Are Motorcyclist A Dying Breed?

Hate to say it, but airlines have insurance for accidental deaths of course. When someone dies in a plane crash, everyone assumes the victim's families get millions. Actually, on average, airlines (insurance companies) pay out only $50,000 per head. Sux eh?! So, we can infer that a human life is only worth 50k. Hell, the average narrowbody airliner is about $70 mil. Perspective.
I hate the autonomous car idea. But it IS coming.
Troy

Auto drive cars are necessary. The will save cities billions in roads and other infrastructure. They will save tons of carbon. They will also improve people's lives: old people can get around longer, you can read the paper on the way to work, kids can get a ride to practice without Mom being a taxi. When these guys deployed the cars they already figured out how many people would die or be injured. They figured the cost into the project. The family of that person will be given a ton of money. It's just a cost of doing business. We may not want this but we need it and it's going to happen and no one will get in the way of this happening.
How will it save in roads?

I dunno guys.. I see that being an option... but americans don't wanna give up ALL our freedoms... or our toys... they said 60 years ago that the planet only had 30-40 years worth of crude oil... Let the government come and take my car.... or my weapons... this wont happen.... or at least.. we will have the option to drive ourself... at some point... another country might engage us in battle... and we as americans think we cannot be conquered... same as the ancient romans thought.... we shouldn't be soooo cocky as to think we know exactly how things will progress... or that the will of the people is to be chaeuffered around and watched 24/7... progress is all well and good as long as our individual rights aren't trampled...

the communists like to tell people what is necessary and what to do.... we need to be very very careful...

we design roads. Auto drive cars can move significantly more efficiently than people driven cars. No cell phones, distractions, etc. That means we can move more cars on the existing roads, that's where the savings is.

lol... it sounds crazy but WW2 wasn't that long ago... I can recall in depth conversations with my grandmother about living through the great depression and ww2... and the strange strange things they did to conserve money.... but really Hitler had a great plan.. granted he was one person and leader of a brutal ruling regime... but he had a plan to sell Volkswagons to people (touching on our debate on self driving cars).. it was economical.. german made and sold and their wasn't any need for any other vehicle.... so it was decided... german people were the master race and hitler knew what was best... he ran the numbers and so it was decided... take over the world and institute their culture.... and anybody who didn't like it was dealt with... UNTIL.... the will of the people of this great USA got involved along with others... and righted that wrong.... WW2 and motorcycle culture is intertwined... and I think parallels can be drawn in relation to freedom and motorcycle culture... but I wont go in depth I don't have to... Are motorcyclists a dying breed? Well.... we really have no way to compile the numbers from now and then.. but the SPIRIT of motorcycling wont ever be killed off because its part of the human condition... everyone wants to be free and that's the spirit of the motorcycling culture.....Whether its WW2 or right now.... we all know what its about.

Funny you should mention Hitler, as Germany invented the interstate which made high speed travel safe because there were no intersections. It was called the autobahn, and it was sold as freedom of movement for the residents of Germany. It's interesting because the plan was to move tanks around the country so the roads were thick concrete, some still exists. As for the VW, it still holds the record for the longest car in production at 50+ years, it maybe still in production somewhere (the current VW Beetle is actually not related to the original beetle mechanically). Contrary to popular belief, Ford did not invent the automobile, Mercedes did. Ford invented mass production. There were many German automobiles. BMW and Mercedes and several others. And the Porche was actually an evolution of the Beetle. BMW made mainly airplane engines during the war. Mercedes and VW made airplane engines and tanks. BMW started making motorcycles in the 20's I think. Funny they had that goofy boxer configuration just like up until pretty recently. The American motorcycle culture began with soldiers returning home who couldn't quite fit back into civilized society again. That's why they were mostly outlaws. The point being that that original love of freedom has eroded to a Harley in every garage that gets taken out once a year to ride with the boys and drink beer. Like everything, freedom has an evolving definition.

War interduced many people to motorcycles. It was cheep transportation they could drop from airplanes and get through almost anything. And when the war ended the military had tons on motorcycles they sold cheep so people could afford something they could not of before.

But I agree let’s not give this one to the Germans.

I for one are sick of all this new technology aimed at making peoples jobs defunct . Every time some bastard raves on about how good it is that drones will deliver items to your door , that driver less cars will replace taxis , and robots will eventually replace everyones manual labor job ... I feel dread in my guts .
What is driving all this , basically huge company profits . They are always honing , slashing , chipping away at peoples jobs , wages and always for the bastard shareholders . Half of those bastards don't even pay tax , because they are multi national ...Anyway , here is a example of people taking a stand against one of those smaller inventor trouble makers ...
IMG_0627.png

Well not liking where things are going isn't going to stop them from going there. Pandora was never able to put all the ills of the world back into her box. The industrial age is all but over, just like the agricultural age ended before that. Society moves on, people get displaced. We call it progress, I'm not convinced it is.

in our lifetime... I will not be forced to have a driverless car.... ill fight that poop tooth and nail.... the will of the people shall be done... if I'm forced to have a electric driverless car... ITS TIME FOR A REVOLUTION.

Back