I hit an IDIOT motorcyclist!

stkr00

Slower Traffic Keep Right ! ! &#
Donating Member
Registered
This is somewhat of a rant, so turn away now if you wish. I'll try to keep it short.
rant.gif

I was in California last week with my wife and daughter. Saturday, the 15th, the wife and I went to the San Diego Zoo, and then we were going to go to Miramar MCAS to get my Father-in-Law a Marine Corps shirt for a souvenier (He's an ex-Marine).

We are waiting at a stop light to turn left. We have a <span style='color:red'>RED</span> turn arrow we have to wait on. While I'm sitting there, I see a motorcycle pull up behind me. Looked similar to a busa due to the single headlight, but then I noticed the GSX on the fairing. He was right at the passenger side rear corner of our rental car. I also had time to notice that he was wearing a blue/grey Fox jacket, and a matching full-face helmet. Looked pretty well suited up.

I focused back on the light while still waiting for it to change to a <span style='color:green'>GREEN</span> arrow. We were the only two people at this friggin light. When the light changed to a green arrow, I released the brake and applied the gas.

<span style='color:blue'>READY FOR THIS ? ? ?</span>

Not one second later, I felt a bump and heard a thud, then noticed that there was this FUGGIN MORRON on a Suzuki GSX-? propped up against my right <span style='color:red'>FRONT</span> fender. I hit the brakes and he caught himself with his left foot as he looked right back at me, then took off.

I was like.....WTF? How the fugg did I hit that guy, and then I realized what happened.

He was using the California rules of "White Lining", but he was using them to pass on the outside(right side) of a left turn. He must have misjudged the turn and leaned in too soon. I think he was figuring on being at the line when the light changed, but he didn't make it. My rental Dodge Stratus must have launched too quick for him....yeah, right!

I tried following him to see if he was okay, and to ask why he was such a friggin idiot, but when he realized it, he took off. Not like a Busa taking off, but quicker than the rental car. I was telling the wife to call the police, and she was yelling at me to pull over to check for damage. Not a good time in the car.

I was so pissed at that guy for not even stopping to appologize or anything. I honestly wanted to let the guy know that I also ride, and would never do anything to endanger a biker, but his actions prevented me from doing anything to avoid it. This was a Tee intersection with only a left turn off of the main highway, so there wasn't any traffic to watch for on the right side.

For those who live in California: Does "White-Lining" apply to any/all traffic situations, or just the freeways? Is it legal to pass on the outside of a vehicle in a turn?

I'm still pissed that I don't know who it was, and that he probably thinks I'm just some stupid-ass cager who doesn't know how to look for bikes.

Okay, that's it. Just had to share. It's been eating me up inside.

rant.gif

EDIT: Never did get the damn USMC shirt either.
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084922940 -->

rant.gif

Yer OK Sticker.
cool.gif

This yahoo prolly knew it was his own fault & thought you wanted to do the insurance thing for the bump on the car.

Just goes to show there are idiots on 2 wheels also.

I don't know the laws of that but, what an idiot! I am sure that it is not intended to pass like that in a turn. Did you have to pay for the rental damage? Did you get the tag #?

Hey stkr00 -

Sorry dude.. I was like late for work, I wanted to stop and say sorry, but I was late and you looked pissed and I didnt want to have to kick your arse in front if your family..

ok ok,,, jussst kidding... just thought I would get that blood preasure up a little bit for you
smile.gif

poke.gif

I live in California (Not Southern though, I was no where near San Diego, I swear
smile.gif
)

All I know about white lining is that we can split lanes. And that is it as far as I know. I dont think it is legal to share a lane in a turn, not to mention just plane stupid. And did I mention it is not too smart either?

The guy HAD to have been a squid. I dont think anyone with any riding experiance under their belt would have tried something like that.

Oh well.. natural selection almost takes its course again
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084940693 -->

smile.gif

smile.gif

Thanks Thrasherfox, and all, hearing it from someone that lives in Cali makes me feel better. There was only a very small scratch on the car. The rest rubbed off, so they didn't see anything.

Natural selection would have worked if I hadn't stopped so quick.
wink.gif

Stupid is as stupid does... Dipshits everywhere, waiting to be darwinized...
wink.gif

That sucks, but at least it was a low speed accident with no injuries. My best-friend killed a guy on a Harley on his way to work a few years back.

It sounds like the guy had a case of brain fade. If he was well suited up, at least he knows to dress, not just shorts and sneakers. Hey, I think we all screw up now and then. ( no, I was on the other side of the country, if you are wondering) I can see how it would piss you off, it would me too, but it makes for a good story, and reminds us all to be aware.

Thanks all. Just needed to vent and get it off of my chest.
beerchug.gif

White Lining: This is where a motorcycle is allowed to ride in-between lanes of cars along the "white dashed line". The only place I know of that it is legal is California, but there may be other places. I've seen them do it while I've been out there a few times before in the Reserves. It makes sense to allow the bikes to do this, but they are normally only going about 5-10 mph over the speed of the cars, and it is usually when traffic is all backed up. The cagers can actually get ticketed for trying to block a motorcyclist.

The guy that I hit was just a stupid squid that wasn't using his brain. I don't mind people that use white lining, I just can stand idiots.

Thanks for listening everybody.
biggrin.gif

I live in So. Cal and we can split lanes when the traffic is backed up. It sounds like a good idea but it can be scary. Think about it your ridding between the cars and all of the sudden a car cuts right in front of you because the other lane will get them one car further, of course they were on their cell phone and did not see you. When I split lanes I try to only go 10 mph faster than traffic so I have a better chance of stopping if that should happen. I have seen guys on bike going 50-60 mph over what traffic is going spliting lanes. That is just a accident waiting to happen. I dont know how many times I've been spliting lanes and someone in a car either pull in front of me or veers over to close the gap between the cars to unpassable, they are usually on the phone,reading or putting on makeup.

I think the idea of spliting lanes was to help the bikes stay cool in stop and go traffic.

Back