Busa vs. hi m109r

XRavenX

Registered
Hi Ya'll. I am considering my next motorcycle purchase and I am stuck between these too bikes. I love the way the 2005 Red Hayabusa looks. I also love the way the M109r looks. So i am weighing in on everything to figure out which bike to ride. I have 3.5 years of Street Motorcycle experience under my belt. My last bike was a 2001 CBR600F4i. It was a powerhouse but i always rode safe and sound. Never laid it down once and no tickets. So the powerful nature of both bikes isn't too much of concern. Respect the bike and it will respect you.

So here is what i am pondering. I live in the city, Alexandria, VA. the best roads around me to take a quick trip on are all interstate highways or I can ride to Downtown and take the George Washington Parkway. Either way it is urban riding. I am a big guy (I work out & love to cook, a bad combination). I am 6'1" 250 on a good day. Inseam of 30-31 inches.

The M109r is a beast weighing in at 750 Lbs. wet. It has plenty of power though. The Hayabusa is a heavy weight of its own at aprox. 550 Lbs wet. Obviously powerful.

So which would be a better choice? (I understand you might be biased).

Also I am concerned about wrist pain. The one point that is going to sell me on which bike i buy is the wrist placement. I have had a few sporty bikes: Nighthawk 750 and Suzuki Katana 750. Both of them were fine bikes for comfort. My wrists never hurt. Only the occational shake down to get the gloves back off my fingertips. I have also had A CBR600 F4i. I tried every trick i knew. I installed Heli Bars, i loosened the straps on my gloves, i completely loosened my grip to a dangerous point, I was constantly in pain on my wrist. It is because of the position of my wrist on the bike. If I have to turn my wrist down and fingers up the bloodflow gets cut off and my hand goes painfully numb.

So my thinking is the M109r will not have the problem..... but what about the Busa? Do your wrists ever end up in that painful position with the bottom part below the handlebar and the middle part up higher? Sort of like an L shape? Did you try solutions like the Gen Mar or Heli Bar riser or even the LSL Handlebar kit?

thanks for any input.

Well, I am going to say this before someone else does. The majority of us worship the ground that our Busas are sitting on (w/a modded kickstand). The M109 is an awesome machine, but what it ultimately comes down to is if you asked a Busa owner which bike he would rather have he/she (PC) is going to say a Busa. An M109 owner is going to say an M109. It depends on why you are buying a bike. There are some people on here w/the $$$ to just buy both. IF I had that kind of $$ that is what I would do.

I vote for the Busa.

Oh yeah, I put 900 to 1000 miles a week on my Busa, all stock bars, seat and height.

Don

I know the wrist pain...it hurts me time to time...upperbody weigh is right on the wrists, no doubt...my next mod is prolly the heli bar or something...even though, my answer is still a busa...cuz, I just can't live without em...
biggrin.gif

Well I am asking both boards to get an opinion. I was surprised at how many former hayabusa riders there are at the other board. I wish I could just go TEST RIDE the bikes for about 2 hours. But no dealership will allow you to do that especially with the bikes I am talking about.

I am also wondering which is better for city riding. I think the 'Busa would be better at that due to the riding position and the amount of weight compared to the M109R.

I love the Busa, recently I was in the shop looking for accessories and wifey point towards this bike, surprised she paid any attention to a bike I liked it too, it was the M109
She loves the Busa too, just scared to ride it, I hate back seat driver  
She claims she wants it for herself, yes!!!  Who you think will benefit?   
M109RK7_Red_610008.jpg

M109RK7_aBlack_000000.jpg

I'm a pretty big guy as well. I commute from Woodbridge to DC everyday. I have had the opportunity to ride the M109R (Went with a friend to pick his up) I would choose the busa over the M109r everytime. Once you ride the busa, it's hard to ride anything else. Just like one of the posters said, if I had the cash, I would by the M109 as well. But the busa is No. 1 on the list!!

Funny you asked the question on a busa site... you should ask on a m 109r site too....
rock.gif
laugh.gif

M109R isnt exactly comfortable either. The seating position is too aggressive for a long distance tourer. Fantastic bike though...too many plastic bits.

I commute from Woodbridge to DC everyday.
What do you think about riding in the area? Have you had any problems around with Police, Squids, or theft?

Funny you asked the question on a busa site... you should ask on a m 109r site too....
rock.gif
laugh.gif

Funny you mention that because I did that first. I was definately going to get the M109R until i called for an insurance quote. I have had statefarm since I was 15.5 (8 years) and I got a great rate. They price bikes based on CC. Then, just for the hell of it, i called for the Busa, thinking I could NEVER get it insured the way I want for a decent price. It was a great quote too!! So IT IS THERE FAULT I AM iN THiS SITUATiON!!! I can get the bike I have wanted for several years but I don't have to auction of my future first born son to insure it.

Cheap plug: M109Riders

<!--EDIT|XRavenX
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150769647 -->

I bought my 109 in April and got my Busa in May. I think the are the two greatest bikes in the world. I have ridden them both from Panama City Beach, FL up to Montgomery, AL. It is just over 4 hours. At 6'1" 190 I was comfortable on both bikes. I tend to take 5 minute breaks around every hour to hour and 1/2.

I don't find the weight of the 109 to be a hinderance, to me it is a well balanced machine.

Which ever bike you choose, just enjoy the ride.

Kinda hard to give you an unbiased opinion without ever having ridden the M109. I can tell you that I do not find the Busa comfortable on long trips. Anything over 2 hours and my hands are so numb I can't feel them. I have Heli bars a Corbin saddle lowered pegs and poor sportbike posture. I know it's my fault but I'm just sharin all I can to help you make a good decision. I use my Road Sofa ( Harley Dresser ) for in town "grocery Getting"type activities and when i am going to a lot of different places picking up and dropping off stuff. I use the Busa at the drag strip and on weekend nights for cruising and illegal street racing ( May as well call a spade a spade!)
best of luck in your decision.

I can tell you that I do not find the Busa comfortable on long trips. Anything over 2 hours and my hands are so numb I can't feel them.
You said that you installed Helibars, a corbin, and relocated the pegs. What were you hoping to achieve? Were you trying to make it so your hand did not go numb or were you trying to make the bike better for long haul? Is it your throttle hand or your clutch hand that is numb?

I guess I should explain my riding style. Up here you have a few choices. You can ride on the streets and pretty much be in stop and go traffic light to traffic light mode. You can also ride on the highway 55+ (Actual speed is more like 70-75+). Lastly, if you can find them you can ride somewhere to actually go riding; IE: riding out to a country road. That takes anywhere from 30 to 45 minuets to do.

My concern is the M109r will be too heavy and too much to handle in the city. Once on the highway and country roads, I think it will be fine but to actually get there or to get anywhere in town it would be a pain. The thing that sucks is the majority of my riding will be in the city or at least in high traffic.

Also the majority of time will be spent on 30 mile 1 hour long rides. The 2+ hour trips are fairly rare for me. Though I have done it about 5 times in the past 3 years.

I commute from Woodbridge to DC everyday.
What do you think about riding in the area? Have you had any problems around with Police, Squids, or theft?

rock.gif
laugh.gif

Funny you mention that because I did that first. I was definately going to get the M109R until i called for an insurance quote.  I have had statefarm since I was 15.5 (8 years) and I got a great rate. They price bikes based on CC. Then, just for the hell of it, i called for the Busa, thinking I could NEVER get it insured the way I want for a decent price. It was a great quote too!! So IT IS THERE FAULT I AM iN THiS SITUATiON!!! I can get the bike I have wanted for several years but I don't have to auction of my future first born son to insure it.

Cheap plug: M109Riders
Police seem to be everywhere. They have not bothered me however. I do not give them any reason. Squids, yea they seem to be everywhere as well. There is a large number of stunters around. As far as driving in No. VA/DC/Metro I don't do it alot. I like to go out towards Mananass, Leesburg, Fredericksburg and ride the country. I go into DC for work but it is a straight shot up I95/I395 HOV..... Not to bad at all

Do you want a Poser with an occasional rush, or a Bad-ass Power Poser without even trying with an adrenaline pumping, heart stopping, time warping, tunnel vision ride of your life
tounge.gif

TT_002.jpg

I'd say do the Busa with a set of Heli-bars to eliminate any wrist discomfort and then get on with it. The M109 is powerful and fast for a cruiser, but not anywhere in the same league as the Busa. The Busa handles, goes fast, and over all is just a great all around street bike.

So, if you want a bike to hit the twisties on and ride all over creation get the Busa, if you just want curb looks and a decent cruiser to putter around on get the M109.

Do you want a Poser with an occasional rush, or a Bad-ass Power Poser without even trying with an adrenaline pumping, heart stopping, time warping, tunnel vision ride of your life
tounge.gif
How is that game? I wish they would bring something similar to Xbox 360. I am playing MotoGP right now but it isn't the same as being able to ride real street bikes. You "Virgin" shot is exactly the bike I want. I love the way it looks with that color setup.

<!--EDIT|XRavenX
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150820584 -->

I came from a Duc Monster to the Busa, and it's infinitely more comfortable (seat, bars, and a motor that won't shake you to death). For a sportsbike look, incredible, bullet-proof performance, and the ability to handle the highway with its heavier weight, this is the bike. Riding from Center City Philadelphia is essentially the same as leaving Alexandria--mostly highways. And that's why I bought the Busa. So it comes down to this: do you want the sportsbike-look, or the cruiser-look? I'd buy the Busa, and save the M109R for when you need the added comfort in your old age!

<!--EDIT|05 Busa LE
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150825814 -->

heli bars and 3/4reapers no wrist pain and I am 6'2" lets just say wish waist was 31 But it really depends on what you like I consider the 109 but love my busa

Back