Anyone ever cross country road trip?

eric wiseman

Registered
So I'm coming into my mid-life crisis meeting my kid life turning into adult responsibilities phase. Enter me getting a busa. It gets me thinking. I keep seeing posts of the forum gods with 60k+ on busas, pics in the mountains, the best scenery in the states. Actually using saddlebags for touring...

Has anyone ever gone cross country?

I'm in Michigan. I think to myself, ive never seen the ocean, And never been south of Indy, west of Chicago, east of Detroit, or north in Canada. It's fun to dream, but how cool would it be to pack a sleeping bag, backpack of esentials, and lose yourself. Go get a slice of pie in the big apple, lobster in Maine, visit dc for a day, find a southern belle, grab some Texas BBQ, pacific coast highway north, head through the mountains east and head home.

A few months of a ride. Stories to tell your grandkids forever. What would be involved? Maybe 300-400 miles a day for a few, camp overnight and once every 2 or 3 days get a motel, sh** shower and shave do some laundry and be on your way again for a while. I'm not sure if this is totally a crack pipe idea/dream or possible.

Anybody ever do something like this? It'd be fun to play goldwing for 10k miles...

Man we did 3900 miles in 12 days last year and it was an unbelievable experience. We need to chat on the phone.

Would you guys have liked more time and more sights to see? You guys both were who came to mind first. I would love to do a lap of the us, meet with forum members here and there, just take way to long doing nothing. So what were your experiences?

. So what were your experiences?

6 months later, left on another 10,000 mile journey to nowhere.
No money, just a credit card, 20 lbs of military rations and a sleeping bag. A month on the road, you never forget stuff like that.

Motorcycle Journey- Mount Saint Helens via Crater Lake, Oregon | Pashnit.com

KenaiPenn.jpg

My cross-country days are done for now (3 kids), but the Busa will have have 90,000 on it by the end of the tour season. :thumbsup:

The rule is stop over thinking it and just go.

KenaiPenn.jpg

Last edited:
there's a lot of folks on here, including me, that lives for the long ride. any bike can be set up to do anything. heck it wasnt too long ago a 750 was a huge bike, and couples rode across the country on 500 silverwings, and the 350 was the most popular mechine out there.
welcome to your midlife crisis. im enjoying mine.:beerchug:
heres a link to an inspiring ride on a busa. texas to purdhoe bay..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196924

Last edited:
As said above the hardest part of any long ride is the prep work, just be prepared to be UN-prepared :whistle: but then again that's what makes the trip so much more of an adventure. I've never been coast to coast but have rode to the coast and then some...
I'd say get your biker butt by putting some saddle time in prior to your departure!
Average day depends on the number of stops you make and your budget, for me try to travel the most miles on the first and last day of the trip and I always stay in a hotel on those days.

I was planning to leave out may 15th from NC and ride to my aunts in los angeles. But that plan went down the drain when I bought my first house with the soon to be wife. Maybe next year, its on my list of must do things.
Posted via Mobile Device

I did 2194 miles in 3 days on mah busa. had tank bag, 55L asaddlebags, and backpack. Heated gear + rain gear is a must. I ran through 6 hours of rain, 4 hours of snow. highest temp was about 75 and lowest temp was about 20.

standard tools, flashlight, tire repair, socks, change of clothes or 3, more socks, i carried some personal protection because i was going by myself, probably fresh tires, chain wax, WD40, clear and smoke visor, water, noms, and im sure there are some more things.

Back