Are Motorcyclist A Dying Breed?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I was watching a motovlog this morning that claims millennials are ruining motorcycling. His contention is that because millennials are sitting in Starbucks texting, they don't appreciate the road or the call to it. I think there is a lot of truth to this. I'll try to not be offensive but millennials just don't seem to value mechanical things, being outdoors or the DIY spirit that is an essential part of the sport of motorcycling.

But there are bigger threats to our sport than just a shrinking audience. I was reading an article that said completely autonomous cars are only 5 years away. The author postulates that young people won't even bother to learn to drive in 8 years because the car will do that for them. Even worse, people may not even bother to own transportation. All travel will be Uber-like. Just call a car on your phone and one will come for you, no driver, waiting for your command.

Imagine Ford, GM and Honda produce and run linked, autonomous transportation modules. They rent them to passengers by the ride through automatic billing through your phone. These transportation modules would move at 100+ miles an hour on main routes and will de-link from the high speed trains to slow down for your stop. Gone will be traffic, accidents, and all this will be electric powered. This will be undoubtedly more efficient but what we will lose is the personal connection to getting from place to place. Why own a car is a computer is going to drive it?

Once autonomous vehicles become ubiquitous, human piloted vehicles will be dangerous. Automated vehicles will be moving in a perfectly choreographed, crash-free dance at some very high speeds (100 mph, more at times). Imagine mixing human piloted vehicles in that chaos? Yes, autonomous vehicles could be equally skilled at avoiding vehicles not a part of the "whole", but more likely we'll see human piloted cars relegated to specific less traveled roads and eventually to "driven vehicle reserves".

Sound like science fiction? I was talking to a friend and he said: "It will take them years just to develop the technology for all that stuff, I don't see any of that happening and time soon." What people don't realize is this has been happening for 25+ years. Microsoft, Google & Apple all have functional autonomous vehicle prototypes. Virginia Tech has been running autonomous vehicles around Blacksburg, VA for years, and state legislatures around the country are changing laws to allow driverless cars.

If the technology exists and it's more efficient, greener, and safer, what's holding things up? People will have to give up their cars and motorcycles to implement fully automated systems. Unfortunately I think many millennials let this defining part of American history go without a second thought.

I see this trend flourishing in Big cities but I don’t see it catching on in the rural areas. Try catching an Uber in nowhere’sville Montana.....

A lot of times people are catching Uber’s due to the cost of parking in big cities, traffic, and cost of living. When your paying $1,500 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment that doesn’t leave much room for a vehicle or recreational toy like a bike on minimum wage

I go too fast on the street anyway. I can't do it legally so the real use for these things is a closed course. Those won't go away. I'd still buy bikes and remove the autopilot.
I dont know, I have seen a lot of race tracks bulldozed over to make way for condos in my time. Electric bikes are a more likely short term future, quiet, fast and the racetracks will be able to coincide adjacent to the housing tracts without fear of noise constraints. Hell maybe even flying bikes?

Well, they can't even seem to get trains right yet...and they are on a track. A Google car crashed in vegas a few months ago.
Yes, the technology should be avail in 5 years, but it will take many many years to completely implement. Electric/hybrid cars have been around for quite some time, but due to new tech in batts and such, they now can be built affordably. I do see a time that some will buy or rent autonomous cars, but I do not see a time where all cars are autonomous ( in the next few centuries anyway).
I have this discussion with younger pilots about airlines. Yes, tech is there, but we will not see a pilotless cockpit for many reasons....even if they perfect a computer that can reason.
I def agree with you Arch that the "kids" today are not interested in cars, bikes, and just plain living!
But, like mentioned, I won't be around to see it! And the youngsters that will, won't care!
Troy
Btw Arch...u need to go out and ride more! Ur not safe behind the keyboard!!!

Well, they can't even seem to get trains right yet...and they are on a track. A Google car crashed in vegas a few months ago.
Yes, the technology should be avail in 5 years, but it will take many many years to completely implement. Electric/hybrid cars have been around for quite some time, but due to new tech in batts and such, they now can be built affordably. I do see a time that some will buy or rent autonomous cars, but I do not see a time where all cars are autonomous ( in the next few centuries anyway).
I have this discussion with younger pilots about airlines. Yes, tech is there, but we will not see a pilotless cockpit for many reasons....even if they perfect a computer that can reason.
I def agree with you Arch that the "kids" today are not interested in cars, bikes, and just plain living!
But, like mentioned, I won't be around to see it! And the youngsters that will, won't care!
Troy
Btw Arch...u need to go out and ride more! Ur not safe behind the keyboard!!!

Ha ha great response man and probably very true!

Yup, It could happen!
When we stand around and think it won't and not do anything. They could take our arms too! This site could close too for that matter. It seems as if the only people with fight are the ones in the wrong. If nobody supports with $$, time or interest the people with time and $$ will win.

But then again like some things, you can make a shake in the blender without a lid, it can be done!

Here is a video.

At about 5:30 he start talking about having dirt bikes as kids and just being able to get in the and go ride anywhere. Now you can’t ride in your yard with out some snowflake calling the police. I don’t think it’s as much as millennials as it is society changing.

I see this trend flourishing in Big cities but I don’t see it catching on in the rural areas. Try catching an Uber in nowhere’sville Montana.....

A lot of times people are catching Uber’s due to the cost of parking in big cities, traffic, and cost of living. When your paying $1,500 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment that doesn’t leave much room for a vehicle or recreational toy like a bike on minimum wage

I grew up in rural Missouri and agree that even if this technology takes off in cities and urban areas it's not the same for the farmer who uses a truck to feed cattle on large farm or where the only road in is dirt and not on any map.

I think we are being fed agendas everyday and self driving cars articles are no different. Most on this site are Americans, take that as good or bad as you wish BUT we aren't giving up our freedom that easy and to go with that program means giving up a lot no matter how much "conditioning" they bombard us with. Calling for a ride being given times of availability etc will not fly with most of us.
(you) "Hello ride along? I would like to be taken to Publix now." (computer voice) "we can have 4 pm available for you."
(you) "Hello ride along? I would like to go for an hour cruising the countryside?" (computer voice) "That does not compute. State your destination." (you) "I want to just explore some scenic back roads" (computer voice) "I need a specific destination to plot an efficient coarse please press one for news or two for random music on the radio"
Add to that last year there were thousands, many thousands, of automotive recalls for automotive component failures, do you really think they are going to have trouble free self driving cars all over the highways being followed by a self driving 80,000 lb tractor trailers :crazy:
Oh yeah and every city giving up millions in revenue from traffic citations ha.

I think we are being fed agendas everyday and self driving cars articles are no different. Most on this site are Americans, take that as good or bad as you wish BUT we aren't giving up our freedom that easy and to go with that program means giving up a lot no matter how much "conditioning" they bombard us with. Calling for a ride being given times of availability etc will not fly with most of us.
(you) "Hello ride along? I would like to be taken to Publix now." (computer voice) "we can have 4 pm available for you."
(you) "Hello ride along? I would like to go for an hour cruising the countryside?" (computer voice) "That does not compute. State your destination." (you) "I want to just explore some scenic back roads" (computer voice) "I need a specific destination to plot an efficient coarse please press one for news or two for random music on the radio"
Add to that last year there were thousands, many thousands, of automotive recalls for automotive component failures, do you really think they are going to have trouble free self driving cars all over the highways being followed by a self driving 80,000 lb tractor trailers :crazy:
Oh yeah and every city giving up millions in revenue from traffic citations ha.

I get where you're coming from but I believe we are in the minority. Young people would gladly hand over any freedom if it means more texting time. I don't think the industry will have to force this on most, they will welcome it. Some are just lazy, for others like the old it will extend their independence considerably. As for accidents, no amount of failures will be as dangerous as letting idiots drive while texting. There will be revenue issues, as well as changes in industries like insurance and automotive repair.

Me "Hello computer I need you to take me and my boat to the Santa Fe boat ramp" (computer voice) "What do you mean 'trailer hitch'?" hahaha

BTW My kids would fight harder than me over this, lefty brainwashed college kids don't make up the majority. Maybe like Excurison says it may boil down to the dense city but not so much everywhere.

A lot of folks living in NY City, no longer have their own transportation. If they want to do a trip out to the country they would rent.

Did a three month assignment in Lubeck Germany three years ago. About 6o% of the population did not own vehicles, other than bicycles. Some of the folks I met and worked with told me that the only thing they hate about the USA is the fact that you need a vehicle to go anywhere.

Wait until something goes wrong and someone dies as a result of automated driverless cars... end of driverless cars. never gonna happen. guys.... remember 40 years ago when the scientists were all saying we were gonna run out of fossil fuels? oil... in particular? what happened there? As Muhammad Ali said.... they miscalculated.... they misjudged.... they got it wrong.... You guys think hillbillys are gonna let the US government take their pickup trucks away from them?... think again.

as far as NYC is concerned... traffic is soooooo bad.. u wouldn't want to drive a car... besides.. everything u want to do is a mere few blocks away.... and insurance is ridiculous... I know a girl I work with pays more for insurance than her car note is... 550 a month.

I'm 35 years old.... Everyone who knows me swears I was born in the wrong generation.... I drive a 5.0 coyote mustang(standard shift) IN THE SNOW ITS MY DD... a boosted hayabusa... just bought a condo in NY(short sale baby!).... I love boxing... but I can tell you that I'm not alone.... I hate this surging technology epidemic sooooooo much that I don't own a cell phone.... haven't in 10 years... it drives friends and family crazy.. I don't care.... I'm done with contracts and the cell phone industry as a whole.

chicks love cars too... (my significant other) BUSA in the backgraound.
1723718_491089040999925_176291889_n.jpg

Back