Brake Lever Inbreedng

Warchild

Banned
I was looking at the stock brake and clutch levers today, thinking to myself, "damn these look familiar.... where have I seen these levers before"?

Then it hits me: these look DAMN similar to my Yamaha FJR1300 levers. Only one bolt holds the lever, so I yanked the brake lever out, and compared it with my FJR1300 brake lever I had stashed in my bottom toolbox drawer.

I think there is some inbreeding going one between Suzuki and Yamaha.... check them out side by side... which is the Busa, and which is the FJR?
dunno.gif

busa_vs_fjr.jpg

Looks awfully, AWFULLY close to being identical, does it?
thumb_up.gif

The Busa lever is on the bottom, and the FJR lever above it.

So why was my FJR brake lever in my toolbox drawer? 'Cuz I had scored a set of aftermarket levers for the FJR last spring, and stashed the stock levers away.

You can see where this is going, right? :
biggrin.gif

If the brake levers are that similar, then perhaps - maybe - the FJR's after-market brake lever might fit on the Busa!

So......

Pazzo Racing titanium-anodized levers with black-anodized adjustment fittings!
ThumbsUp.gif

Rearshot.jpg

TopFront.jpg

Rearshot2.jpg

The clutch lever also bolts right up, but sadly, has a totally different receiver block, and thus will not operate properly. There is not enough "throw" remaining to actuate the clutch safety switch, therefore, starter no workee.
thumb_down.gif
Bummer.

The bike makers do buy brake parts from some of the same sources Tokico makes parts for cars/trucks/bikes Toyota is good for using 2 or more suppliers on the same year/model car..

The bike makers do buy brake parts from some of the same sources
Yep, I am aware they do; I was just being sarcastic with the "inbreeding" comment.

Truly, there are only two small differences between the FJR and Busa brake levers, both you can see in that first photo:

1) The Busa lever has a small break-away notch located ~ 1" or so inboard from the lever end.
2) The 5-point adjuster dial has small cosmetic differences.

Otherwise... they appear essentially identical.

How close is the clutch lever safety switch. You can mod it to move it about .150-.175". I modded mine to change the engagement point so I could use it for a launch light/2 step.

Nissin and Tokico are the two major brake suppliers for the japanese factories. If you look at the CRG or Pazzo sites, you can see which models share the same brake master cylinder or clutch perch or master cylinder. Yamaha has some brembo rear brake master cylinders here and there, and I would not be surprised if the sumitomo calipers on the R1 and FJR were made with some help from brembo.

BTW - the upper one is the FJR, the lower one is the Busa :-)

I was looking at the stock brake and clutch levers today, thinking to myself, "damn these look familiar.... where have I seen these levers before"?

Then it hits me: these look DAMN similar to my Yamaha FJR1300 levers. Only one bolt holds the lever, so I yanked the brake lever out, and compared it with my FJR1300 brake lever I had stashed in my bottom toolbox drawer.

I think there is some inbreeding going one between Suzuki and Yamaha.... check them out side by side... which is the Busa, and which is the FJR?
dunno.gif

busa_vs_fjr.jpg

Looks awfully, AWFULLY close to being identical, does it?
thumb_up.gif

The Busa lever is on the bottom, and the FJR lever above it.

So why was my FJR brake lever in my toolbox drawer? 'Cuz I had scored a set of aftermarket levers for the FJR last spring, and stashed the stock levers away.

You can see where this is going, right? :
biggrin.gif

If the brake levers are that similar, then perhaps - maybe - the FJR's after-market brake lever might fit on the Busa!

So......

Pazzo Racing titanium-anodized levers with black-anodized adjustment fittings!
ThumbsUp.gif

Rearshot.jpg

TopFront.jpg

Rearshot2.jpg

The clutch lever also bolts right up, but sadly, has a totally different receiver block, and thus will not operate properly. There is not enough "throw" remaining to actuate the clutch safety switch, therefore, starter no workee.
thumb_down.gif
Bummer.
Just remember that Nissin I think it is makes brakes for all sorts of Japanese brands.

Kind of like Brembo so it's that they were made in the same plant just a couple of years apart.

Levers look good too. I'll be getting some for the Griso as soon as I get a few other things bolted on.

Back