do you carry during a cross country drive?

ogre

Call me Liberace!
Registered
i'm getting ready to go cross country to report to my training duty station. i want to bring my beretta, as i'll likely be carrying a bit of travel money. thing is, i have to turn in the pistol to my unit armory when i get to ft campbell. is it worth the pain in the ass, or should i just not carry cash?

For a second there, I thought the word cross-country meant on the bike. :thumbsup:
Carry cash, that just makes sense. But the bulk of your purchases like gas are super-easy when you use plastic.

Not sure how the gun & money are related though? ???

If I'm not mistaken,gun law vary from state to state. Stuff like CC permits from one state doesn't necessarily work in another state etc...

i'd just have it in the jeep, not necessarily on my person. and obviously carry into my hotel room. i'm not gonna carry into dennys or something. just night time fuel stops, any sketchy areas, etc. i don't normally carry cash, especially larger amounts, so i'm a lil bit nervous. someone steals my card, i can call the bank and cancel it, someone steals cash and i'm just SOL.

For a second there, I thought the word cross-country meant on the bike. :thumbsup:
Carry cash, that just makes sense. But the bulk of your purchases like gas are super-easy when you use plastic.

Not sure how the gun & money are related though? ???

i WISH it was on the busa, but no, i'll be in my jeep.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

make sure its legal first. go for it. i travel all over the u.s. and never been confronted. i only use my cards at atms, its easier to track fraud for me this way. use your head and you'll be fine.

few tips.
keep your cell charged and on you if you leave the vehicle.
never carry cash in front pockets.
never open wallet wide open, and dont pull out money then count it out. count it as youre paying out.
dont store cash in things people will steal. i.e. suit cases, computer bags, portable safes, etc
when at your motel never leave anything in plain site. if you stay long term maids are bad about leaving doors open when cleaning. anything thats seen is more likely to be stolen.
use atms in well lit and monitored places preferably not late at night. we've a few guys robbed leaving bars....
try to get down to one bag/suitcase for overnight. making multiple trips to and from car. allows people to watch you and confront you.

i may be a little on the paranoid side, but i travel and work in some sketchy places and im alone alot of the time. i may or may not have a gun but always have a knife, and try to monitor my surroundings pretty well. you may be surprised at how you carry yourself will lead people to approach you or not. ive been with timid people that get railroaded into a big fiasco by bums, dealers, prostitutes and etc by just being to shy/timid or whatever. i tell them exactly how i feel never stop moving and dont enter an argument or conversation.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

make sure its legal first. go for it. i travel all over the u.s. and never been confronted. i only use my cards at atms, its easier to track fraud for me this way. use your head and you'll be fine.

few tips.
keep your cell charged and on you if you leave the vehicle.
never carry cash in front pockets.
never open wallet wide open, and dont pull out money then count it out. count it as youre paying out.
dont store cash in things people will steal. i.e. suit cases, computer bags, portable safes, etc
when at your motel never leave anything in plain site. if you stay long term maids are bad about leaving doors open when cleaning. anything thats seen is more likely to be stolen.
use atms in well lit and monitored places preferably not late at night. we've a few guys robbed leaving bars....
try to get down to one bag/suitcase for overnight. making multiple trips to and from car. allows people to watch you and confront you.

i may be a little on the paranoid side, but i travel and work in some sketchy places and im alone alot of the time. i may or may not have a gun but always have a knife, and try to monitor my surroundings pretty well. you may be surprised at how you carry yourself will lead people to approach you or not. ive been with timid people that get railroaded into a big fiasco by bums, dealers, prostitutes and etc by just being to shy/timid or whatever. i tell them exactly how i feel never stop moving and dont enter an argument or conversation.

+1 on that....I think ridgeway pretty much covered it....Knifes are legal everywhere....Get you a couple, which im sure you have one or two.

But I thought as long as you had the weapon and the ammo separate, that it was legal to transport in any state. Especially during a move or something like that:dunno: but like ridgeway said, definitely check first in the states you are going to be traveling. I would carry it if you can.....:thumbsup: Good luck !!!!!!!

Know the laws in every state you plan on going through as stated above not all states recognize cc of other states and some have different laws if you are carrying and you would have to be aware and abide by those laws.

We all know the horror gun stories for New York, but some states if you are puled over even with cc permit and you don't tell them you are carrying the moment you talk to them you have committed a felony. Down here in FL if they don't ask we don't tell better to get your ticket and move on as quickly as possible. Takes forever for a traffic stop if they find you are packing down here.

+1 on that....I think ridgeway pretty much covered it....Knifes are legal everywhere....Get you a couple, which im sure you have one or two.

But I thought as long as you had the weapon and the ammo separate, that it was legal to transport in any state. Especially during a move or something like that:dunno: but like ridgeway said, definitely check first in the states you are going to be traveling. I would carry it if you can.....:thumbsup: Good luck !!!!!!!

there are some places youre not allowed to own a pistol if residing without a permit. since youre traveling run a copy of this off, since not all LEO know you can transport a legally owned weapon from one place to another. 18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute and keep gun and ammo locked seperately if traveling through one of these communist places. i was in new york for some time and this is the reason i kept a shotgun in my motel room.

i don't mean concealed carry when i say carry, i mean just posses in the vehicle during the drive. it sounds like a pain in the ass. i'll have a ka-bar, a benchmade folder, and a microtech with me, along with a small but very sharp axe. maybe i'll just stick to knives. it sounds like a nightmare of a pain in the ass just to carry something that i probably won't need.

Shot gun from state to state is ok, a handgun.... well in New York having one with you and not having a State of New York permit can buy you a year in jail....

Carry Concealed check out this link to keep from getting into trouble when taking a gun with you.

I never travel without mine unless I am going through a state that will not consider my CC from VA. Here is a list that might help with that.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

In todays time I would have it with me if at all possible. I am sure you can take care of yourself but its always nice to have a little help :laugh: Have a safe trip. Hope to see ya soon

In New York you can have the gun in one spot and the ammo in another in a car and your still in trouble if you don't have a New York State permit. And when you go to buy gas what are you going to do? load up the gun and then leave it in the car on the seat? If your using cash your not going to pay at the pump your going to walk inside.. Are you going to tak the gun with you then? New York is tough did you know you can have a New York State permit for handgun but it is no good in New York City... You would be arrested having a gun with you there and a permit, if you did not have special permission.

The CC laws are getting to me more uniform and recognized in other states than they were a few years ago. That doesn't mean you can feel like you are completely legal in every county of every state you go through.

Used to be I would contact the state police dept of the states I was going through to see how they saw a CC permit holder going through their state and what their mindset was if they came across one. They can give you some good information and most are ok with it.

I would be most concerned about towns, counties, or state laws that do not allow guns on a person at all or require some sort of special carrying requirements like unloaded, cased, and out of reach that your cc permit does not override, especially being from another area. Again a call to the state police dept can give you some good information on the area you will be traveling through.

PS: Is it still considered a concealed weapon if it's in your home and your home is on wheels and pulled behind your truck? :laugh:

Read your laws thru the states you travel, but heck yes. But you don't "look like a sheep" so it's not likely someone would consider you a target. If you are on duty, wear uniform and people (likely including police if caught speeding) will leave you alone.

If you don't want to take it on post, If you want I can store it for you - or maybe one of the other Clarksville members.

One thing I've learned about CCW and reciprocity is to WATCH OUT FOR SCHOOL ZONES! They are different for resident permits than out of state carriers. Hate to have you wind up in jail over some cash..

Have you thought about just getting travelers checks?

Ogre from your pics I don't think you look like a sheep to a predator. It would be more like the sheep attacking a bear :)

That being said. Guys I dont think he has a permit to carry. If not Ogre you really need to track your route and study the laws of every state you plan on traveling thru. Some may allow it to be close to you ready to go inside jeep but without a permit I fear most may require it to be unloaded securely cased in your trunk. If you have one? I guess a jeep doesnt have a trunk. So again best case is to study laws for each state. Your are not carrying you are transporting. There is a difference. Interstate transport of firearms can be tricky in some states.

Besides my .45 Auto, .38 Airweight and .22 Mag 5 shot Derringer, I'd never carry a weapon.

ogre,

Take it from an old SFC with a couple of moves under my belt, you don't want to attempt to carry a pistol onto any military base without the proper paperwork. If you are not PCSing there it would be more trouble than it's worth to try to take a pistol. What training are you doing at Ft Campbell anyway? And you was talking about carry large amounts of cash, ever heard of an ATM card. That would prevent the need for that.

Back