Woman gets 15 years for running down motorcyclist

Djxtrodinaire

Registered
Breaking news - newsjournalonline.com

DAYTONA BEACH — A Kentucky woman, who said she was driving drunk after drinking mouthwash when she rear ended and killed a motorcyclist, was sentenced this afternoon to 15 years in prison.

Erika Selman, 22, pleaded no contest Nov. 6 to DUI manslaughter, DUI with property damage and resisting arrest with violence and was sentenced today by Circuit Judge R. Michael Hutcheson.

Holly Hill police said Selman was drunk and unruly when they found her at the scene of the crash that killed Christopher Maloney, 43, of Port Orange, in the 100 block of Ridgewood Avenue.

Maloney riding south on Ridgewood Avenue Jan. 14 and was stopped at a red light on his way home from work. Selman made no attempt to stop or take evasive action and slammed into the back of his motorcycle, police said.

Selman’s blood alcohol content was .183 and .184, police said, more than twice what’s considered drunk for motorists in Florida.

After the crash, Selman bailed out of jail and violated conditions of her release and absconded in February. She was caught in August in Dallas, Assistant State Attorney Dan Caldwell said.

Selman originally told investigators she had been drinking vodka, but later said she lied and actually had consumed Listerine mouthwash, Caldwell said.

"Her refusal to return to face consequences is not the action of a truly remorseful person," Caldwell argued.

Maloney was born on Christmas and his birthday was always special, especially to his nieces and neighborhood kids, because he dressed up as Santa Claus, his mother said after today's sentencing.

"He was due Dec. 14 but Chris took his time and arrived on Dec. 25," Marilyn Maloney said.

Selman’s attorney, Assistant Public Defender Frank Scott, told Hutcheson that Selman was always willing and ready to plead guilty and take responsibility for what she did. Scott asked that Selman be placed on probation or house arrest.

"There is really no words to ask you about forgiveness," Selman told the family, saying she entered the plea because she knows she is guilty.

:banghead:

When it your Time it's Your Time...................15 Years is not Enough..............God Bless the Family of Both Victims :please:

R.I.P. Christopher Maloney

fallen_riderz.jpg

i think a DUI homicide should be considered 2nd degree murder. I mean, the victim has no chance to be free in 15yrs. He's gone, hopefully a better place.

I keep hoping the legal system will catch up with reality. We as motorcyclists are people too. Eventually, we'll be seen that way; and not as just another dead biker.

yesterday in erie we had a biker hit but not killed...serious injury to leg (cold ride i bet) and witnesses commented on the news that the van pulled out infront of the bike and cut the biker off (biker was on a honda cbrXXX not sure hope it wasnt a kid i ride with occasionaly to work ..dont know him just we always end up together lol...or my brothers freind from highschool) ill try to get more details
oh and yes they are pressing charges against the driver of the van!!!:cheerleader:

She fled and they want her released on bail? How messed up is the legal system again?

No she bailed out and jumped bail running to Texas. That was the condition of release she violated. Sometimes the news paper is confusing.

Drinking mouthwash can be a sign of alcoholism. She is only 22 and to that point.

I feel bad for the family. Watch your 6's guys.

what happened to the "bike builder" that ran some guy on a scooter over? forgot his name but he had a Chrysler endorsement deal at the time and ran the guy over with the truck..

Back