Busa or M109r

I have both my friend and I must say they are worlds apart. I love my Gen 2 far more than the M, but get a lot more compliments on the cruiser. I have to really be in the mood to jump on the Boulevard because its slow, heavy, ponderous, and sexy as hell...lol. The shaft drive is not my cup of tea, since the rear end rises when you give it gas, the shifting is clunky from 1st to 2nd and the trans is a bit finnicky. I bought it because the deal was too good to pass up, otherwise it just sits there looking pretty...or if a chick with a really big azz can't fit on the others then I pull out Shinobi.

IMG_0128.jpg

Saw a M109r for the 1st time about a month ago...and told myself I'd own one some day. I agree with all the people that say "both" :laugh:

Grand Canyon 042.jpg

I'm BACK!!! LOL

So, I miss the Busa!!! I ended up selling my M109 and I'm back in the market for a Busa. Preferably the 2008 Orange and Black. If you folx see one for a good price, let me know.

Have both 2006 M109 and 2009 busa love them both 2 very different bikes

I agree. Both are great and I fully intend on purchasing another 9 down the road. I would recommend it to anyone looking to get off sport bikes and into cruisers. :beerchug:

and i dont like anything shaft driven, to much stuff goin on back there that i dont know to much about and im sure that is way expensive to fix and replace if anything does go wrong

Screw that - the new Ducati Diavel is the bike to get, supposedly faster out of the hole then the 1198 AND can handle. Welcome back though :beerchug:

Hope I don't get the hangman's noose here, but surf M109 forum and see the mechanical problems on this bike. These bikes are produced mainly for the American market in very small numbers, so they are not investing much new R&D to improve. Anyone here has 100,000 miles on a M109?

For me, sport-bikes no one touches the Japanese, with the Italians close behind and BMW arriving new to the party, but soon 2012 to be taught a lesson.

Cruisers, everyone tries to copy Harley, but they don't come close, sales numbers tell the story.

If you want a cruiser for what it was not intended to do, but you still want speed and power, here is a comparison between the M109 and the V-Rod, courtesy of MCN.

Here are some STOCK specs for you to compare.... straight outta the Motorcycle Consumer News magazine...

MEASURED TOP SPEED
V-Rod: 137mph
M109: 128mph

0 - 1/4 MILE
V-Rod: 11.38sec
M109: 11.62sec

0-60MPH
V-Rod: 3.52sec
M109: 3.65sec

0-100MPH
V-Rod: 8.22sec
M109: 8.87sec

POWER TO WEIGHT
V-Rod: 1:5.99
M109: 1:7.26

BRAKING 60-0 MPH (FEET)
V-Rod: 109.5
M109: 135.4

A little off topic, but from someone who has vested a lot of time in both worlds (sports vs cruisers) here are some general observations that may inform your decision. Sports are fast, cruisers are not. Sports handle twisties better, cruisers are ponderous and touch down. If you are hopelessly devoted to speed - cruisers will never cut it. When talking power with respect to cruisers your talking torque, power to haul gear, power to limit gear searching, power to carry two up etc. Nothing about any cruiser I've every owned has screamed go faster, turn harder it's just not the nature of the beast. In fact, the thing most sporters don't understand which Harley riders get... Is that a cruiser talks to your soul in a different way - it wispers enjoy the ride, take in the scenery, feel the air on your face, get comfy, throw a leg up stay a while, it says you really need a cup holder for a mug of coffee... Nothing about my Harley challenges me to go faster or turn harder! My current B-King and my gen I busa are always in my face screaming go faster, push - those bikes are in an eternal battle with the intellectual side of my being which says your going to kill yourself, you have a kid and wife, slow down dummy... My B-king called me a douche for even thinking about installing a cup holder!

The point is - the decision your probably making is more about what you want out of riding. Don't buy a cruisers because it's fast. It's not! If it's about speed, sports are the choice and cruisers won't do. If that little voice in your head is saying slow down enjoy the ride, speed isn't the reason we need to ride then a cruiser is your choice and find the cruiser that best matches that ideal. Probably not the M109. If you can recognize and find happiness in both ends of the spectrum - sports and cruisers can find a happy home in your garage.

PS - save the stories about the one off fire breathing Harley that does high 7's or low 8 quarters they don't exist in the wild... only at the track...

09 Harley Softail Deluxe
08 B-King
09 GSXR 750
09 C 50

A little off topic, but from someone who has vested a lot of time in both worlds (sports vs cruisers) here are some general observations that may inform your decision. Sports are fast, cruisers are not. Sports handle twisties better, cruisers are ponderous and touch down. If you are hopelessly devoted to speed - cruisers will never cut it. When talking power with respect to cruisers your talking torque, power to haul gear, power to limit gear searching, power to carry two up etc. Nothing about any cruiser I've every owned has screamed go faster, turn harder it's just not the nature of the beast. In fact, the thing most sporters don't understand which Harley riders get... Is that a cruiser talks to your soul in a different way - it wispers enjoy the ride, take in the scenery, feel the air on your face, get comfy, throw a leg up stay a while, it says you really need a cup holder for a mug of coffee... Nothing about my Harley challenges me to go faster or turn harder! My current B-King and my gen I busa are always in my face screaming go faster, push - those bikes are in an eternal battle with the intellectual side of my being which says your going to kill yourself, you have a kid and wife, slow down dummy... My B-king called me a douche for even thinking about installing a cup holder!

The point is - the decision your probably making is more about what you want out of riding. Don't buy a cruisers because it's fast. It's not! If it's about speed, sports are the choice and cruisers won't do. If that little voice in your head is saying slow down enjoy the ride, speed isn't the reason we need to ride then a cruiser is your choice and find the cruiser that best matches that ideal. Probably not the M109. If you can recognize and find happiness in both ends of the spectrum - sports and cruisers can find a happy home in your garage.

There is a LOT of truth in this statement. Except all that Harley crap! :laugh:

I've owned an M109R and I do miss it. I will have another one. To ADD to the stable. The Busa is here to stay.
The 9 was a CRUISER, and that only. I loved it, and so did everyone else. I got more looks and compliments on my 9 than I did on ANY other bike I've EVER owned. Loved the bike. Hated the clunky shifting and shaft drive. But those aren't enough to warrant not getting one. :thumbsup:
100_0698.jpg

100_0698.jpg

No disrespect for the 109 or any bike for that matter. But, I never found that the 109 embodies the things I most like in a cruiser. I tend to judge bikes I own mostly on what they do... not their looks. But, I appreciate a bike that has great lines but I probably won't buy it unless it meets some riding need. I don't own any bar bikes or garage trophies, the only bikes I own are for recreation. To be ridden alot!

I have both bikes. I'm 6'6" and around 240.

The 9 is not a twisties bike. You can scrape pegs super easy. It is a GREAT cruiser but has its quirks.

The Busa is faster in every category you want to place them side by side in. The 9 is fast for a cruiser no doubt about it, but it ain't anywhere near Hayabusa fast.

It will cruise 90 like it's idling.

I can do miles on both bikes. I'd give the 9 the edge in comfort and ergos when it comes to cruising.

The 9 gets as much attention as the Busa and the styling is one of the main reasons its in my garage. The chrome they went with is great and you can add more.

Of the 2 I like my Busa best. If I had to give up one, it would be the 9.

The 9 actually is bringing higher used prices than the same year Busas.

I have an 0o9 Busa and an 08 C109RT(same bike with bags and crap and a little less power). I love the looks of the M109 and I also like the driveshaft, much better than a belt and a little better than a chain just due to maintenance issues even though I prefer a chain on the Busa due to strength and cost to repair. The 109 rides smooth and can stay on it for a long time before getting a sore butt and it gets about the same mileage the Busa gets(40 MPG). The torque down low is fun to and has a nice rumble to the exhaust, I drilled holes in the end caps to make it sound like it should for free.

Good luck on finding your 08. As I feared :( though the 109 is a great bike and a wonderful addition to any stable. If you can only have 1 it has to be a Busa :poke:

Nothing can keep a smile on your face like riding a Busa. A quick flick of the wrist if only for a few moments or gears can leave a smile on your face for hours or even days. Thats something the normal 109 can't do. The Busa can do it all cruise the boulevard, long distance touring, drag racing,LSR or tear the crap out any road course. 109 just can't do it like that.

Good Hunting for your Busa :beerchug:

Good luck on finding your 08. As I feared :( though the 109 is a great bike and a wonderful addition to any stable. If you can only have 1 it has to be a Busa :poke:

Nothing can keep a smile on your face like riding a Busa. A quick flick of the wrist if only for a few moments or gears can leave a smile on your face for hours or even days. Thats something the normal 109 can't do. The Busa can do it all cruise the boulevard, long distance touring, drag racing,LSR or tear the crap out any road course. 109 just can't do it like that.

Good Hunting for your Busa :beerchug:

Just saw the 2011 Black and Red busa, dag she's sweet!! Now I'm thinking about taking the money I have for the 08 and using it as a nice down payment on the 2011. Figured I would only be paying a couple hunderd in interest with the 1.99% financing.

Can't wait for spring!!

Back