Are Motorcyclist A Dying Breed?

I can recommend that bike! Frankly, not sure the Akrapovic's are worth the extra $3K for slip ons. OEM sound is not bad and the slip ons don't do that much to improve it. OEM sounds like a high end sports sedan, sort of a muffled growl. There are also a BMW version and retail version (retail version is not out yet, no full exhaust either). The BMW one is covered under warranty, retail isn't. There is a company called REMUS that makes some loud and nasty alternatives for the K1600.

Looking at all the new baggers out on the market, comparing price, they are all relatively close to the same compared BMW, Indian, and Harley.

Harley is getting some serious threats from the competition. Not only are more company's making baggers, almost all of then offer more performance and more features. Harley's strength has always been it's devoted fans of the culture. But those guys are getting old and young riders see Harleys as old man's bikes. They are in a bad place. Keep things the same and their customers die off. Change things and the trade a loyal following for real competition in a crowded market.

Harley is getting some serious threats from the competition .

Not only are more company's making baggers,
almost all of then offer more performance and more features .

Harley's strength has always been
it's devoted fans of the culture .

But those guys are getting old
and young riders see Harley's
as old man's bikes .

They are in a bad place .

Keep things the same
and their customers die off .

Change things and they trade a loyal following
for real competition in a crowded market .

I was watching a motovlog this morning that claims millennials are ruining motorcycling. His contention is that because millennials are sitting in Starbucks texting, they don't appreciate the road or the call to it. I think there is a lot of truth to this. I'll try to not be offensive but millennials just don't seem to value mechanical things, being outdoors or the DIY spirit that is an essential part of the sport of motorcycling.

But there are bigger threats to our sport than just a shrinking audience. I was reading an article that said completely autonomous cars are only 5 years away. The author postulates that young people won't even bother to learn to drive in 8 years because the car will do that for them. Even worse, people may not even bother to own transportation. All travel will be Uber-like. Just call a car on your phone and one will come for you, no driver, waiting for your command.

Imagine Ford, GM and Honda produce and run linked, autonomous transportation modules. They rent them to passengers by the ride through automatic billing through your phone. These transportation modules would move at 100+ miles an hour on main routes and will de-link from the high speed trains to slow down for your stop. Gone will be traffic, accidents, and all this will be electric powered. This will be undoubtedly more efficient but what we will lose is the personal connection to getting from place to place. Why own a car is a computer is going to drive it?

Once autonomous vehicles become ubiquitous, human piloted vehicles will be dangerous. Automated vehicles will be moving in a perfectly choreographed, crash-free dance at some very high speeds (100 mph, more at times). Imagine mixing human piloted vehicles in that chaos? Yes, autonomous vehicles could be equally skilled at avoiding vehicles not a part of the "whole", but more likely we'll see human piloted cars relegated to specific less traveled roads and eventually to "driven vehicle reserves".

Sound like science fiction? I was talking to a friend and he said: "It will take them years just to develop the technology for all that stuff, I don't see any of that happening and time soon." What people don't realize is this has been happening for 25+ years. Microsoft, Google & Apple all have functional autonomous vehicle prototypes. Virginia Tech has been running autonomous vehicles around Blacksburg, VA for years, and state legislatures around the country are changing laws to allow driverless cars.

If the technology exists and it's more efficient, greener, and safer, what's holding things up? People will have to give up their cars and motorcycles to implement fully automated systems. Unfortunately I think many millennials let this defining part of American history go without a second thought.
To a certain degree , I agree , over here "old school " riders are few and far between. I see a lot of self indulgent yuppies who buy bikes ie Ducatis, 600cc sports for going to and from their local coffee shop, most don't wear the right gear, some wear colour matching leathers, most will never go to a rally here as it's either too cold or too far away from home . Most are just posers. You know the "look at me" group

I personally think there is plenty of millennials still buying bikes, but they are all too busy talking trash right now on the other gixer forums. Some of them might be as you as 10 years old. LOL!!! I remember trying to find info about my 2009 gsxr600 and just shaking my head reading the comments on some of the “crotch rocket” forums. I never bothered signing up to any of them. Actually, the first forum ever I joined was the .ORG. Now back to rider’s age groups.............I sold the gsxr and bought the busa when I was 25 years old and have a few coworkers my age that also ride. I’m also that guy that refuses to buy an car with an AUTO in it, but I’m sure I’m in the minority. I guess your perception will vary depending on the area you live in and forums you interact, but Florida is full of “squids” and they are easy to find. Actually, they find me everytime I take the mustang out. All they want to do is pull up to my window and start reving their engines, but I have never engaged any of them and just ignore them. I don’t want any blood in my hands from one of them crashing and killing themselves trying to race me.

Harley is getting some serious threats from the competition. Not only are more company's making baggers, almost all of then offer more performance and more features. Harley's strength has always been it's devoted fans of the culture. But those guys are getting old and young riders see Harleys as old man's bikes. They are in a bad place. Keep things the same and their customers die off. Change things and the trade a loyal following for real competition in a crowded market.

Dang, I like old man bikes. LOL

Old school and newbies coffee night in ponsonby Auckland

20180227_192638.jpg

My Busa is the most fun i have had in this life on the road and every time i get for a ride i sure dont understand why more people dont get a bike.Yes, i have a car to in a Volvo S80 2.5T with bigger Turbo and software tuning who we now have squeezed out 320 hp on.Fun but for sure not as fun as the Busa.My BIGGEST dream if it ever come true is to cross America on a bike when i have read that there are some adventure companys who could make this true.Two of my pals tried this some years ago on there own but when there visum finally was extended some sheriff in Arizona on the road side sent them home again ha ha ... But today it is a memory for life.There are two kinds of people in this world.The ones who likes bikes and the others. :)

How many people died at the hands of human drivers that day? You can be sure they are insured against those cars killing someone. It was bound to happen sooner or later.
they have insurance that allows them to kill people and continue business as usual? I would go after the jugular vein if i was the deceased persons family.. my whole life would be dedicated to going after them by any means necessary.

they have insurance that allows them to kill people and continue business as usual? I would go after the jugular vein if i was the deceased persons family.. my whole life would be dedicated to going after them by any means necessary.
and i wouldn't take a settlement...

Auto drive cars are necessary. The will save cities billions in roads and other infrastructure. They will save tons of carbon. They will also improve people's lives: old people can get around longer, you can read the paper on the way to work, kids can get a ride to practice without Mom being a taxi. When these guys deployed the cars they already figured out how many people would die or be injured. They figured the cost into the project. The family of that person will be given a ton of money. It's just a cost of doing business. We may not want this but we need it and it's going to happen and no one will get in the way of this happening.

Back