m109r

"4wd, how did u manage to ruin a belt that is stronger than any bike chain?"

Simple:

First time it happened it happened, I had ridden on a wet to muddy gravel road, the belt Had, unbeknownst to me, grabbed enough wet gravel mud and carried it into the cogs of both drive and driven pulleys. When I got on pavement I succeeded in burning off the edges of the drive belt due to it riding high on the pulleys, not grabbing the lugs since they were full of gravel mud. Needless to say from then on I always washed out my pulleys after a slimy muddy ride.

It did not snap. I never did snap a belt.

Second time, I was riding on pavement after a wind storm had blown branches all over creation. I rode along picking the little ones and rode over top of them, one got caught in between the Roadstar belt guard and belt, rode a while with it wedged in there. When I stopped and looked I found the green branch half chewed thru, but it had chewed thru one belt chord and was going after the next on the belt edge where it was rubbing. I never tried riding again over little branches.

I was very anal about maintaining proper tension with the $40 gauge Yammy sold me as I feared someday I would snap a belt....never did happen in 12k miles...but not saying it couldn't happen.

I have had enough of belts. Gimme chain or shaft. I run gravel to get from home to pavement many times, and I have a long gravel driveway. Hell, the shoulders of highways are gravel. Gravel is everywhere.

I can say nothing else on the Road Star ever gave me any trouble. Just the belt. Good machine if they had a chain drive. Really a head turner at the gas stations. More factory chrome on it then Honda or even Harley. It looks sharp.

I just bought a 9 about a week ago the thing is awsome tons of power smooth on the highway and you can 150 if you fell the urge
SHOCKED.gif
but seriously it will spank a gsxr 600 through the first 3 gears
super.gif

(07blackBUSA @ Sep. 12 2007,19:49) have you guys seen the new victory vision
looks bad ass in person.

motorcycledaily.com/B]

Cocaine must be a helluva drug.
wow.gif

That bike is hideous, and looks like a crazed insect.
ices_rofl.gif

(4wd @ Sep. 15 2007,14:26) "4wd, how did u manage to ruin a belt that is stronger than any bike chain?"

Simple:

First time it happened it happened, I had ridden on a wet to muddy gravel road, the belt Had, unbeknownst to me, grabbed enough wet gravel mud and carried it into the cogs of both drive and driven pulleys. When I got on pavement I succeeded in burning off the edges of the drive belt due to it riding high on the pulleys, not grabbing the lugs since they were full of gravel mud. Needless to say from then on I always washed out my pulleys after a slimy muddy ride.

It did not snap. I never did snap a belt.

Second time, I was riding on pavement after a wind storm had blown branches all over creation. I rode along picking the little ones and rode over top of them, one got caught in between the Roadstar belt guard and belt, rode a while with it wedged in there. When I stopped and looked I found the green branch half chewed thru, but it had chewed thru one belt chord and was going after the next on the belt edge where it was rubbing. I never tried riding again over little branches.

I was very anal about maintaining proper tension with the $40 gauge Yammy sold me as I feared someday I would snap a belt....never did happen in 12k miles...but not saying it couldn't happen.

I have had enough of belts. Gimme chain or shaft. I run gravel to get from home to pavement many times, and I have a long gravel driveway. Hell, the shoulders of highways are gravel. Gravel is everywhere.

I can say nothing else on the Road Star ever gave me any trouble. Just the belt. Good machine if they had a chain drive. Really a head turner at the gas stations. More factory chrome on it then Honda or even Harley. It looks sharp.
You may be in the minority when it comes to living around gravel and twigs.

I've lived in many parts of the U.S. of A. and have never seen those conditions, unless I was in the sticks.
laugh.gif

So you should state "Don't own a M109R, if you live in the back forty.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I'm not the only one that has problems with belt drives building up crap in the pulley sheaves preventing the coggs of the V belt from doing their job...A few years back when it rained excessively during the Sturgis ralley and the camping grounds turned to mud, bikes had to be pushed in and out thru the mud to get in the camp areas. I remember reading where the Harley riders went thru hundreds of belts from mud packing in the pulleys causing the same problem with the belt coggs not grabbing in the pulley sheaves.

Anyway, most Metric cruisers are shaft or chain driven to eliminate any drive problems.

As far as living in the sticks, Maybe to a Californian I do. We do have section roads in Iowa (a gravel or blacktop road every mile), and we just got high speed internet service in some places, Yeah, I guess i do live in the sticks compared to someone living in the city, but ya know what, I never had any drive troubles with my chain driven Hayabusa or shaft driven Honda! I sold the big Honda, just never rode it again after buying the Busa.
Next spring, though, I may look at buying a M109 for a cruiser. If this Busa is any indication of Suzuki performance plus motor designs, That 9 might be king of the highway. Now if they just offered ABS and front impact Air Bag protection like the big gold wing-----?

I have been looking at Rune's but they are hard to come by and even the used ones cost more than any newer cruiser.

What's wrong with shaft drive. I think one would prefer shaft. Less maintance. Nothing to worry about. Belt drive, you gotta change it just like a chain. The only thing belt offers is that you don't have to lube it. On both you have to tighten it up. Shaft, you change the fluid every so often and that's it.

I thought about getting a M109, had a Roadstar didn't like the rough idle and the time it took to warm up. That bike should be FI by now but its not. The M109 has caught my eye but I don't know for sure yet.

Sportbikes, why aren't they belt drive or shaft drive. Shaft drive sportbike, whats wrong with that.
race.gif

Back