazzes that dont even know what diff. models of bikes are produced and claim the R1 is the best!Some of these fkers start ramblin tryin to tell me a busa will beat an R1 in the twisties but lose in a straight line! i just get pissed and walk away.Long story short i only race kids for money now. i know what i can beat and cant. Mainly its all the "Tuned" monster 900s that try to race. They dont even see my tailight!hahaahahah

The R1 vs the Busa in the twisties is no match if you have equal riders, but rarely do you find equal riders.

I ride with some R1 dudes that I'll absolutely smoke on the twisties with my BUSA. I purposely take them on back roads just to show them how slow they are. It makes them sick.

In the real world you've got "Ruff Riders" at one extreme and you've got "Posers" at the other. I'm not what I would characterize as a "Ruff Rider", but I'm no where near being a "Poser".

We BUSA riders have got to make them hyper sport bike riders recognize that the BUSA can turn pretty damn good in addition to running 190mph. I know I'm holding up my end of the bargain.

Look at power to weight....R1's hit the scale at about 430 full of fuel, add a 175 pound rider and figure 130 at the rear wheel stock....4.65 pounds per horsepower.

Busa's are 545 with a full tank, same 175 pound rider and figure 156 rear wheel stock...4.62 pounds per horsepower.

There's no hands down advantage realistically. The R1 off a light is a sitting duck most of the time....it wants to instantly flip over on it's tank...in 2nd gear too. The Busa's weight and wheelbase are the advantage.

Handling...unless you get a novice or inept squid on the R1, the Busa is going to be eaten alive on any twisties, sweepers, etc. With equal riders, don't bother grinding away your lower fairings and engine cases trying to keep up with an R1, GSXR, Duc 996 or other world class sportbike.. I tried it at Grattan Raceway...it doesn't work!

Jim

I have an R1 and it's like comparing apples and oranges. They're both incomparable in their own way and if you're able to have one of each, you've got the best of both worlds.

Is that diplomatic enough?

You'll get the R1 light for light if the stock clutch was replaced. I ran a R1 light for light ate it good,now for the twisties I'd tell the guy I'd have to use the little brother GSXR 750 2000 model to even out the score in the twisties.If you are a good counter steering type of guy the Hayabusa will eat the twisties good but you will need alot of practice. Good Luck

Back